The key to South Africa's future success in Sport

lilDeath

Executive Member
I must admit he did bowl well this season.
BTW, I noticed there are quite a couple of new faces in Int cricket which does not appear to be indigenous to the specific country.
Patel in NZ cricket, Mahmood and Panesar in Eng teams.
Just an interesting observation I made.

Angelo

Expert Member
lilDeath said:
I must admit he did bowl well this season.
BTW, I noticed there are quite a couple of new faces in Int cricket which does not appear to be indigenous to the specific country.
Patel in NZ cricket, Mahmood and Panesar in Eng teams.
Just an interesting observation I made.
True, the fact that there is resistance towards the inclusion of indigenous players in SA is holding back the teams' progress.

DigitalSoldier

Honorary Master
south africa did dominate the Australians in 2004 and also New Zealand but thats just rugby our cricket also not that bad but our soccer dont have any quotas for white players ??? Also I read an article a while ago that soccer players dont even go to practise and then just show up when their is a match to be played demanding to play

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Angelo said:
True, the fact that there is resistance towards the inclusion of indigenous players in SA is holding back the teams' progress.
Proof it.

Angelo

Expert Member
VJB 449 said:
Proof it.
Just look how many indigenous players are in the senior Rugby and Cricket teams and the whining that ensues at their inclusion.

DigitalSoldier

Honorary Master
Angelo thats not fair if you say that I can say look how many indigenous players are in the soccer team and they are all "rocking" the soccer world :D

Angelo

Expert Member
DigitalSoldier said:
Angelo thats not fair if you say that I can say look how many indigenous players are in the soccer team and they are all "rocking" the soccer world :D
It will be outrageous to compare our soccer team to the cricket and rugby teams given the history of the country.

Angelo

Expert Member
DigitalSoldier said:
Please explain angelo
Look when it comes to the soccer team, there's never been a color issue, whites have been representing South Africa since readmission into the national team, and representation in the team has never been so contradictory of the demographics as it is with Cricket and Rugby.Its a non-starter.

graviti

OK, I'm jumping in here.

Our nations soccer sucks. We all know that. Our rugby and cricket have been a thing of legend, however. We consider our performance terrible if we do not end up in the top 3. And not being number 1 is bad enough. However, when racial quotas was introduced, people roared at the idea, because you were going to be upsetting a winning formula, and yes, there was racist tension about it. It's been proven that great players of colour are coming through, so now it comes to the point of getting into a team based on performance, and how well you get on with the team. You cannot expect a man to perform well in a team were his team doesn't accept him. A problem I see here in SA is that black people use AA as an excuse for not being able to go forward, because the white guy bitches to much. Catch a wake up. If you just took the opportunity, I can guarantee, you'd get places. People like the Ndungane brothers are unlucky to not be in the Springbok squad, but that I believe is purely down to inexperience. Next year, maybe after the World Cup. They saw the opportunity to play rugby, and they've got through on merit alone. Imagine how it feels for them to get there.

Sport in this country should have nothing to do with race. It's about ability, and teamwork. Unfortunately, many people only see ability as the key factor, and exclude teamwork.

Just my 2c

DigitalSoldier

Honorary Master
Angelo theres never been a colour issue because the whole team except the goaly i think is black so no need for quotas as the team already got what it wanted a 100% black team. Still ur anwser doesnt explain why the soccer team sux so much even though in ur previous post u said with "indigenous " players the team are playing better not putting words in ur mouth but thats my understanding of what u meant

.geek

Expert Member
Angelo said:
ROFL.

.geek

Expert Member
graviti said:
OK, I'm jumping in here.

Our nations soccer sucks. We all know that.
Yeah, they need more players of "colour". No guessing what colour..

Xarog

Honorary Master
Firstly, a note regarding the article. It says Mtini was convicted of rape, which is untrue. Had he been convicted, he would have gone to jail.

Angelo said:
There is more where he came from and I think fully utilising that talent is our only chance of ever dominating sides like Australia.
Conversely, the fact that Mtini is black is irrelevant.

Angelo said:
No, there is only resistence in including 'indigenous' players in the team BECAUSE they are indigenous. That's got nothing to do with tapping the talent of the country. It's reverse-apartheid, nothing more.

Mtini is a good example - he was put in the team before he was ready. Look at his early performance, there were better players at the time, and they should have gotten the spot.

That's the point you and every other "affirmative action" supporter seems to miss : you're saying that racial discrimination is OK now, because it happened in the past - you're just changing who's getting shafted, and that's just plain wrong.

Angelo said:
Look when it comes to the soccer team, there's never been a color issue, whites have been representing South Africa since readmission into the national team, and representation in the team has never been so contradictory of the demographics as it is with Cricket and Rugby.Its a non-starter.
So then you agree that the colour issue is irrelevant to what makes a team good?

graviti said:
However, when racial quotas was introduced, people roared at the idea, because you were going to be upsetting a winning formula, and yes, there was racist tension about it.
I didn't hear of any criticism about black players being in the cricket or rugby teams. I heard people complaining because players were getting in because of the colour of their skin.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
LOL Angelo please look at some facts here:

Bryan Habana, who is an excellent player, went to a rugby-playing school (think King Edwards) and so that's why he is good. Not sure if Ntini went to a cricket-playing school but well done on his achievements nonetheless.

However we could point out the failiures of AA that Mr Angelo seems oblivious to.

Breyton Paulse: Too small, can't tackle, not that fast

Lawrence Sephaka: To be honest I don't know what separates a good prop from a bad one but the coach doesn't pick him anymore

Ashwen Willemse: Reformed gangster, not too good at centre though

BTTB

AA in Sport.

I have always wondered about AA in sport as the Nations pride and joy, Bafana Bafana is made up of all black players, but nobody says a thing about that?

Yet when it comes to Rugby AA is strictly imposed?

Double Standards IMO.

stepper

Expert Member
BTTB said:
I have always wondered about AA in sport as the Nations pride and joy, Bafana Bafana is made up of all black players, but nobody says a thing about that?

Yet when it comes to Rugby AA is strictly imposed?

Double Standards IMO.
Shooo, we do I start...
How many whites play soccer (professionally) in South AFrica at the moment?
Can u name them?
I would not comment about the so called overseas based (white) players who somehow remember their SA passports when South Africa is playing in a major tounament but misplace it when they have to help out during qualifying matches for these tournaments.

We saw what happened when a certain English gentleman by the name of Baxter tried to bring 'South African' players that are good or experienced because the warm the benches of their european clubs while leaving players who are based locally because he could communicate with them or they are inexperienced, we didn't qualify for the world cup and kept on coaching rubbish because SAFA wouldn't give him a golden handshake if he resigned.

Rugby, er, I dont think it is seriously imposed for if it was some teams wouldn't convert any black player they have into a winger. Thats my opinion.