The importance of your smartphone

McT

The Humble Scot!
It has been my best investment in many a moon.

Hemps

Honorary Master
I just love stuffing around on it!
Checking out all the apps, there are some I use daily as well.

Dan C

Honorary Master
What does a phone have to have to qualify as a 'smart phone' ?

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
I don't bother with my phone. Especially over weekends when I don't carry it around with me at all.

I guess its got to do with nothing revolutionary has happened in the cellphone sector in ages so in a manner of speaking I'm bored with my phone.

Also my phone is always ringing and it feels at times that I have no time of my own so that's also a reason why I only carry it with me if I expect and important call.

AniV

Expert Member
I love my smartphone. 2 years ago I saw no need for Internet on my cellphone. Why would I possibly want to surf the web on a cellphone? Now I live on my phone. I do everything through it. I take it everywhere with me. If I don't have it with me I feel disconnected and vulnerable.
I love having my email with me wherever I go. I love being able to look up anything whenever I need to know something NOW. I love having Maps and never getting lost again. I love being able to IM my friends without needing to sit at a computer. I save a lot of money using internet-based apps and functions rather than making calls and sending expensive SMS'.

Unlike Grav80, my phone rarely ever gets used for calls, so it doesn't feel like it intrudes. And if I want to be disconnected, I turn all alerts off and leave it somewhere nearby. I would never leave home without my smartphone.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Unlike Grav80, my phone rarely ever gets used for calls, so it doesn't feel like it intrudes. And if I want to be disconnected, I turn all alerts off and leave it somewhere nearby. I would never leave home without my smartphone.
Hang on.

Does a tablet count as a "smart phone"? Can someone please clarify? Because that i have with me almost always, but I don't use it for calls though :)

RVQ

Expert Member
Boss left his phone in the kitchen and few weeks ago, picked it up and with a slide of a finger had access to his entire life with no password.

Niren_M

Boss left his phone in the kitchen and few weeks ago, picked it up and with a slide of a finger had access to his entire life with no password.
That's not the phone's shortcoming, but your boss'. Smartphones have the security to be password locked/protected when inactive for a certain period of time.

RVQ

Expert Member
That's not the phone's shortcoming, but your boss'. Smartphones have the security to be password locked/protected when inactive for a certain period of time.
Something quite a few people don't bother with, not good for him but me, I'm now the highest paid toilet cleaner in the world

AniV

Expert Member
Hang on. Does a tablet count as a "smart phone"? Can someone please clarify? Because that i have with me almost always, but I don't use it for calls though :)
A Tablet only classifies as a "smartphone" if it can make or receive calls. If it can't call, it ain't a phone. :)
The reason my phone rarely gets used for calls is because I personally dislike telephones and speaking in/through/on/at them. I hate it. There's nothing that irks me more than having a handset up against my ear talking to someone, be it a landline phone or a cellphone. Erk! So the lack of calls is more about that.

Besides, when I can IM, email, BBM, WhatsApp or Tweet someone, why would I ever need to call them? :D If they don't have any of those other options, I might consider an SMS. My unofficial motto is "Don't call me, I won't call you. I wouldn't answer anyway!"

Kdaisy

I love my smartphone. 2 years ago I saw no need for Internet on my cellphone. Why would I possibly want to surf the web on a cellphone? Now I live on my phone. I do everything through it. I take it everywhere with me. If I don't have it with me I feel disconnected and vulnerable.
I love having my email with me wherever I go. I love being able to look up anything whenever I need to know something NOW. I love having Maps and never getting lost again. I love being able to IM my friends without needing to sit at a computer. I save a lot of money using internet-based apps and functions rather than making calls and sending expensive SMS'.

+1

Same with me. I just love this little guy!

It's just so much easier than having to start up the pc and be situated at one spot coz the smartphone travels with me and everything is a button away. Really very convenient and smart. Lol.

I have the bottom of the range smartphone and am happy as mud with it. Viva our little smartyphones!!

:-D

Nameite

Expert Member
I always browsed the net with my old cellphone, just found it very limiting...now with my Defy, I can go anywhere (with a spare battery and charger) without getting lost (google map and a compass)

No matter if it rains, or sunny, I can check important emails, receive calls on GSM or Skype, check various msgs from ppl anywhere in the world, do my banking and shop online

I must say though...I lost my instinctive sense of direction after relying on this thing so much....