The most popular operating systems for smartphones and PCs

Arthur

Honorary Master
The article mentions "Windows Phone". Journalist is obviously not aware that Microsoft stopped doing Windows Phone more than two years ago. That product is dead, deceased, defunct. It's replaced and superseded by Windows 10 Mobile, which is slick, modern, fast and capable - as hundreds of us know and rejoice in first hand.

Last edited:

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
The article mentions "Windows Phone". Journalist is obviously not aware that Microsoft stopped doing Windows Phone more than two years ago. That product is dead, deceased, defunct. It's replaced and superseded by Windows 10 Mobile, which is also dead.
tiftfy

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I've never understood why so many people didn't use the free Windows 10 upgrade when it was available. It's the same thing as Win 7 but better, so what possible reason could you have for not upgrading. If you prefer the old start menu you can get it back in 5 min with Start10.

The article mentions "Windows Phone". Journalist is obviously not aware that Microsoft stopped doing Windows Phone more than two years ago. That product is dead, deceased, defunct. It's replaced and superseded by Windows 10 Mobile, which is slick, modern, fast and capable - as hundreds of us know and rejoice in first hand.
That's the problem - there's only a few hundred of you.

Windows 10 Mobile has been destroyed by the availability and quality of its apps. A slick OS is worthless without great apps to run on it.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I've never understood why so many people didn't use the free Windows 10 upgrade when it was available. It's the same thing as Win 7 but better, so what possible reason could you have for not upgrading. If you prefer the old start menu you can get it back in 5 min with Start10.

Windows 10 Mobile has been destroyed by the availability and quality of its apps. A slick OS is worthless without great apps to run on it.
Still available. Did a laptop today via the assistive upgrade method.

Arthur

Honorary Master

For a desktop/laptop that makes sense. But for a phone? Win10 Mobile has all the apps I need, incl Msft Office, banking (Investec), security cams, RSS readers, WhatsApp and other mainline IMs, Slack, Teams, Skype, podcasts, media players galore incl VLC, password managers, turn-by-turn nav with offline global maps, altcoin apps, etc, etc, etc. My two-year-old phone has a decent 20 megapixel camera and outstanding cam software. What else does one need?

I tried to move to Android. Bought the top-end 128GB Google Nexus 6P. Upgraded it to the latest 'droid. What a disappointment. And lousy battery life. Moreover, generally speaking, the apps were pretty crappy compared to the Win Mobile versions.

But most people would never know that. The mind- and market share war was lost long ago, during the baroque phase of smartphone app-mania.

Last edited:

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master

That telemetry and auto upgrade issue screwed it up imo. Chowed bandwidth for many users, especially when it was seeding

biometrics

Honorary Master
That telemetry and auto upgrade issue screwed it up imo. Chowed bandwidth for many users, especially when it was seeding
For a network of unattended media players we had to disable Windows Update in Services. It works but really not ideal.

biometrics

Honorary Master
Since when are iPhone and iPad operating systems? What writes this crap?

Genisys

Honorary Master
Cause it's k@k Win7 all the way!
Windows 10 is way better, also gives a better performance in general. I'd rather be on new software than to worry about the potential threads on Windows 7.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Win 7 on my work laptop, Win 10 on my games PC. I prefer Win 7. So there.
Cause it's k@k Win7 all the way!
Very substantiated opinions. Windows 10 running something like Start10 is basically identical to Windows 7. But much better for gaming and a bit slicker in some respects.

Don't see any reason not to upgrade for free.

biometrics

Honorary Master
Very substantiated opinions. Windows 10 running something like Start10 is basically identical to Windows 7. But much better for gaming and a bit slicker in some respects.

Don't see any reason not to upgrade for free.
Don't see any reason to upgrade. And now?

PS: it's not "much better for gaming". No need to lie to make your point.