The 'Massive' Gauteng Weather and Storm Warning Thread!

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Things escalated now the ceiling collapsed

Sorry to hear that. We had a leak in a bedroom around 2am when it was raining very heavily.

I had emptied the rain gauge yesterday, this morning it was filled to overflowing,

We have such a heavy rain normally around last week of December, guess it came a bit late.

Grubscrew

Expert Member
Rain meter is full so I guess also 100mm plus for Doringkloof. Pool is full. Every is wet and a small leak has been found close to a valley.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Sorry to hear that. We had a leak in a bedroom around 2am when it was raining very heavily.

I had emptied the rain gauge yesterday, this morning it was filled to overflowing,

We have such a heavy rain normally around last week of December, guess it came a bit late.
We've got a leak above my chimney in the lounge :-( luckily it's a small one so hasn't done any damage.

Neuk_

Expert Member
It is still coming down in Parkhurst, we had 2mm - 3mm yesterday afternoon which was nice but overnight I think we must have had over 50mm already.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Can I ask why the obsessive watching of the damn dam levels? I mean don't they always drop over winter and pick up again during the rainy season? It's a bit like ****ing global warming.
It's hot cause the sun's hot. It's always been hot. Sometimes it's a bit cooler here and then it warms up again. It's seasons, innit?

R13...

Honorary Master
Can I ask why the obsessive watching of the damn dam levels? I mean don't they always drop over winter and pick up again during the rainy season? It's a bit like ****ing global warming.
It's hot cause the sun's hot. It's always been hot. Sometimes it's a bit cooler here and then it warms up again. It's seasons, innit?
I think the authorities knew dam levels would recover with the rainy season which is why there were no restrictions. They'd only panic if promised rains didn't materialise. It is also worth noting that the previous season didn't deliver full dams for the likes of the Vaal, Lesotho (long term dryness there), parts of KZN, EC and Limpopo.

Segg

Expert Member

The question is how quickly are the levels rising, and when do they start rising and lulling

I recall some serious flooding this time of year around the vaal a few years ago... Haven't seen anything like that in a long time

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Because we find it interesting?

Lupus

Honorary Master
I think the authorities knew dam levels would recover with the rainy season which is why there were no restrictions. They'd only panic if promised rains didn't materialise. It is also worth noting that the previous season didn't deliver full dams for the likes of the Vaal, Lesotho (long term dryness there), parts of KZN, EC and Limpopo.
We had level 1 restrictions last year? So what do you mean no restrictions?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Cause if it's low, we have an issue like Cape Town and then we all suffer with no lights or water and a virus knocking on the door.