The Jordan Peterson discussion thread

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
You have no idea what you're talking about.
Oh but I do... that's just the thing. This guy is the newest in a long line of these guys spewing their invented "religions"
I did my homework properly on this one, more than I did on the others (DeMartini and friends)

rietrot

Honorary Master
Oh but I do... that's just the thing. This guy is the newest in a long line of these guys spewing their invented "religions"
I did my homework properly on this one, more than I did on the others (DeMartini and friends)
Jip. Except that isn't what he is doing. He didn't invent a religion and isn't spewing it or trying to convert anyone or get them to join some club. So you are wrong and you don't know what you are talking about.
Let me geuss that homework consisted of reading one BS leftist article.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Jip. Except that isn't what he is doing. He didn't invent a religion and isn't spewing it or trying to convert anyone or get them to join some club. So you are wrong and you don't know what you are talking about.
Let me geuss that homework consisted of reading one BS leftist article.
I don't read articles, however I do like to figure things out for myself.
When I have a bit more time I'll explain where I am coming from.
Have you heard of a saying called, "play the ball, not the man?". Good advice that.

rietrot

Honorary Master
I don't read articles, however I do like to figure things out for myself.
When I have a bit more time I'll explain where I am coming from.
Have you heard of a saying called, "play the ball, not the man?". Good advice that.
Lol take your own advice. You only played the man, I got 80% ball.

Looking forward to that explanation.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
The problem with JBP and other Christian Judaism apologists is that they try to attribute the enlightenment as some sort of achievement of a Judeo-Christian ethic . When the thruth is that the enlightenment was a rejection of it

rietrot

Honorary Master
The problem with JBP and other Christian Judaism apologists is that they try to attribute the enlightenment as some sort of achievement of a Judeo-Christian ethic . When the thruth is that the enlightenment was a rejection of it
Also wrong. The enlightenment didn't turn people atheist, they just learned to read for themselves and kicked some of the superstitious nonsense that isn't biblical.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Also wrong. The enlightenment didn't turn people atheist, they just learned to read for themselves and kicked some of the superstitious nonsense that isn't biblical.
Wrong enlightenment is an embrace of logic and commonsense which bronze aged religion rejects

rietrot

Honorary Master
Wrong enlightenment is an embrace of logic and commonsense which bronze aged religion rejects
You do know that most of what Peterson says is based on those enlightened philosophers. His favourite is probably Nietzsche who said "god is dead" and you call him an Christian apologists. Lol maybe read a bit.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
You do know that most of what Peterson says is based on those enlightened philosophers. His favourite is probably Nietzsche who said "god is dead" and you call him an Christian apologists. Lol maybe read a bit.
You are arguing the wrong the point

Park@82

Honorary Master
His favourite is probably Nietzsche who said "god is dead"
He also stresses that Nietzsche saw that this was a bad thing...

I think Peterson likes Carl Jung and Dostoevsky better :p

I agree with you though that Peterson is not a Christian apologist.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Not me. Your criticism so far has only been playing the man(Peterson) and you haven't addressed any substance(the ball)
Oh but he's fair game.. The fact that you were offended proves to me that you're heavily invested. Pretty much the same setup if you were a member of XYZ church and I played the man (vicar)

rietrot

Honorary Master
Oh but he's fair game.. The fact that you were offended proves to me that you're heavily invested. Pretty much the same setup if you were a member of XYZ church and I played the man (vicar)
No me pointing out that you're talking BS doesn't mean I'm invested or offended. It just means you're talking BS. You don't have a argument, so you are attempting reducule, which is stupid and not "fair game".

Last edited:

Nick333

Honorary Master
According to who, Dan Brown? Christianity is fundamentally aspirational. That seems pretty consistent with enlightenment values.

Nick333

Honorary Master
Christianity isn't a bronze age religion by a long shot. If you're ignorant of your history you can be forgiven for not knowing how paradigm changing Christianity was for Western civilisation. People love to focus on the repressive power of the medieval church and pretend that, that's what turning the other cheek and loving thy neighbour leads to.