The massive popularity of lower-speed uncapped fibre in South Africa

Sapphiron

Centadel
Company Rep
The core issue is that of Openserve's high costs. Vumatel and the other providers to some degree as well.

I am happily paying R899 on Cybersmart's own network for their 400mbit service, but they are unable to offer the same on the Openserve network.

People would go for faster connections, if it did not have such a high premium from Openserve's side.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
“If you worked out our average download speed last year, it would have been close to 400Mbps, because that was the only package we offered,” said Fialkov.

“If you work out our average speed now, it has been pulled down significantly by the 20Mbps product.”
This is important and should not be forgotten when comparing ISPs. The best ISP would provide the highest (actual speed)/(line speed) ratio.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Even 4Mb fibre lines are considerably better than ADSL and HSPA+. The low latency alone improves your internet experience significantly.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Sorry, but the 20gb/month that Cybersmart offers is peanuts in 2018. You can't even stream in hd before your cap runs out.

The uncapped offering for R200 more offers better value.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Can't find it for R599 can only find it for R628??

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Even 4Mb fibre lines are considerably better than ADSL and HSPA+. The low latency alone improves your internet experience significantly.
I am on a uncapped unshaped 4mbps fibre line @ R200.00 PM and it works just fine. Suitable to have two different devices stream Netflix or Showmax at the same time.

Suspect99

Executive Member
I am on a uncapped unshaped 4mbps fibre line @ R200.00 PM and it works just fine. Suitable to have two different devices stream Netflix or Showmax at the same time.
Depends on your distance to the exchange and condition of your copper. My ADSL line was horrendous. It couldnt sync at anything higher than 1.2mbs and frequently disconnected. Fibre has been flawless

Lizzardd

The biggest problem is the ridiculously inflated connection fees that are being charged. Making the overall switch not worth the price to most people. I have 2 colleagues who would love to switch but would only save R100-R150 a month, so having to pay R2000 offsets that saving completely.
Any usually the "reasoning" is because you get a free router (which most people don't need) and a Voip phone (also likely not needed)

ponder

Honorary Master
From who?

Wasabee!

Expert Member
Wait you've got to pay R2000 to switch??
No most ISPs waiver the install cost as promotions or when you sign a 24 month contract. There is a cost involved, so they not screwing you around. It's just that they need to recover it somehow.

justplain

Expert Member
Any word or rumblings of reduced prices for fibre packages?
ADSL had a some good price reductions or speed upgrades at the same price over the last few years.
eg 2-4meg or 4-10meg if your exchange supported it etc
Thoughts on when or if we're likely to benefit from these kinds of service offerings on fibre?