The most important skill which could land you a job at Afrihost

werny

Expert Member
mmm.... Seems like they forgot to mention incompetence as one of the skills required to work at Afrihost, strange. :unsure:

Logged a call ages ago for them to create a PTR record for me, they didn't even know what I was asking and then did a reset on my ADSL line and closed the ticket, like WTF..... didn't even bother after that to ask again, high blood pressure isn't worth it.

Aquila ka Hecate

Expert Member
Why on Earth would I ever want to work for them?

Apart from them having a crap reputation, their building is seriously lacking in private office space.

You couldn't hire me for any amount of money.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
One would think it's people with good customer and technical skills and drive to keep customers happy and resolve their issues, but NOOOOOOOO "it's looking for good developers who will fit into the company’s “family values” culture."

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
SLOW news morning for "Staff-Writer"
Has to find some or other way to -- keep the home fires burning .... !

Aquila ka Hecate

Expert Member
I've worked at 5 IT companies in SA, and this office space is what I'd consider 'above average' for your typical IT employee. Grunts in cubicles, Execs in the corner office.
We have to start complaining, then.
Or refusing to work under those conditions.
I did.
I don't know about you, but I'd wager the average programmer doesn't do her best work while being invaded by distractions.

Thor

Honorary Master
Top Skil, at afrihost?

I laughed harder than I should've at this.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
I did.
I don't know about you, but I'd wager the average programmer doesn't do her best work while being invaded by distractions.
Let's be honest, nobody really wants to be in the office. It doesn't matter what the conditions are. I'd rather they implement a work from home policy (perhaps 2 days a week). Sitting in traffic for 2h30 every day is rediculous. Unfortunately our corporate overlords subscribe to the 'bum in chair' philosophy and strictly believe it's better I spend those two hours in traffic than be productive at home.

noxibox

Honorary Master
So does the article mention the required skill anywhere?

I did.
Open plan offices are a really stupid idea for any kind of work that requires focus and concentration. And instead of fixing this modern companies have been doubling down by removing what little barriers there were and reducing the size of people's workspaces. In many places they're now so close together that employees are almost bumping elbows and any stretch risks punching a neighbour in the face.

Let's be honest, nobody really wants to be in the office. It doesn't matter what the conditions are. I'd rather they implement a work from home policy (perhaps 2 days a week). Sitting in traffic for 2h30 every day is rediculous. Unfortunately our corporate overlords subscribe to the 'bum in chair' philosophy and strictly believe it's better I spend those two hours in traffic than be productive at home.
If your commute is that long then I can understand. I mostly prefer to work at an office, but I want one where I am not subjected to noise because there are no walls. That will actually be quieter and less distracting than my home.

SkippyRamirez

Expert Member
Let me guess..... a no-getter, with a don't give a crap attitude is first on the list?

whatwhat

Executive Member
Reminds me of the offices of another "top" IT company in Durban that has ads here once in a while as well.
I remember speaking to one of their branding personnel and asked what sort of ergonomics they considered for their offices - I just got a blank stare and was told the layout was done so that it looks great in photos so they can attract talent.

I just lol'd and walked away.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
So you asked a branding person about how the layout their offices are designed and expected to get a reasoned answer from them?

That is something that I would guess no branding person at any company would know the answer to really, they're there to sell what the company does and attract talent based on that, not details like office ergonomics.

krycor

Honorary Master
I did.
Me thinks the avg joe doesn’t know how to tune out, focus and concentrate.. something older peeps can do. Also.. invaded by distractions is one hell of a way to describe YouTube

Joking but also not.. I’ve seen it all.. from okes that play on phone games to the ones that stare with a blank expression at the screen.

krycor

Honorary Master
Reminds me of the offices of another "top" IT company in Durban that has ads here once in a while as well.
I remember speaking to one of their branding personnel and asked what sort of ergonomics they considered for their offices - I just got a blank stare and was told the layout was done so that it looks great in photos so they can attract talent.

I just lol'd and walked away.
I’d say the persons personality and ability/need/drive to get things done is more important than the surrounding.. there are some things that soften the area and impact mood.. this is true.. but it by no means overrides.

2ndly color is a major thing.. I know Afrihost uses red as a primary branding color but I’d suggest they get an “expert” and find out the impact of having a lot of red in the office space.. I find it hilarious that dev as some, others have a lot of it (workspace) while marketing and others have more tranquil and calming colors.. wtf.

Red = anger, hostility, fight or flight etc psychologically it would be interesting to see if there is any impact on work, customer experience, etc

gwyn909

After my bad experience as a potential customer of Afrihost, I would recommend they get better customer care consultants. I was not impressed with the way I was treated. I felt they were almost as bad as VOX, who were really awful.
I had a similar problem when RAIN decided to hand their accounts to Afrihost. After 1 month they still hadn't sorted the problem, so I went to Web Africa. Sorted in half an hour!! The new sim card arrived three hours later.