The 'Massive' Gauteng Weather and Storm Warning Thread!

wbot

Executive Member
We got rid of a towering cycad for just this reason.
It was also about 3 metres from the house and twice the height.
Arborist warned us that if lightning hit it and it caught fire, the house would be in danger.
We have 4 tall palm trees and a 5th smaller one but I don't wanna get rid of any of them. Lightning also struck one of the other palm trees a few years ago.

Both trees are fine though I think but it's too early to say with this one. It could die tomorrow, I don't know. Looks like yesterday's tree was struck on the side or something because the leaves themselves are totally fine and undamaged. It's only where the branches were where it looks a bit rough. This tree is right next to another palm tree but that one is fine/untouched. The branches that fell off were black on the edges.

Guess I'm lucky the current didn't travel far, into the house or through wiring etc because that would have sucked for me :D

Lupus

Honorary Master
We have 4 tall palm trees and a 5th smaller one but I don't wanna get rid of any of them. Lightning also struck one of the other palm trees a few years ago.

Both trees are fine though I think but it's too early to say with this one. It could die tomorrow, I don't know. Looks like yesterday's tree was struck on the side or something because the leaves themselves are totally fine and undamaged. It's only where the branches were where it looks a bit rough. This tree is right next to another palm tree but that one is fine/untouched. The branches that fell off were black on the edges.

Guess I'm lucky the current didn't travel far, into the house or through wiring etc because that would have sucked for me :D
Lightning took out one of mine, killing it :-( so I just got rid of all of them, especially since termites had moved into one of them from the muncipal trees outside. They actually ate out a large part of the middle

The_MAC

Executive Member
We got rid of a towering cycad for just this reason.
It was also about 3 metres from the house and twice the height.
Arborist warned us that if lightning hit it and it caught fire, the house would be in danger.
I have a tall palm roughly 3-4m from the house that was struck 2 years ago, it is dead. Wanted to remove it only to find ducks nesting on top of it, now I am waiting to see when they move out, then we taking it down.

The ducks were quiet for a little while, but just this weekend saw them landing on top of it again.

Last edited:

sand_man

Honorary Master
Been chucking it down in Norwood for over an hour now!! Where's everyone?? Can't only be my street that is flooding?

sand_man

Honorary Master
I'm more of a Tonino's guy, but yeah, I do the Radium from time to time. Although, I've been very reclusive of late.
My brother in law swears by Tonino's, not for dop, but chow!! Eats there at least once a week....

3WA

Honorary Master
My brother in law swears by Tonino's, not for dop, but chow!! Eats there at least once a week....

I rate their pizzas the best in Joburg! Nothing fancy, no wood oven, just good toppings and proper crispy bases. Of course, it helps that I'm usually four draughts down when the pizza arrives.

It's a top place.

sand_man

Honorary Master
We should hook up for a chow? I'm also a recluse!! It could be a stunningly awkward evening?!

Back on topic and the boys are way out of their depth here!! Being embarrassed now!

Last edited:

sand_man

Honorary Master
England half way to the winning target by the 10th over mark! F uck me, boys against men here!