Status
Not open for further replies.

dhez

ok kewl thanks boet!!

so i just follow the instructions nothing else??

light up a dobee for that!!!

Roost

Hi Guys

Some bad news- just dropped my iPhone straight onto its screen and cracked it to high heaven. I managed to add a piece of clear vinyl over the top to stop it from cutting my fingers in the mean time, buts its basically KO.

Any suggestions or references to repair or replace locally.

Thanx in advance

Just some feedback for everyone.

I ordered a screen from an ebay seller in Hong Kong http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OEM-For-App...20336QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262. Got it in 3 days, for $20, including postage.

I followed these instructions http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/09/18/fix-a-cracked-iphone-screen-on-the-cheap and was able to come up with a near perfect fix. Just added some black silicone between the glass and the silver edging to avoid dust entering and hey presto, a restored iphone screen

Total cost = R300.
Total time = 1.5 hrs
Result = 99.9% perfect

Good luck to anyone with the same issue- hope this helps.

Last edited:

fxit_man

Executive Member
Just some feedback for everyone.

I ordered a screen from an ebay seller in Hong Kong. Got it in 3 days, for $20, including postage. I followed these instructions http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/09/18/fix-a-cracked-iphone-screen-on-the-cheap and was able to come up with a near perfect fix. Just added some black silicone between the glass and the silver edging to avoid dust entering and hey presto, a restored iphone screen

Total cost = R300.
Total time = 1.5 hrs
Result = 99.9% perfect

Good luck to anyone with the same issue- hope this helps.

Good to hear man!!!

Thx for feedback! Do you have a link to the seller perhaps?

avdp

@Roost - thats great to know. Perhaps you can do a step-by-step for us so we can reference it if it ever happens to one of us as well pls?

Edit - oops, just saw your link. Did you just follow those steps and that was it?
thx

dhez

thanks guys unlucked the phone last night using pwnage! was great

Bluffhooi

Hello forumites!

Just thought I'd let you know that I contacted both Apple and Vodacom for the next podcast [Toys and Technology] and the standard answer was that they were under a non-disclosure agreement with regards to the iPhone. This means that all the details we have from release dates to prices are an educated guess at best. Most interesting though was that the media communications people were saying 'call us next week and we should have something for you'...so hopefully we will break it first on the next podcast.

d0b33

Honorary Master
Hello forumites!

Just thought I'd let you know that I contacted both Apple and Vodacom for the next podcast [Toys and Technology] and the standard answer was that they were under a non-disclosure agreement with regards to the iPhone. This means that all the details we have from release dates to prices are an educated guess at best. Most interesting though was that the media communications people were saying 'call us next week and we should have something for you'...so hopefully we will break it first on the next podcast.

Thanks for letting us know... let's hope they actually have something concrete to share in the next podcast.

Bluffhooi

It seems big enough to be all over the standard media platforms when the news breaks.

chris2.0

Also: *bump* for SwirlyMMS on CellC - anyone got it working?

A few pages back somebody did, but here's my working setup:

Cell C
MMSC: mms.cmobile.co.za/
Proxy: 196.031.116.250:8080 (or 9201)
APN: mms

Let me know if it works for you?

Anybody else has a problem sending international sms's on CellC? I can send locally, but try as I might, I can't send to NZ... I tried the following as well:

"SMS send problem

Actually it is not problem You have to put in SMS center number for Your GSM provider:

*5005*7672*XXXXXXXX# Call

where XXXXXXXX is number of SMS center and SMS should work." (Cell C xxxxxxxxx = +2784 1000 000) Is this right?

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
A few pages back somebody did, but here's my working setup:

Cell C
MMSC: mms.cmobile.co.za/
Proxy: 196.031.116.250:8080 (or 9201)
APN: mms

Let me know if it works for you?

Boom! worked! ;)

Secret was to remove 'http://' from the 'MMSC' field, s'pose that was rather retarded of me - thanks a stack though!

Your int'l MMS: can you send from other handsets on your account? I know that that has to be specifically set up by your network for your account.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
Anyone use Customize 2?
Having huge hassles:
- installer keeps telling me to update it and each time I do it 'ping-pongs' between two version numbers: 1.3 & 1.0B
- uninstalled Summerboard cos Customize wouldn't work (despite the announcements to say that it would) and now barley any of the Customize themes work
- huge annoyance in taht it tried to connect every time you open the app so forget about changing themes wherever/whenever have to be at home in range of wifi

...unless I am being an eedjit this app is a P.O.S.

EDIT:1.1.3 Firmware BTW.

Last edited:

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
I am an eedjit - from the Customize FAQ:

5. My wallpapers don't work, what's up?
Make sure you have installed SummerBoard before you apply the wallpaper. Then once you do apply the wallpaper, make sure your SummerBoard theme is set to Customize and you have "Wallpaper" and "Theme Wallpaper" turned on.

Uhm... duur.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
I am an eedjit - from the Customize FAQ:

5. My wallpapers don't work, what's up?
Make sure you have installed SummerBoard before you apply the wallpaper. Then once you do apply the wallpaper, make sure your SummerBoard theme is set to Customize and you have "Wallpaper" and "Theme Wallpaper" turned on.

Uhm... duur.

REverting to original POS comment - nothing works and scary messages about phones needing restoration on the forums.
Pass.
:confused:

chris2.0

Boom! worked! ;)

Secret was to remove 'http://' from the 'MMSC' field, s'pose that was rather retarded of me - thanks a stack though!

Your int'l MMS: can you send from other handsets on your account? I know that that has to be specifically set up by your network for your account.

Cool! I must admit - I also had the http: in my settings at 1st, but seeing that the others did not have it, I took it off & away we go! Now just to load the MMS viewer app to actally view the MMS's I got sent!

It was actually Int'l SMS, but sorted it out with a little Forum surfing - not ideal solution yet - you have to delete the sms sent to you 1st, and then reply! Then it goes thru!

Will have a look if upgrading to 1.14 will fix it / affect anything else!

shivz

hi guys well i dont know what i just did 2 my phone but i was updating sum apps in installer then when i went exited it hanged 4 abt 5min with the rotating wheel so i restarted the phone and now its stuck at the apple screen on start up!! what do i do? If i have 2 restore is there any way i can back up everything? I really dont wanna lose all my apps and contacts etc...pls help

Status
Not open for further replies.