The most powerful smartphones you can buy in South Africa

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
The most powerful smartphones you can buy in South Africa

The second half of 2018 saw the arrival of impressive smartphones with cutting-edge hardware, from the Huawei Mate 20 Pro to Apple's new iPhones.

The iPhone Xs and iPhone Xr are powered by Apple's A12 Bionic chipset, which was classified as the most powerful smartphone chip in the world at launch.

Ryan.Jacobs

If I may ask how does the S10 stack up against these seeing that is has the newest chipset?

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
If I may ask how does the S10 stack up against these seeing that is has the newest chipset?
Not that well, The Exynos 9820 that we get in SA is closer to Snapdragon 845 performance than the new Snapdragon 855's thats in the new phones like Mi 9 also in the US version of Galaxy S10's

Last edited:

bwana

MyBroadband
To determine which smartphones are the most powerful in South African, we compared AnTuTu benchmark scores for each device.
So you didn't even test the phones yourself? :unsure:

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
So you didn't even test the phones yourself? :unsure:
Even worse, they took only one benchmark (Antutu) and this after couple of OEM's been caught "cheating" in some tests. Thats why all the proper sites show Geekbench, Antutu and Basemark scores together.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Glad my MI 8 is there somewhere and I got it under R6k :p

Dolby

Honorary Master
I'm not sure on benchmarks anymore. I've read silly articles that the A12 is years ahead of anything on the planet, and years ahead of the latest Android chips... Because it has a great Geekbench score.

Yet, in real world speed tests it couldn't open Factbook, Netflix or Spotify quicker than the Kirin 980. It couldn't even open its own Dialer or Settings quicker :/

No idea where the speed went... But it certainly wasn't on using the phone