The 'Massive' Gauteng Weather and Storm Warning Thread!

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Been softly raining through the whole night here by us in Garsfontein.

Swimming pool is completely full to the rim. And green!

Another 20mm.

So that is 80mm for us since Friday afternoon.
Ditto, a beautiful blue pool now green! Same here 20 mm this morning making for 88 mm over 48 hours.
Pool will need emptying. Going to do an extended filter backwash when I can get to the pump. The garden is a swamp, fully expecting to see a croc soon.

deesef

Expert Member
Ditto, a beautiful blue pool now green! Same here 20 mm this morning making for 88 mm over 48 hours.
Pool will need emptying. Going to do an extended filter backwash when I can get to the pump. The garden is a swamp, fully expecting to see a croc soon.
Don't empty it. Here is a cheaper recipe:
1. Get the PH balance right. (Add acid or Alcalinity Up, depending on measurements)
2. Shock the pool. Easiest is add 6 to 8 cups of HTH.
3. Run the pump on Filter for 48 hours. Backwash when the filter is clogged.

If the pool is clear, great.
If not, add a bottle of Hyperfloc, run the pump on Bypass for 6 hours, then switch off for 12 hours. All the gunk should then have settled to the bottom. Set the filter to Waste and gently vacuum the settled gunk out. Keep a hose running into the pool's weir during the vacuum, as the water level will drop.

Done

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
1. Get the PH balance right. (Add acid or Alcalinity Up, depending on measurements)

If not, add a bottle of Hyperfloc, run the pump on Bypass for 6 hours, then switch off for 12 hours. All the gunk should then have settled to the bottom. Set the filter to Waste and gently vacuum the settled gunk out. Keep a hose running into the pool's weir during the vacuum, as the water level will drop.

Done

aqua pro algecide and a ph balance, done.

I compeltely agree not to empty it

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

Done
Agree, dont want to waste the water. But have to drop the level below the paving as it is just too full. Hence the backwash.
Backwash tank full.

RonSwanson

Expert Member
Been softly raining through the whole night here by us in Garsfontein.

Swimming pool is completely full to the rim. And green!

Another 20mm.

So that is 80mm for us since Friday afternoon.
You've got to check the water's chemistry after the rain, but my money is on the acidity being too high.

Lupus

Honorary Master
You've got to check the water's chemistry after the rain, but my money is on the acidity being too high.
My chemistry was way off, then it turned out the stabilizer was too high due to stabilized chlorine, which I should have checked before I dumped a ton into the pool to shock it.

Varktjop

Expert Member
Got 8mm over the weekend. Looks like we're going to get proper rain today, but the wind will probably blow everything away

Sinbad

Honorary Master
BREAKING: The SA Weather Service has issued a warning for a HIGH LIKELIHOOD for SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS!!!

WHEN: Tuesday, 24 November 2020

AREA: Entire Gauteng

POTENTIAL THREATS:
•Hail
•Damaging winds
•Heavy downpours
•Localised flooding

RAIN PROBABILITY: 50%

Lupus

Honorary Master
BREAKING: The SA Weather Service has issued a warning for a HIGH LIKELIHOOD for SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS!!!

WHEN: Tuesday, 24 November 2020

AREA: Entire Gauteng

POTENTIAL THREATS:
•Hail
•Damaging winds
•Heavy downpours
•Localised flooding

RAIN PROBABILITY: 50%
So like maybe...