The Mercedes-Benz X-Class Thread (MB Bakkie - RIP)

FiestaST

Honorary Master
'My bakkie has arrived!' The internet reacts to the new Mercedes-Benz X-Class in SA

Mercedes-Benz revealed its highly-anticipated X-Class bakkie in Cape Town on Tuesday.

The official global launch will take place in October 2017 while SA fans will have to wait until 2018 for the new X-Class to arrive locally.

And the price?

According to the automaker: "The Mercedes-Benz pick-up is attractively priced in the segment and is available in Germany from €37 294. Further market-specific prices will be made known successively."

Engine range

Mercedes has revealed the engine range for all markets. There are three 4-cylinder engines and a single 6-cylinder unit as follows:

X 200 - 122kW/238Nm
X 220 d - 120kW/403Nm
X 250 d - 140kW/450Nm
X 350 d - 190kW/550Nm

Here's what South Africans think of the new bakkie...

Those who love the new X-Class:

Packed in my backyard come October 2017

— otto tawanda chisiri (@tchisiri) July 18, 2017
I can imagine the price of this van yhoo

— bhut'Hlathi (@Sonwabile_Q) July 18, 2017
I love my Wildtrak... But this!!!

His-cerdes Benz ?????? https://t.co/sT3bydwF3j

— Zweli Ndhlovu (@JustZweli) July 18, 2017
Which would you choose?

Patrick Nicholls: The Toyota and now Ford Range offer a price range to capture both business and the middle to upper middle class South African. The New X-Class will do well in the Flashy and upper income class of buyer but I guess that is who you are targeting. So you will capture that section of the glitz market.

Jurie Nkadimeng: I think the Bakkie will take the local market by storm taking into considerations the quality products the Germans have been producing. I personally have a good belief in the product.

Raymond Becker: Will it compete in SA in the " Bakkie " range? Absolutely. If the launch price is comparable I'll be the first to buy one. Good news. I love my old Merc. At 300 000km she is going to be hard to park off. Will never sell her. 2007 C320 CDI. The best motor vehicle ever built. But I'll park her off for the x class.

Mike Sharples: Not another automaker climbing on the bakkie band wagon! However, I don’t think Toyota or Ford will be quivering in their boots - they’re selling more than 6000 bakkies between them every month in SA.

Off course, you won’t be seeing any X Class on construction sites either – who would want to pay a million (or whatever) when you can get a perfectly serviceable working double cab bakkie for less than half of that.

You’ll probably see one or two X Class with “designer dirt” running around Sandton – I mean, you can even open it with your cell phone – Hubba Hubba! Probably a great vehicle, but definitely aimed at the wealthy leisure market.

Nkosinathi Fudu: I am 100% sure your bakkie can withstand the conditions of South Africa. The products you mentioned are pretty good but because you have been in the game for some time even before the introduction of these products you will definitely out class them. Your engines are strong and long lasting. I see on the road a Mercedes Benz which I started to see in 1974 , the reason its on my mind is because it belonged to my University Rector you can imagine the impact it has on me.

Cwenga Mdala: The bakkie stands a chance of giving a Ford Ranger and VW Amarok a run for their money in terms of performance and comfortability. When it comes to reliability, durability, off road capability, fuel-efficiency and toughness, it surely won't match the two adorable legends of all time i.e Toyota and Isuzu. I don't think it will survive for our local harsh dirty roads besides affordability is gonna be a problem due to inflated prices on both entry level and top of the range models. Only time will tell how will it do on local market.

Lucious Bodibe: Toyota Hilux and Ford Ranger are the most popular bakkies at the present moment. Given the current economic situation, it will take some time for the new X-Class sales to take off. It will however give the Hilux and Ranger a run for their money once the economy recovers.

Karel Van Niekerk: It looks stunning. It is all about price in SA but yes you can beat the current leaders in the market like Ford And Toyota.

Sharen Beryl Carr Naude: Very handsome! The look is powerful. I can see myself towing with it.

Joseline Do Amaral: Hope the price is in-line with the other makes and models, the I will trade in my Ford Ranger.

Bulelwa Nzo: Beauty at its best, I love it!

Alex McDonald: Ugly as usual but time will make us get used to it and like it.

Rudi Lombard: Gone are the days of boring Japanese bakkies. The Germans brought us Amarok and now this Benz!

John Fuller: Yeah! My bakkie has arrived - just need to work out how to pay for it!?
...And those who don't

TJ Motors: It's a glorified Nissan bakkie with a Merc drivetrain, and a big price tag, Ford and toyota are a better bet( Nissan is glorified Renault).

Alberto Rongo: Not a chance, it's going to be a city bakkie, not a work horse.

Alan Mayor King: Everything looks great until you get to the end of the cab. Rear end from all angles in these pics looks unfinished and like it doesn't match the rest. MB can't enter a market like this, at a premium price which it will be, and expect to challenge the established brands unless it ticks all the boxes. The most important factor now at launch is looks, and it isn't there as far as I'm concerned. Maybe and hopefully it can prove itself on and off the road.

Marcel Erasmus: Just another overpriced ute. Why even? Waste of money.

Christo Retief: No comparison. This merc is not good looking at all.

Nkosingiphile Laduma Motha-Ngcobo: What a let down, from concept to this? Ladder frame Navara, suspension Navara, some model have Navara transmission. It also looks too close to the Navara. The front is not bad, but there is a big disconnect between the front and back. This is a rushed product, and it shows. Also steering wheel only height adjustable??!!

Frans Grundling: Ugly?? looks like a Foton at the back

http://www.wheels24.co.za/OffRoad_a...-the-new-mercedes-benz-x-class-in-sa-20170719

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Here’s what Mercedes X-Class looks like in base spec

As you would have read in our initial story on the reveal of the Mercedes-Benz X-Class, the new double-cab bakkie will be offered in three design and equipment variants. So, what does the base model look like?

Well, have a look at the images above to find out. According to the Stuttgart-based automaker, the so-called “Pure” specification (which sits at the very bottom of the range, under the Progressive and Power models) is “ideal for rugged, functional use”.

“It fulfils all the demands placed on a workhorse. At the same time, its comfort and design make it perfect for visiting customers or suppliers and for private activities,” the brand says in its press material.

The Pure model you see in the accompanying images is painted in Kabara Black metallic and features 17-inch steel wheels rather than alloys, wrapped in Goodyear 255/65 R17 rubber. You’ll also notice that the front apron is unpainted, while the rear bumper is finished in black (although this isn’t quite as noticeable on a black-painted vehicle as it otherwise might be).

Inside, X-Class Pure variants come with black Tunja fabric as standard, while black man-made leather will be available as an option. The steering wheel, shift lever knob (a six-manual, in this case) and handbrake lever also seemingly do without leather.

http://www.carmag.co.za/news_post/heres-what-mercedes-x-class-looks-like-in-base-spec/

8aa6705af77dbc3c2c9f743908d85567.jpg

c96a2b1bc788ca80841bc66bf9f61afa.jpg

9cb5c552195178c33982839dee3fe88d.jpg

b88627815ad8fbc10de89914f59a584b.jpg

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Nkosingiphile Laduma Motha-Ngcobo: What a let down, from concept to this? Ladder frame Navara, suspension Navara, some model have Navara transmission. It also looks too close to the Navara. The front is not bad, but there is a big disconnect between the front and back. This is a rushed product, and it shows. Also steering wheel only height adjustable??!!

I am with this guy, certainly not a bad bakkie, but from the hype that was created this is a let down.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
[video=youtube_share;qONPu1-JDxE]https://youtu.be/qONPu1-JDxE[/video]

qscwbt

Expert Member
What a ugly POS

Don't like it, the back looks terrible (concept looked way better)
Why use a Nissan and charge merc prices. Not cool Nissan sorry I mean Merc.

concept was way better

articleLeadwide-mercedes-benz-x-class-dual-cab-utegs9bqn.jpg

untitled 2.png

untitled.png

FiestaST

Honorary Master

FiestaST

Honorary Master
[video=youtube_share;_00I5RfvAGw]https://youtu.be/_00I5RfvAGw[/video]

bigboy529

Expert Member
as for pricing, I think Merc should at least try to price the base models so that they compete with the other bakkies in the market, even if the base X-Class competes with the top spec of the others, it should at least compete.
As for that v6 model coming later, me thinks it will come in just under 1 million in top spec form, it will make the price of the v6 Amarok look like childs play.

As for sales, no way this will even remotely compete with the Hilux and Ranger, I think initially it should have pretty decent sales as in 500 odd per month, but eventually it will fall down to Amarok terotory.

Farmers don't buy double cab bakkies for hard work, I can't even see this thing on a farm as a wifes car.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
as for pricing, I think Merc should at least try to price the base models so that they compete with the other bakkies in the market, even if the base X-Class competes with the top spec of the others, it should at least compete.
As for that v6 model coming later, me thinks it will come in just under 1 million in top spec form, it will make the price of the v6 Amarok look like childs play.

As for sales, no way this will even remotely compete with the Hilux and Ranger, I think initially it should have pretty decent sales as in 500 odd per month, but eventually it will fall down to Amarok terotory.

Farmers don't buy double cab bakkies for hard work, I can't even see this thing on a farm as a wifes car.

In reality the should not be struggling with pricing, take one look at that interior and you can see how cheap it is and all those bits carried over from the Navara, but obviously they will want to ride on their badge and price this high above everything else.

I completely agree with you on the sales figures, the Ranger and the Hilux won't be bothered at all by this, good for competition though lest some manufacturers decide to rest on their laurels.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Someone should have whispered to them about those air vents, the might be ok in their sedans but they look awful here.

bigboy529

Expert Member
Oh and if that 2.3 motor they are talking about is a Renault motor then they can GTFO, not interested.

Sumen

Expert Member
Oh and if that 2.3 motor they are talking about is a Renault motor then they can GTFO, not interested.

That's just sad, you forget that it's actually a partnership and not one manufacturer borrowing engines from the other

FiestaST

Honorary Master
In reality the should not be struggling with pricing, take one look at that interior and you can see how cheap it is and all those bits carried over from the Navara, but obviously they will want to ride on their badge and price this high above everything else.

I completely agree with you on the sales figures, the Ranger and the Hilux won't be bothered at all by this, good for competition though lest some manufacturers decide to rest on their laurels.

I am going out on a limp here & say you are making some serious accusations here guy without actually seeing the interior.

The interior looks properly good, in pictures at least. Of course none of us have seen the interior IRL but you can bet your bottom dollar MB would not affix their name onto a vehicle unless it has a certain premium quality the brand is so well known for & respected for.

Also the interior looks drastically different from the twins. Unlike the arse which is clear Navara. Goes to show some major development work went into the interior to set it apart from the *American voice* Neesarn.

Alaskan:

Alaskan.jpg

Navara:

Navara.jpg

X-Class (base):

X-Class (Base).jpg

X-Class (top level):

X-Class (Top Line).jpg

So again the vast majority of people would say perceived interior quality goes tops for:

1) X-Class
2) Amarok
3) Rangey or Hilux (very close call).

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Here is what I think. I know Mercedes-AMG said there are no plans for an AMG X-Class.

Current engine options will be:

Three 4-cylinder engines and a single 6-cylinder unit as follows:

X200 - 122kW/238Nm
X220d - 120kW/403Nm
X250d - 140kW/450Nm
X350d - 190kW/550Nm

The X200 is the only gasoline model & that is only for LHD markets. In theory you know what will be lekker...the 3.0-litre V6 twin-turbo from the C43; E43; GLC43 etc. 270 kW (367 hp) & 520 NM...sounds like a plan! An X43!

Engine.jpg

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I am going out on a limp here & say you are making some serious accusations here guy without actually seeing the interior.

The interior looks properly good, in pictures at least. Of course none of us have seen the interior IRL but you can bet your bottom dollar MB would not affix their name onto a vehicle unless it has a certain premium quality the brand is so well known for & respected for.

Also the interior looks drastically different from the twins. Unlike the arse which is clear Navara. Goes to show some major development work went into the interior to set it apart from the *American voice* Neesarn.

Alaskan:

View attachment 449602

Navara:

View attachment 449600

X-Class (base):

View attachment 449606

X-Class (top level):

View attachment 449604

So again the vast majority of people would say perceived interior quality goes tops for:

1) X-Class
2) Amarok
3) Rangey or Hilux (very close call).

Maybe I expected more from MB, I find myself very underwhelmed by that interior, I will gladly take the Amarok one over that, but different strokes...

FiestaST

Honorary Master
‘NATURAL MOVE’ TO BASE X-CLASS ON NAVARA – MERCEDES

Mercedes-Benz has defended its decision to base its new X-Class double-cab bakkie on the Nissan Navara, describing the move as “kind of natural”.

Volker Mornhinweg, who heads up the Mercedes-Benz Vans division, told CarAdvice that the X-Class was more than a mere rebadged Navara (view the two bakkies side-by-side here).

“Worldwide – I’m talking about the globe, Earth – in the light commercial vehicle [LCV] business, it’s a common approach to work with partners. That’s all over the place. A lot of companies are working together quite successfully,” Mornhinweg told the Australian publication.

“The reason for that is because, over years, LCV-makers have figured out that if we’d like to be, price-wise, attractive, we have to work in some areas together. We can’t achieve, in our LCV segment, the huge amount of numbers as the passenger cars can. One car can sell millions of units, and if you move millions of units, you can come to a quite attractive cost situation,” he explained.

“Therefore, in the LCV segment, it’s quite common. It’s a kind of spirit of this, because partnering in the passenger car segment is not that common. In the LCV business, it’s quite common; it’s a kind of natural move to think about these pick-ups,” he added.

Mornhinweg also said that partnering with the Renault-Nissan alliance allowed the Stuttgart automaker to enjoy a faster turnout time as well as a wider spread of manufacturing facilities.

“For us, we had the target that we would like to introduce our product to market in a short-term notice. Second, it’s a global product, so you cannot only build up one facility; an investment in one plant is huge. We have to have that in different places,” he said, referring to Renault-Nissan alliance factories in Spain and Argentina.

“Therefore, we discussed it with Nissan. They were keen, they were willing, to work together with us when we started the discussions some years ago. Especially Nissan, they have a long tradition in doing pick-ups, and the basis, overall, was usable for us, and so we had it done.”

Mornhinweg said that the X-Class wasn’t merely a Navara wearing a Mercedes badge, arguing that the German bakkie featured revised suspension settings, a unique cabin and the option of a V6 in the flagship model.

“If we had done it just as a double-badge [re-badge] as you kind of see in the LCV business, then maybe we would have another discussion. I fully understand that. It’s hard to say it’s a double-badge,” he argued.

http://www.carmag.co.za/news_post/natural-move-to-base-x-class-on-navara-mercedes/

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Mercedes-Benz reveals plush X-Class pick-up + passenger ride

Mercedes is aiming to broaden the appeal of its pick-up from traditional buyers to the leisure market; it goes on sale at the end of 2017

Mercedes has revealed its much anticipated new premium pick-up, the X-Class.

The model is a five-seat, four-door crew cab pick-up with a separate chassis, four engine options, a choice of selectable or permanent four-wheel drive and six-speed manual or seven-speed automatic transmission options. It goes on sale at the end of this year at prices starting from £34,500, inclusive of £5600 VAT.

The company claims that the X-Class can be used as both a rugged, off-road-capable pick-up, as well as a vehicle for urban families. Mercedes is aiming to meet the rising demand for pick-up trucks with the refinement and convenience features of a conventional car. Besides its robust construction and sophisticated suspension, the X-Class’s premium cabin, connectivity, extensive safety aids and scope for personalisation are all intended to extend its appeal beyond the traditional pick-up buyer looking for a workhorse, towards the leisure market.

The X-Class' core markets are Argentina, South Africa, Australia, Brazil, New Zealand; it has been extensively tested in all, says the car maker. Inspiration comes from the more rugged end of Mercedes' vehicles - the G-Wagen and Unimog are said to have influenced its design. Its core buyer types are businesses, landowners, families, adventurers, independent free spirits, according to designer Gordon Wagener. "It's a vehicle of opposites: hot and cool, tough and elegant, wilderness and civilisation."

To this end, the X-Class is offered with three varieties of dashboard finish, six upholstery options including two in leather and three trim levels, ranging from the entry-level Pure through Power and Progressive. Mercedes-Benz UK expects almost all sales to be of the pricier Power and Progressive trims.

X-Class engines include a 161bhp diesel X220d and 187bhp X250d as well as a 163bhp petrol engine in some markets. A 255bhp, 542lb ft V6 diesel will be released in mid-2018. The X220d and X250d 4Matic provide selectable four-wheel drive, while the six-cylinder unit has permanent four-wheel drive. All versions have low-range gearing; a locking rear axle differential is optional.

Mercedes claims excellent off- and on-road performance, the X-Class’s suspension consisting of coil-sprung double wishbones at the front and a coil-sprung, five-link live axle at the rear. Long spring travel, good articulation and precise wheel control are features, along with ‘a high level of driving dynamics and ride comfort on the road’. The X-Class’s driving character can be altered via Dynamic Select option providing comfort, ECO, sport, manual and off-road choices.

Volker Morningweg, head of vans, says Mercedes feels "It's the right time to launch a premium pick-up. We've put a lot of effort into this." Target models, though not premium, are Toyota Hilux - 'a solid product' - and the Ford Ranger. "We investigated both of these. We're new to this segment, so we have to be considered. Our clear target was excellent refinement - this is more a lifestyle oriented pick-up. It's not a basic workhorse.' It will be built in Spain, alongside the Nissan Navara and Cordoba, Argentina.

Pick-ups are mostly about carrying loads, and the X-Class can carry up to 1042kg – similar to that of mainstream competitors such as the Mitsubishi L200, Toyota Hilux and Nissan Navarra. The load bed length is 1587mm, its width 1560mm and height (to the top of the loadbed walls) 474mm. The X-Class will tow a 3.5 tonne load equivalent to a three-berth horsebox or an 8m yacht. It’s slightly wider than its competitors, and also has the longest wheelbase in the class.

Load securing points are also standard, these becoming load-securing rails on higher trim levels. Typical pick-up options include a styled body-colour rear canopy, a plastic load-bed liner, a bed-divider system, soft and hard tonneau covers, an aluminium roll-top cover, a 156-litre storage box, running boards, a roll-over hoop and a three-piece detachable stainless steel underguard.

Less typical of a pick-up are Active Brake Assist, Lane Keeping Assist and Traffic Sign Assist, along with a connectivity app that enables users to remotely locate the vehicle, check its fuel level and navigate from door-to-door via a smartphone. Also unusual is a higher standard of in-cab finish than typically found aboard pick-up trucks. Mercedes’ Comand infotainment and 360-degree cameras are also options.

We've taken a ride in the X-Class - here's what we thought

In 12 minutes, we enthusiastically attacked a race track, performed standing starts on super-steep hills, effortlessly descended them, traversed a set of moguls that got wheels dangling, clambered over boulders and through a water splash, before riding a bank of earth that tilted this Mercedes 42 degrees from the horizontal. At that angle an occupant sitting on the low side of the car is almost close enough to the ground to drop a window and pick flowers. At the 50 degree tilt that is this pick-up’s tip limit, it would certainly be possible. So that’s impressive.

So is the X-Class’s aura of robustness, and the basic pliancy of its suspension over rough stuff, which is supple enough to cushion sharp jolts effectively. Suspension articulation seems promising too, the succession of earth hillocks that compress the front-left, rear-right, front-right, rear-left springs alternately being taller obstacles than most drivers would tackle. The steep hill from a standing start is no trouble in this X250d automatic either, the task further eased by a hill-holder.

The return to level earth is hill descent controlled, the drop notable for the lack of clack from the ABS actuators. Refinement has been an important aspect of the X-Trail’s development, Mercedes clearly needing to set higher standards than both the Nissan Navara and Renault Alaskan that share much of its innards, as well as rivals such as the VW Amarok. In fact, the Renault-sourced diesel is more rattlingly vocal than you’d expect, though mostly when revved. Otherwise, the X-Class does have much of a car’s civility.

It’s definitely less car-like on a track, unsurprisingly, bodyroll and rear-end tyre squeal accompanying a trip towards the grip limits. But we’re probably travelling faster than you would in most pick-ups, and on this smooth track, it feels controlled. Whether the manners of this Mercedes crew cab improve on the Navarra’s sufficiently to warrant a sizeable price difference we’ll need some testing to reveal. But the promise is there.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/mercedes-benz-reveals-plush-x-class-pick-passenger-ride

Last edited:

FiestaST

Honorary Master
10 things you need to know about the Mercedes-Benz X-Class in SA

It has been quite a week for bakkie fans as Mercedes-Benz debuted its new X-Class in Cape Town on Tuesday.

Premium bakkie

The X-Class, touted as world's first "premium double-cab bakkie", will arrive locally in 2018.

The global launch will take place in October 2017.

The price? According to the automaker: "The Mercedes-Benz pick-up is attractively priced in the segment and is available in Germany from €37 294. Further market-specific prices will be made known successively."

Here are 10 things you need to know about the X-Class:

1. There are three 4-cylinder engines and a single 6-cylinder unit as follows:

X 200 - 122kW/238Nm
X 220 d - 120kW/403Nm
X 250 d - 140kW/450Nm
X 350 d - 190kW/550Nm

2. It's fitted with engageable 4MATIC all-wheel drive (with low-range) and optional differential lock. Permanent all-wheel drive will be available from 2018.

3. There are three trim levels - Pure for utilitarian use, Progressive for quality feel and comfort and Power as the high-end variant for urban lifestyles.

4. It could be a decent workhorse with a payload of up to 1100kg. The load area also offers LEDs to help illuminate the area and its fitted with a 12-volt socket for power tools.

5. It should be a practical bakkie. Here's why:

Details.JPG

6. It has a refined interior - the cabin comprises three trim levels, has leather seats and there are two roof line colours available.

7. It's set to take on local bakkie stalwarts such as the Toyota Hilux and Ford Ranger:

8. It could be great off-road:

Details 2.JPG

9. X-Class customers can connect to their vehicle via a smartphone and can access information such as the location of the vehicle, fuel range and navigation.

10. Customers can add styling bars, side-bars, a canopy and covers for cargo and off-road use.

http://www.wheels24.co.za/OffRoad_a...bout-the-mercedes-benz-x-class-in-sa-20170719