The 'Massive' Gauteng Weather and Storm Warning Thread!

APoc184

Honorary Master
Garsfontein and Lynnwood Glen getting a proper downpour. Can see some localised flooding happening if this continues for much longer.

Somewhere just got smacked in PTA East. Power flicked hard enough to trip my amplifier, thunder only came 10-15sec later so was a long way away.

Flanders

Honorary Master
Somewhere just got smacked in PTA East. Power flicked hard enough to trip my amplifier, thunder only came 10-15sec later so was a long way away.

Reminds me of adsl days. The sky is dark with a storm brewing. Anxiety levels rise as you know you'll need to unplug the phone line at any minute. No rumbles yet though so you're safe for now.

Then out of nowhere you hear the SNAP of a whip...followed 10 seconds later by a distant crash of thunder.

And so your third router for the year meets its fate.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Reminds me of adsl days. The sky is dark with a storm brewing. Anxiety levels rise as you know you'll need to unplug the phone line at any minute. No rumbles yet though so you're safe for now.

Then out of nowhere you hear the SNAP of a whip...followed 10 seconds later by a distant crash of thunder.

Normal dialup days as well. Lightning hit so bad the black box modem from Mweb actually caught fire.
Lost a motherboard that day and a gameboy.

ijacobs3

Expert Member
Driving home was not cool today

7f4f4f77cdbfdf2db62bbe7bea8b102d.jpg

7e9b3cc3af4935538d59b729959de24b.jpg

82b2c1208bc0ca781e4628df9a5af1d4.jpg

8abd06e589d53a34ae04a5f93b334fba.jpg

I've had the opposite, lightning strike and i saw the spark in the router as everything tripped out. Could see a burn mark on the casing, bloody thing kept working like nothing happened.

Also back in the dial up days with an internal modem (what a stupid idea in southern Africa), bolt hit our actual telephone pole, thru the modem, through the pc and grounded through the borehole because the control panel was right next to the PC. Lucky it was in the afternoon and someone was there or our house would've burned down.

Flanders

Honorary Master
I've had the opposite, lightning strike and i saw the spark in the router as everything tripped out. Could see a burn mark on the casing, bloody thing kept working like nothing happened.

Also back in the dial up days with an internal modem (what a stupid idea in southern Africa), bolt hit our actual telephone pole, thru the modem, through the pc and grounded through the borehole because the control panel was right next to the PC. Lucky it was in the afternoon and someone was there or our house would've burned down.

That's very rare. My experience with copper was horrendous.

Worst I've had though was having a router nuked and all LAN cards on the network fried.

Edit: Plus about 30 routers over the years. :ROFL:

Last edited:

Stuey74

Decided I needed to get out of the house, taken a ride, quick stop at Harties Dam, haven't seen water flowing like this for a long time here. Also a nice electrical storm in the distance.

Attachments

• 16143514131211017350235831571855.jpg
    16143514131211017350235831571855.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 58

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

It is called "separation of services"

Never place services with different "earth" connections close together anywhere. Sure it is inconvenient but it saves plenty of electronics when things go wrong. 1 m separation is about the minimum.

Genisys

Honorary Master
Wunderground seems to think next week will be dry, possibly the last rain for the season?

voldoverse

Expert Member
I remember last year shortly after lockdown started there was one day that it was rainy and extremely cold, best day ever, lockdown still fresh so the novelty of sitting at home, gorging my face, playing games, enjoying the comfort of the heater etc etc was awesome

Heres hoping we get another like that as a last hurrah for march