The Jordan Peterson discussion thread

Prawnapple

Expert Member
1588445710978.png
I understand JP fanboys are taking a lot of "damage" right now. Is that a correct assumption?

rustypup

What's fallacious about it?
The stated reason for not liking the dbag, per the clip, was some psycho mumbo-jumbo disagreement.

In support of this you post a claim that he had fabricated the statement.

Which is it, Jerry?

Prawnapple

Expert Member
The stated reason for not liking the dbag, per the clip, was some psycho mumbo-jumbo disagreement.

In support of this you post a claim that he had fabricated the statement.

Which is it, Jerry?
I don't for a second think JP isn't capable of bending facts to suit his narrative, like anyone else is, for that matter. I don't hate JP, I just don't think he's as great as some people say he is. I have my reasons as I'm sure other people have theirs.

konfab

Honorary Master
The judge warned the dad that if there are any further breaches of the bans and court orders, lawyers for the teen might come back to court and seek to have him cited for contempt of court and face serious consequences.

The father was also ordered to address their child using the proper pronouns and descriptors in private.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/father-of-trans-b-c-teen-continues-to-give-interview-despite-court-ban/wcm/1cbf75da-3f80-4222-bfd9-bd179c684f3d/amp/

Compelled speech everyone. Not that anyone in particular said this would happen.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Guy lied to a judge and repeatedly violated a court order, including making public his child's name and his doctors names. Derp.

Everybody, but I'm guessing you're referring to someone particular?
Yes, the focus of this thread.

kolaval

Expert Member
@OrbitalDawn where in the world are you?
You post at the strangest hours.

Any case, you kinda proved my suspicion.
Not one person has shared an option about the content, it's all just about the creator. You could not even manage an option about social group theory, except to try and bash Peterson again.

I'm guessing a lot of the flack is based on articles
( like the one you shared) and video clips.
instead of thinking about the subject and coming to our own conclusions, right or wrong.
I'm guilty of this as well.

As for your linked article,
"Use italics liberally...", "It does help if you are male and Caucasian"
Really?

rietrot

Honorary Master
I don't for a second think JP isn't capable of bending facts to suit his narrative, like anyone else is, for that matter. I don't hate JP, I just don't think he's as great as some people say he is. I have my reasons as I'm sure other people have theirs.
It's called jealousy. The need to make value judgments(and put someone else down)without proper criticism.

It's got nothing to do with "greatness".
1. Peterson is either correct in what he says or he isn't.
2. And then he is either a hypocrite if he doesn't follow his own advice, or he isn't.
If 2 is true it doesn't necessarily make 1 false.
Any argument that he is just making money or that he isn't that "great" (whatever that's supposed to mean)is only jealousy.

konfab

Honorary Master
Guy lied to a judge and repeatedly violated a court order, including making public his child's name and his doctors names. Derp.

Yes, the focus of this thread.
The part that I quoted is compelled speech.

If you broke the lockdown and the judge forced to you say:" I love the lockdown, lockdown is love lockdown is life" , it is compelled speech.

I might add that even if you are accused of murder, the state isn't allowed to force you to say anything. But call someone by their biological sex? Oh no that is absolutely forbidden.

Prawnapple

Expert Member
It's called jealousy. The need to make value judgments(and put someone else down)without proper criticism.

It's got nothing to do with "greatness".
1. Peterson is either correct in what he says or he isn't.
2. And then he is either a hypocrite if he doesn't follow his own advice, or he isn't.
If 2 is true it doesn't necessarily make 1 false.
Any argument that he is just making money or that he isn't that "great" (whatever that's supposed to mean)is only jealousy.
Well, point 2 is certainly true and I agree that it doesn't invalidate point 1 here. I just can't understand what one would be jealous of? His ability to make money of doing what he does? It's entirely possible.

I'll leave you with this Riet:
"Greatness projects onto precious facts"

Courtesy of: http://www.wisdomofpeterson.com/

rietrot

Honorary Master
Well, point 2 is certainly true and I agree that it doesn't invalidate point 1 here. I just can't understand what one would be jealous of? His ability to make money of doing what he does? It's entirely possible.

I'll leave you with this Riet:
"Greatness projects onto precious facts"

Courtesy of: http://www.wisdomofpeterson.com/
True greatness is when is person has such a website dedicated to them.

Prawnapple

Expert Member
True greatness is when is person has such a website dedicated to them.
or perhaps it's because people truly dislike him?

Are you being obtuse?
To be honest, I am just poking fun at both Peterson and Peterson fans alike. I haven't read any of his books but I have watched a lot of his vids on Youtube. I also saw him debate against Sam Harris. I still however need to watch him debate Zizek. That should be a true lolfest.

rietrot

Honorary Master
or perhaps it's because people truly dislike him?

That's really good. I've gone through about 10 and can't find a fault with any of the "quotes". If it is actually random this guy speaks perfect words. The sentence construction makes me doubt the randomness.

"Eternal stillness alleviates a jumble of brains"
quote of the day.

Bobbin

Executive Member

Yikes @ dislikes on this video... (apologies if posted before, haven't followed thread)

1588785123916.png

kfc4unme

Anyone got an update on his health? Last I heard he was in hospital in Russia?

airborne

Honorary Master
How the great can fall and into hard core drug addiction of all things.

I would have thought the wrought iron wisdom of Jordan Peterson would have put these life situations in their place but he's only human I suppose. He had to learn that lesson in quite a hard fashion. Cest la vie