The 'Massive' Gauteng Weather and Storm Warning Thread!

RonSwanson

Executive Member
19mm for yesterday in total. Now for the weekend, as per the forecast it's going to be wet and stormy.

maxxis

Expert Member
We are getting hammered on Sunday from the looks of it.
Will have to get on my roof and do a temporary fix until the guy can come out and seal it up properly.

RaptorSA

Executive Member
Thought I'd just share here ... really cool.

I've been getting into HAM radio recently (still need to do my SA license so I can use repeaters) but I keep coming across new stuff you can do.

Apparently, you can download NOAA satellite images directly from the satellites using radio.
Would love to try this at some point.

EDIT:
Also you can see real-time info using something called APRS (Automated Packet Reporting System)
It uses radio to transmit X25 packet info (think old school modem but using radio instead of copper) that gets routed over the internet via Digi-enabled radio repeaters.

Gives you real-time information on certain nodes about weather conditions and GPS locations...
I sometimes like watching the movements and altitude of hot air balloons in the PTA region just for the heck of it

You can even listen in on the astronauts on the ISS with a cheap handheld VHF/UHF radio if you get the timing right.

Last edited:

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
JHB south, power out again, lots of rain and lightning. 2nd Friday in a row.

Last edited:

Segg

Expert Member
Some nice isolated cells rolling around and clapping their hands around me this evening :D not producing the most amount of rain though.....

Interesting to note from the TAF's, it looks like a certainty that there will be severe storms tomorrow afternoon from around 18:00

Capture.JPG

sat.gif

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
JHB south, power out again, lots or rain and lightning. 2nd Friday in a row.
Looks like the lightning took out most of the south. Standing on my balcony now and looking at Oakdene, Glenvista, Bassonia and Glenanda all without power.

Different substations so it's safe to assume a lot more areas. Hope this doesn't turn into a days-long thing...

B-1

Expert Member
I'm right in that channel. Still clear skies but guessing that will change quite quickly.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Looks like the lightning took out most of the south. Standing on my balcony now and looking at Oakdene, Glenvista, Bassonia and Glenanda all without power.

Different substations so it's safe to assume a lot more areas. Hope this doesn't turn into a days-long thing...
Are you back on yet?

geezer

Expert Member
I threw out the water from the rain meter earlier this morning at about 06:00, only 5mm since yesterday morning. Then the skies opened up this morning, and since then we have had 9mm already. And LOTS predicted for this afternoon and evening.