The Johan Booysen / Cato Manor Cops Thread

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
113,498
*mutter*

One thing that I do seem to be seeing across all these little "issues" that are being manufactured by Zuma and his cadres is that they are incredibly flimsy at the best of times.... It doesn't seem like they are smart enough to get this right in the long term and they also aren't really capable of crafting something that will have to be put in front of a court of law and pass muster.
 

schumi

Honorary Master
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
25,085
Cato Manor cops to stand trial next year

Durban - The trial of 27 detectives from the now disbanded Durban Organised Crime Unit based at Cato Manor will stand trial in January next year — nearly four years after they were first arrested.

The men appeared briefly in the Durban High Court on Friday where State Prosecutor Raymond Mathenjwa said that the two sides had agreed to the trial of the men starting on January 30, 2017.

The trial has been set down to run from January 30 to April 3.

Mathenjwa also asked Judge Kate Pillay that all applications by the defence must have been lodged and completed before the end of the year.

The 27 detectives face 116 charges, including 28 of murder, as well as charges of racketeering and defeating the ends of justice.

The group allegedly carried out paid hits in the KwaZulu-Natal taxi wars. The charges cover the period 2008 to 2011. They were arrested in 2012 and two of the accused detectives have since died.

More at:http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/cato-manor-cops-to-stand-trial-next-year-2003952
 

schumi

Honorary Master
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
25,085
KZN’s top cop suspended over Panday links

Durban - KwaZulu-Natal’s top police officer, Lieutenant-General Mmamonnye Ngobeni, on Thursday confirmed she had been suspended saying: “Yes, my dear I have been suspended. I have received the notice today”.

The notice said Ngobeni’s suspension was effective from Friday.

In April, acting national police commissioner, Lieutenant-General Khomotso Phahlane, served Ngobeni with a notice of intention to suspend her over “possibly corrupt” dealings with Durban businessman Thoshan Panday.


More at:http://www.iol.co.za/news/politics/kzns-top-cop-suspended-over-panday-links-2023763
 

FNfal

Executive Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
6,425
Jiba, Mrwebi to be struck off the roll

"Cape Town - Deputy national director of public prosecutions Nomgcobo Jiba and her colleague, special director of public prosecutions Lawrence Mrwebi, will be struck off the roll of advocates, according to a judgment of the High Court in Pretoria on Thursday."

"The two NPA officials have been widely criticised, including by High Court judges and the Supreme Court of Appeal, for their roles in the controversial decisions to withdraw fraud, corruption and murder charges against suspended crime intelligence boss, Richard Mdluli, and the attempted prosecution of suspended KwaZulu-Natal Hawks head, Major-General Johan Booysen on racketeering charges."

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/jiba-mrwebi-to-be-struck-off-the-roll-20160915

What a pleasure , some thing being done at last .
 

FNfal

Executive Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
6,425
I have a very close friend that is part of the Cato Manor cops and was one of the guys involved with all of this, can somebody tell me what the eventual outcome was? I have been out of the country for quite a while and not up to speed. Cheers.

Nothing has changes as far as the detectives are concerned , but carl vd merva will sort the shyt out .
He is their lawyer and one of the best there is .
 

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Joined
Nov 23, 2009
Messages
17,910
I have a very close friend that is part of the Cato Manor cops and was one of the guys involved with all of this, can somebody tell me what the eventual outcome was? I have been out of the country for quite a while and not up to speed. Cheers.
Why would you not just ask your friend what is going on??
 

FNfal

Executive Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
6,425
A sad day indeed , the corrupt have finally got what they wanted and that was to get in incorruptible policeman out of the police force .

:mad: :mad: :mad:

"Johan Booysen
4 hrs ·
Yesterday the 28th February 2017 was my last day with the SAPS (HAWKS). SAPS has agreed to settle with me. The agreement stipulate that I may not make the detail of the settlement public...

I am grateful for the opportunity that I had to serve my fellow countrymen for 42 years. ( well two months short .. )
I have worked with the most amazing and talented police officers. I salute each one of you ! If it weren't for you , my achievements would've been less significant.
Thank you to all who have sent me encouraging messages. Thank you for all the kind words. I will cherish it always.

To the Cato Manor boys : You have dedicated your lives to the police.
Some paid the ultimate price. You have remained resolute and have not wavered.
Mentioning our nefarious persecutors here would be time and space waisted. I shall refrain from doing so. But let them know this ; ' Darkness shall never comprehend the light ' - so the scripture teaches us. Truth ultimately shall prevail.
To the public who supported me during an enduring time ; it is impossible to articulate my gratitude. Thank you !Thank you !!
My friends ; you never forsake me ! Wow , I couldn't wish for more.
My family ; DANKIE ! ( julle verstaan....)
To my church and my priest ( Du Preez ) Thank you for the many prayers. I never doubted that in unity, truth will emerge victorious.

I am excited and eager to commence a new phase in my life.
I will be taking up a position with a leading national company.

Tomorrow morning the sun will rise and in the evening it will set. Life goes on.

Lastly to my SAPS colleagues that remain.
Be your own man /woman. Never succumb to the temptation of corruption.
Strive to do what is right , albeit in the face of adversity.
You chose a career of which is to serve. That is a calling , not a job.
Corruption is corroding away our democracy. It is an evil monster that will , if not curtailed , devour all - including you !

A Luta Continua !

JW Booysen
Maj Gen ( Ret). "
 

schumi

Honorary Master
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
25,085
Nothing wrong with Sunday Times 'death squad' article, researcher claims

Analyst and violence monitor Mary de Haas has questioned the Sunday Times' apology for its "fake" Cato Manor "death squad" article.
In an eight-page open letter to Sunday Times editor Bongani Siqoko, De Haas writes that she had reread the original report, published on December 11, 2011, and could "see nothing obviously false about it, and those implicated had been given the right to respond".
De Haas has been researching violence for more than three decades and worked closely with the three "death squad" reporters, Mzilikazi wa Afrika, Stephan Hofstatter and Rob Rose.
"I would thus like you to explain to me and the public why you apparently accept that it is 'fake news'," De Haas writes."I am setting the record straight, including by providing detailed background information, because there is a very real risk of the true facts of what happened – especially the wider context in which it happened – being swept under the carpet in the unseemly haste in some quarters to make political capital out of the deaths of many people, some of them undoubtedly innocent."

More at: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...eath-squad-article-researcher-claims-20181022
 

schumi

Honorary Master
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
25,085
Former KZN Hawks head Johan Booysen dismisses Mary De Haas' Cato Manor claims

Former KwaZulu-Natal Hawks head Johan Booysen has rejected claims by researcher Mary de Haas that the decision by Sunday Times editor Bongani Siqoko to apologise for a series of stories was wrong.
In a letter to the Sunday Times, which was not published by the newspaper, De Haas took issue with Siqoko's apology for the Cato Manor "death squad" stories.
On October 14, Siqoko also apologised for a series of stories the paper ran alleging the involvement of senior Hawks officials in the illegal rendition of Zimbabwean suspects and the newspaper's coverage of the so-called SARS "rogue unit".
"… we admit here today that something went wrong in the process of gathering the information and reporting the Cato Manor, SARS and Zimbabwean renditions stories. This is after we engaged constructively with all key parties involved in the stories," wrote Siqoko.
But, in her eight-page open letter, De Haas wrote that she could see nothing wrong with the original Cato Manor report, which alleged that Cato Manor police were involved in the extra-judicial killing of suspects. The story reportedly said that Booysen was ultimately responsible for the Cato Manor unit although he was not its direct commander.
De Haas' letter detailed several deaths in KwaZulu-Natal and asked why these were being covered up, questioning whether it was because the suspects were poor and black. She said that she personally introduced two of the Sunday Times reporters involved in the story to contacts in the taxi industry.

More at: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...isses-mary-de-haas-cato-manor-claims-20181022
 

Milano

Honorary Master
Joined
Feb 7, 2004
Messages
16,752
Cato Manor crime busters are back

Durban - Former Cato Manor crime busters are back at work and getting results.
On Friday, former KZN Directorate of Priority Crime Investigations (Hawks) head Johan Booysen said a number of his former officers had returned to the Durban Organised Crime Unit, while others had been sent to units in Johannesburg and Cape Town.

“Since they have been back with the (Durban) Organised Crime Unit, they have made a number of breakthroughs and have been doing sterling work,” he said.

The people who had prevented them from doing their jobs “have blood on their hands”, he said.

His team of 26 detectives was smeared as the “Cato Manor Death Squad” by a mainstream weekend newspaper, resulting in the experienced officers being arrested in 2012 on 116 charges, which included murder.

“They sat at home for the next seven years as the case dragged through the courts and the charges were ultimately discredited. In that time, three detectives died, five retired and two resigned.

This week Booysen congratulated one of his former detectives, Jeremy Marten, who solved a 34-year-old cold case in two weeks in Fish Hoek.
Continued: https://www.iol.co.za/ios/news/cato-manor-crime-busters-are-back-28057771

Booysen should receive the highest national honours for what he was put through.
 

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Joined
Jul 5, 2009
Messages
20,815

The statement read: "The unanimous conclusion of the panel is that 'in respect of the authorisations a proper case was not made out on the papers presented'. The panel has recommended that the authorisations, of both Adv Jiba and Adv Abrahams, are invalid."

I'm sure the PP can investigate...

/sarcasm
 
Top