The most desirable tech employers to work for in SA

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
The most desirable tech employers to work for in SA

Universum South Africa released the findings of its annual rankings survey, which revealed that Google is the most sought-after company to work for.

The survey included 23,000 working professionals and 45,000 students who shared their opinions and views on career goals and ideal employers.

Tander

Executive Member
1. Google
2. Transnet
3. Sasol
4 Microsoft
5. BMW
6. Aurecon
7. Eskom
8. Tesla
9. Discovery
10. FNB

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Considering AWS's presence in SA the fact that they don't even make the list makes me question the quality of audience surveyed...

Hamster

Resident Rodent
1. Google
2. Transnet
3. Sasol
4 Microsoft
5. BMW
6. Aurecon
7. Eskom
8. Tesla
9. Discovery
10. FNB
I don't think this list has changed much in 10 years.

Dumbass students.

Gnome

Executive Member
2. Transnet
3. Sasol
7. Eskom
:ROFL::crying:

Literally the only reason you'd want to work for those institutions is because you've heard it is a free ride.
Who on earths wants to go there to build a prosperous career

James-Lo

Look im not trying to be blind here, tho in the long run, aren't All South Africans working as Google as in relating more to demonstrate democracy... But in turning from learning, have no turn on shedding the worth due to unusual benefits. Prime ability is if something sounds to good to be try it is normalised as such... In this ratio the ability to motivate is necessary to stop the already accelerating notion slightly change its direction and thoughts can become dreams... At the end of the day general tech companies rarely advertise, well with in reason other then public tech companies, at least we had the dream

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
Considering AWS's presence in SA the fact that they don't even make the list makes me question the quality of audience surveyed...
Looking at the quality of the other contenders on the list I would agree with this, however, from everything I've read and heard it's not the greatest place to work for - this could just be from what I look for in an employer. I've been contacted by Amazon a few times over the last 3 years asking to come in for an interview and I've declined. I may just be a slacker but I'm not a fan of the way they run.

Looking at the list itself, it immediately indicates the conventional wisdom of "get a degree, get a job at a large business, spend 45 years there, slowly move up the ladder, retire." This is fine in some circumstances but SA needs people to start new businesses and that requires new thinking.

cguy

Expert Member
Look im not trying to be blind here, tho in the long run, aren't All South Africans working as Google as in relating more to demonstrate democracy... But in turning from learning, have no turn on shedding the worth due to unusual benefits. Prime ability is if something sounds to good to be try it is normalised as such... In this ratio the ability to motivate is necessary to stop the already accelerating notion slightly change its direction and thoughts can become dreams... At the end of the day general tech companies rarely advertise, well with in reason other then public tech companies, at least we had the dream
Did you just continuously tap the middle suggestion?

krycor

Honorary Master
1. Google
2. Transnet
3. Sasol
4 Microsoft
5. BMW
6. Aurecon
7. Eskom
8. Tesla
9. Discovery
10. FNB
I think you out of touch with the majority of Sa!

The way I see it.. engineers from Transnet, Sasol and Eskom are more likely ‘success’ stories you hear about in communities for STEM students. This really hasn’t changed all that much.

AWS.. yah because they hire in Jhb (I’m aware they more recently started an office here) for the last decade right? No.. they hire majority of staff in Cpt so do you really think people know of and want to work there. Only reason I know of them is in Cpt 10yrs ago you either worked ACI/Postilion or AWS as they were the two ‘hard’ (very selective, tougher interview process etc) jobs to get. Both in Jhb no one really knows from students perspectives..

Microsoft is up there why? Because they have a BIG presence up here in Jhb.. I don’t know many that prefer them to other tech stack purely because it’s limiting (java, spring, react, so many possibilities) but again.. presence and impact on society. BMW has been on a hiring spree for last 5yrs and perks are nice.. Discovery also up here and they apparently take care of their employees (pending manager) albeit not a great place to be, FNB.. I dunno but they too have massive expansion in employees or they going thru many..

So yah.. the list makes a lot of sense to me, Tesla makes little sense. I’ve always found it weird that a place like Google is on the list when it’s purely business and marketing functions here but then if you look at Gauteng/Jhb Marketing companies seem to be the ‘in’ thing to do if you don’t have a STEM background. But yah.. Cpt people need realize they a minority.

Voicy

Honorary Master
Transnet?! Seriously?!?!
About 30% of the project engineering staff I knew at Eskom jumped ship to Transnet. They claimed the work was easier and the pay was better.

About 90% of those I wouldn't trust with changing a lightbulb.

ripclaw

About 30% of the project engineering staff I knew at Eskom jumped ship to Transnet. They claimed the work was easier and the pay was better.

About 90% of those I wouldn't trust with changing a lightbulb.
Exactly!