The incredible story behind Afrihost

sand_man

Honorary Master
Great story. What school did the 3 founding members attend?

That R29 per gb deal was high risk high reward marketing strategy. Boy, did it pay dividends though?!

I recall well the decision to partner up with mtn. At the time I considered afrihost to be a customer centric company and mtn to be anything but. Mtn was like a bogey on the face of a princess. So glad that partnership dissolved.

Great company, great story, great to see them go from strength to strength.

MEG101

That R29 per gb deal was high risk high reward marketing strategy. Boy, did it pay dividends though?!

I recall well the decision to partner up with mtn. At the time I considered afrihost to be a customer centric company and mtn to be anything but. Mtn was like a bogey on the face of a princess. So glad that partnership dissolved.

I remember the days when I thought R29 per GB was too good to be true. I purchased 5GB to test out and boy, was I pleasantly surprised. I only had a 384 kbps line back then and the 5GB per month was way more than enough. When I bumped the line to 512kbps I upped the 5GB to 10GB and I loved it!! Ever since it was pure internet joy!! Well done Afrihost for providing the country with affordable internet.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Ah, the yearly puff piece of how amazing and incredible Afrihost is to help sponsor those Fibre/ADSL/5G connections mybroadband has ;)

Was wondering when it would pop up
I guess someone has to see the bad in everything, even if they have to make up lies to convince themselves it is the case.

I was one of Afrihost's early hosting customers in 1999 when the company was not even called Afrihost yet. Since then I continued to support them because of their great service. I really like the company and their staff.

And to address your comment - We pay for all our Afrihost services. We also pay Rain, Supersonic, Vodacom, MTN, Telkom, and others. We do not have any sponsored lines.

martinvictor

Arnstrong, Visser and Meintjes were all educated at King Edward VII Schools. The preparatory and high school. This school keeps on producing outstanding men in all fields of human endeavor.

Arnstrong, Visser and Meintjes were all educated at King Edward VII Schools. The preparatory and high school. This school keeps on producing outstanding men in all fields of human endeavor.

hj007

I remember the days when I thought R29 per GB was too good to be true. I purchased 5GB to test out and boy, was I pleasantly surprised. I only had a 384 kbps line back then and the 5GB per month was way more than enough. When I bumped the line to 512kbps I upped the 5GB to 10GB and I loved it!! Ever since it was pure internet joy!! Well done Afrihost for providing the country with affordable internet.
Yes we were all stuck with that 3gb is more than enough garbage. These guys changed the whole landscape with their R29 offer.

martinvictor

Goosfrabba

Expert Member
Only unanswered question is who will play Gian in the Hollywood film? Brad Pitt? Idris Elba?

Could work as a Michael Bay type movie

Budza

Executive Member
Great timing for this, as I'm about to re-join AH in March.

Good to get some of the history behind these guys.

I had good service from them previously. Pricing is great too.

I like that their Fibre upgrades/downgrades don't attract a fee.

Grep

Yeah I remember that dark time when AH decided to climb into bed with 'ol MTN, even though pretty much everyone screamed at the top of their voices to not do it.

But kudo's to having bounced back from that glitch in the matrix boys!

grok

Honorary Master
Pioneers, they pushed the envelope to help internet in South Africa to where we are now.

If it wasn't for competitors like these we'd still be paying huge per GB prices for bandwidth.

Yeah looking at you Telkom..

Juzzy

What a wonderful home grown success story! Well done Afrihost you should be as proud of you as we are as south Africans. To me you've always been the standard and never been on par with the other ISP's.

One of the few companies that I feel act with integrity and truly put your customers first. I'm happy to have been one for the past six years and not a complaint.

Congratulations and I wish you many more successful years ahead!

ProfA

Honorary Master
So you say Armstrong, Visser and Meintjes were all educated at King Edward VII Schools? At the preparatory and high school? And that this school keeps on producing outstanding men in all fields of human endeavor?