The 'Massive' Gauteng Weather and Storm Warning Thread!

Lupus

Honorary Master
So our dojo sent a picture of their dogs outside water bowl, it was frozen solid... This was in Roodepoort, frozen solid.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Garsfontein, PTA

Lowest was 1.7, although I think my outside temperature gauge is slightly higher than it should be.
View attachment 1112730

The standard height for outdoor air temperature measurement is 1.2-1.8m above ground level (this is mainly to avoid daytime heating effects). This means that on clear nights the actual surface temperature can be 2-3C lower than the 'official' air temperature. It is possible to have thick frost while the air temperature is still around 0C.

Lupus

Honorary Master
F**k., it is cold in the West Rand!
Yup my son held up ice that was as thick as glass panes, perfectly round as well, this was from the dogs water bowls outside. Frozen with leaves and everything from last nights wind.

ebendl

Expert Member
The standard height for outdoor air temperature measurement is 1.2-1.8m above ground level (this is mainly to avoid daytime heating effects). This means that on clear nights the actual surface temperature can be 2-3C lower than the 'official' air temperature. It is possible to have thick frost while the air temperature is still around 0C.
Mine is actually about that high, but also above paving which definitely affects it too.

It's weird, we live close to a spruit and it literally feels colder here than up the street. But "feels" is hardly scientific.

I didn't see any frozen dog water bowls or frost or anything of the sort, so I guess it really is a little bit warmer here than in other spots.

Does anybody know what the official minimums today measured for PTA / Centurion / Joburg is?

surface

Honorary Master
First time in life I felt this much cold in SA, well, at least in Midrand. Heater near my feet and wearing multiple layers of clothing. If I move my feet by a mere centimeter, I will bump against heater. :ROFL:

Enzo Matrix

Honorary Master
Mine is actually about that high, but also above paving which definitely affects it too.

It's weird, we live close to a spruit and it literally feels colder here than up the street. But "feels" is hardly scientific.

I didn't see any frozen dog water bowls or frost or anything of the sort, so I guess it really is a little bit warmer here than in other spots.

Does anybody know what the official minimums today measured for PTA / Centurion / Joburg is?
Well its always colder by water as its the lowest area and colder air ends up in the lowest spot

ebendl

Expert Member
First time in life I felt this much cold in SA, well, at least in Midrand. Heater near my feet and wearing multiple layers of clothing. If I move my feet by a mere centimeter, I will bump against heater. :ROFL:
Yeah...

Wearing 2 layers on the bottom 1/2 and 4 layers on the top 1/2, with cut-off gloves while working today. Little bar-heater at my feet (and they still feel cold).

My kids are running around barefeet in barely any clothes (of course :rolleyes: )

surface

Honorary Master
Yeah...

Wearing 2 layers on the bottom 1/2 and 4 layers on the top 1/2, with cut-off gloves while working today. Little bar-heater at my feet (and they still feel cold).

My kids are running around barefeet in barely any clothes (of course :rolleyes: )
:ROFL: :ROFL: Ditto. I have no idea why kids don't feel cold at all.

animal531

Expert Member
Yeah...

Ah yeah, I remember when I was a kid, I refused to wear shoes anywhere. Having a ridiculously fast metabolism and running around like crazy helps a lot with the cold.