The 'Massive' Gauteng Weather and Storm Warning Thread!

sand_man

Honorary Master
I sold the weather gods a dummy. Was on the way to the car wash this morning but forgot my wallet. Seems to have done the trick though. Things getting gnarly here in Norwood.

B-1

Expert Member
I watered our back garden lawn today and the sky sounds angry, hope we get some rain now.

Same here, was holding out for yesterdays rain that never came so maybe we did the trick.

SlowInternet

Executive Member
The rain bird is the Burchell's Coucal

Today I learnt something new. I always believed that the "Piet-my-vrou" was the rain bird. I asked my one son (who used to do some guiding at game lodges) which bird is the rain bird and he immediately said the Burchell's Coucal.
I do not know to which bird you refer to when talking about the rainbird, but my wife and I absolutely believe in the call of the "Piet-my-vrou" (red-chested cuckoo). Never disappointed. When the Piet-my-vrou calls, rain is imminent, if not that same day, it will be tomorrow.
I also grew up with the believe in the call of the "Piet-my-vrou" (Red-chested cuckoo)

Segg

Expert Member
The rainbird is back! Started singing this morning. Back on their nest. The most reliable sign of all. The rainy season is now here.

Looks like your bird was accurate for today! :laugh:

A small squall line developed earlier this afternoon in the south, and made its way north bringing some nice moderate rain with it :cool:

Unfortunately, I don't think it'll make it's way too much further north, as it is already dissipating.

IR.JPG

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Nice downpour in Parkhurst earlier. Did not last long but was nice.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Looks like your bird was accurate for today! :laugh:

A small squall line developed earlier this afternoon in the south, and made its way north bringing some nice moderate rain with it :cool:

Unfortunately, I don't think it'll make it's way too much further north, as it is already dissipating.

View attachment 1170660
Yup, unless it swings around, it is not going to get to us.

VooDooC

Expert Member
About 7mm here in Bromhof side. Hope the predictions for next week are accurate this time.