The iOS 15 Thread/Discussion

FiestaST

Honorary Master
iPadOS 15 Allows Apps to Use Up to 12GB of RAM on High-End iPad Pro, Up From Just 5GB

In June, we reported that starting with iPadOS 15, Apple is giving developers the ability to allocate their apps more RAM, allowing apps to use more of the available memory in the iPad to run faster and smoother.

Via an entitlement, Apple is giving developers the ability to let iPadOS know that certain functions of their apps may perform better if they have access to more system memory. Currently, Apple caps the amount of memory an app can use, mainly to ensure that a single app does not utilize all of a device's memory, impacting other core system functions.

Till now, we had limited information regarding specific details of this entitlement, including exactly how much RAM an app can request. However, with ‌iPadOS 15‌ launching on September 20, we now know that on the highest-end M1 iPad Pro, apps can use up to double the amount of RAM that was previously allowed.

The new details were shared by the developers behind the graphic design app Artstudio Pro, and according to their findings, on the highest-end ‌M1‌ ‌iPad Pro‌, which features 16GB of RAM, apps can request through the entitlement to use up to 12GB of that available memory. On the other ‌M1‌ ‌iPad Pro‌ models, which feature only 8GB of RAM, apps can request up to 6GB.

In both cases, even if an app informs iPadOS that additional memory is needed, iPadOS still allocates a 2GB buffer for the app, on top of the 4GB available for 16GB ‌iPad Pro‌ models, and the 2GB free for the other models.

The new change is likely to be most beneficial to graphically intensive apps, such as those for drawing, modeling, and photo and video editing. While the added RAM allocation is welcomed, some users may continue to argue that iPadOS is not taking full advantage of the hardware within ‌iPad‌, especially with the 11-inch and 12.9-inch ‌iPad‌ Pros powered by the ‌M1‌ chip.

Apple says the new entitlement will be available on "supported devices," and at this point, which devices are supported beyond the new ‌iPad‌ Pros is unknown. For example, this week, Apple released a new iPad mini and a new baseline ninth-generation ‌iPad‌, with 4GB and 3GB of RAM respectively. For these new models, Apple is unlikely to allow apps to request RAM above the system limit, as it may impact core functions of iPadOS.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
MacStories publishes comprehensive iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 review

Federico Viticci at MacStories is back at it again with another incredibly in-depth look at Apple’s latest iOS and iPadOS releases. This year, Viticci takes a detailed look at iOS 15 and iPadOS 15, which he describes as a “quieter release for even stranger times.”

iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 will be released to everyone later today, and Viticci’s review is designed to give readers a thorough look at everything new in this year’s updates. As he writes in the opening, the context of the iOS 15 release is important this year as the pandemic continues and Apple rides the wave of an incredibly successful iOS 14 release.

With the world coming to a halt due to the pandemic in early 2020, Apple could have easily seized the opportunity to slow down its pace of software updates, regroup, and reassess the state of its platforms without any major changes in functionality. But, as we found out last year, that’s not how the company operates or draws its product roadmaps in advance. In the last year alone, Apple introduced a substantial macOS redesign, pointer support on iPad, and drastic changes to the iOS Home Screen despite the pandemic, executing on decisions that were likely made a year prior.

Surprisingly, iOS 15 doesn’t introduce any notable improvements to what made its predecessor wildly popular last year. In fact, as I’ll explore in this review, iOS 15 doesn’t have that single, all-encompassing feature that commands everyone’s attention such as widgets in iOS 14 or dark mode in iOS 13.

As we’ll see later in the story, new functionalities such as Focus and Live Text in the Camera are the additions that will likely push people to update their iPhones this year. And even then, I don’t think either of them sports the same intrinsic appeal as widgets, custom Home Screens, or the App Library in iOS 14.

https://9to5mac.com/2021/09/20/macstories-ios-15-ipados-15-review/

https://www.macstories.net/stories/ios-and-ipados-15-the-macstories-review/

FiestaST

Honorary Master
19:00 SAST

What time will Apple release iOS 15 to the public?

Apple took the wraps off iOS 15 at WWDC in June with beta testing happening since then for developers and the public. With September right around the corner, the official release for the latest iPhone software is close and comes with an all-new Safari, Focus mode, Live Text, redesigned Notifications, Background Sounds, and more. Let’s look at answering the question “when does iOS 15 come out?”

Update 9/20: Apple is set to officially launch iOS 15, today, September 20. Here’s what time the update will likely land.

Last year, iOS 14 arrived at 1 pm PT / 4 pm ET. Interestingly, that was an outlier as Apple decided to launch the public release just one day after its iPhone 12 event.

This year, Apple returned to launching iOS 15 a week after the iPhone 13 event. And in years past, iOS 11, 12, and 13, were all made available at 10 am PT / 1 pm ET.

There’s no guarantee, but it seems likely Apple may launch iOS 15 at 10 am PT / 1 pm ET today, September 20.

https://9to5mac.com/2021/09/20/when-does-ios-15-come-out/

greg0205

Honorary Master
E_viURMVkAATwHE

Crumbl0x

Sweet, let's see how my SE 2016 runs this xP

Looking most forward to it on the Air 3 though!

bluepoole

Busy updating my iPhone now.

Already installed the public beta on my iPad last Wednesday, must say I’m very happy with the changes to iPadOS.

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
Sweet, let's see how my SE 2016 runs this xP

Looking most forward to it on the Air 3 though!

Incredible they kept this (SE 2016) and the Air 2 supported, I am tempted to pull out my old Air 2 and update but that thing now cannot stay on without sitting on a charger lol.

FiestaST

Honorary Master

Don’t like the new Safari on iOS 15? Here’s how to go back to the old design​

iOS 15 launches this week and brings with it a lot of new features including Live Text, Focus modes, a new Weather app, FaceTime enhancements as well as more features like FaceTime screen sharing coming later this year. However, one of the more drastic changes is to Safari. Apple has dramatically redesigned the layout of Safari, as well as adding new features like Tab Groups. However, if you don’t like the new UI, you can go back. Here’s how.

On the iPad, Apple has redesigned the tab bar with new button shapes and a compact layout option for how the tabs are arranged in the Safari toolbar.

On the iPhone, there is a more drastic change. The address bar now sits at the bottom of the screen above the toolbar, and there’s a new look for the tabs screen too. It’s fair to say that the default design on iOS 15 is a pretty big departure from what came before.

Why did Apple redesign Safari? Apple said they are bringing important controls closer to your fingers with a bottom-oriented appearance. That means the address bar is now easier to access with one hand, especially if you have a larger iPhone like an iPhone 13 Pro Max. As well as being able to tap into the address bar, you can also now swipe left and right on the tab bar to quickly switch between tabs with a gesture.

However, if you really don’t like the new UI of Safari, you can make it look and work like iOS 14 again. Mostly.

3FC94A11-AA95-4C7D-9B73-8ECC42D194B3.jpeg CA5CAB30-9D3F-4A3E-B746-03F10C68D551.jpeg

Crumbl0x

Ok so, I'm warming up to most of the changes. I'm a bit mad the Quick Note gesture can't be disabled on an iPad, and the three dots on the top doesn't look nice in some situations but I feel I'll get used to it.

On this Air 3, there is some slight microstutter with the App Drawer and Safari Tabs but I'm sure some updates will clear this out, as 13 -> 14 did with some other stutters at the time.
The iPhone is still mostly the same performance wise, which is astounding.

It'll take a bit but not bad, the extensions and whole placement widgets are very welcome.