The MyBB pay it forward thread

Should we add a name and shame list to the OP

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Ok, also found some more "cupboard" items... I honestly cannot believe what I've accrued over the years!! :D
Going to list separately...

10. UltraGen UG3200 inverter, 24v, 2000w - used for 2 years, but now makes a buzzing noise when Eksdom goes off - my 100ah DC31's were knackered in any event, so it may be the batteries caused the buzzing when it's trying to charge them... if someone can use it/fix it, feel free to collect

NOTE: this thing weighs 21 kg's so no courier or packaging up - collection in Randburg/Florida North ONLY

View attachment 640526
View attachment 640520
View attachment 640522
View attachment 640524
if there isn't a more needy soul i would really enjoy this to see if i can fix up and give it to my brother to keep his little one busy with a movie or something when the power goes off

RedViking

Nord of the South
if there isn't a more needy soul i would really enjoy this to see if i can fix up and give it to my brother to keep his little one busy with a movie or something when the power goes off
The buzzing noise might just be the modified sine or batteries than needs to be replaced. You can probably hookup 2x105 deep cycle batteries and will be good for hours.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
The buzzing noise might just be the modified sine or batteries than needs to be replaced.
i am suspecting the batteries, i have seen a case where the cables were too small to the batteries and it caused the inverter to hummm, im thinking its similar but caused by the batteries

howardb

Expert Member
Sure!
PM me and we can arrange.

The buzzing noise might just be the modified sine or batteries than needs to be replaced. You can probably hookup 2x105 deep cycle batteries and will be good for hours.
i am suspecting the batteries, i have seen a case where the cables were too small to the batteries and it caused the inverter to hummm, im thinking its similar but caused by the batteries
I think it may be, it is modified sine but ran the fridge/freezer and garage door no problems during the stage 4 recently - I had 4x 100ah Royal DC31's hooked up at 24v - 3 of them showed as knackered last week so dismantled the entire setup and replaced with new.
Just changed over to lithium's as well, so wasn't going to buy more DC's to check/replace ;)
Just happy someone can use it instead of it being thrown on the junk pile/recycled.

howardb

Expert Member
I keep on finding things - it's a bloody big cupboard!!! :D

13. three different DSTV remotes - bought as spares years ago and can't recall using them after after we cancelled DSTV and gave away the decoders...

1x A6 model - boxed
DSTV Remote A6_1.jpg
DSTV Remote A6_2.jpg

1x A3 model - not boxed
DSTV Remote A3_3.jpg
DSTV Remote A3_4.jpg

1x A3 model (I think, no markings) - not boxed
DSTV Remote A3_1.jpg
DSTV Remote A3_2.jpg

Cannot test to see if they work, however they were in my box of "new spares", so probably never used.

Collection from Randburg (a/h) or Florida North (o/h), or send your own courier - can box up if needed.

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
I keep on finding things - it's a bloody big cupboard!!! :D

13. three different DSTV remotes - bought as spares years ago and can't recall using them after after we cancelled DSTV and gave away the decoders...

1x A6 model - boxed
View attachment 640594
View attachment 640596

1x A3 model - not boxed
View attachment 640590
View attachment 640592

1x A3 model (I think, no markings) - not boxed
View attachment 640586
View attachment 640588

Cannot test to see if they work, however they were in my box of "new spares", so probably never used.

Collection from Randburg (a/h) or Florida North (o/h), or send your own courier - can box up if needed.
one way of testing remotes back in the day is by using your cell phone.
put it into video mode and point the remote at the camera
press some buttons and in the preview on your cellphone you should see the remote and some flashing blue lights from the LED transmitter
:)
I use to do this all the time when batteries were running flat and wasnt sure if remote was broken or what

howardb

Expert Member
one way of testing remotes back in the day is by using your cell phone.
put it into video mode and point the remote at the camera
press some buttons and in the preview on your cellphone you should see the remote and some flashing blue lights from the LED transmitter
I use to do this all the time when batteries were running flat and wasnt sure if remote was broken or what
Cool, will try that ;)

Zuner

Expert Member
If this doesn't go through pls put me in line, that charger is too good to pass up.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Sinclair Timex 2040 Printer - for the ZX Spectrum 48K
Still in box and styrene - bought in the UK in 1987 - original paper roll, used once or twice.
Original power supply included and manual also included - no SA plug (bare wires - fit your own ;) ) have not powered up to test it...

Collection only (JHB - Randburg/Florida North)
Would rather not courier...I have no box that it would fit into...

View attachment 640510
View attachment 640512
I won't lie... That is seriously tempting. More memories. Had no idea it was a speccy!!!

howardb

Expert Member
PS I just did the test again now and results are:
iPhone 6 fokkoli, nothing, you see zero
cheap kak Samsung you see the pretty lights on the screen very brightly.
It works! I never new you could do that - pretty purple lights!
I guess the remotes all work :)

I won't lie... That is seriously tempting. More memories. Had no idea it was a speccy!!!
Yep, when I got my speccy back then, all I wanted to do was punch some code from the Spectrum mag - remember the center page pullouts with like 12 pages of code...took me days to enter and then it didn't work cos of 1 tiny error... then the speccy crashed or restarted... I don't think I ever managed to actually code anything! Happy days.

howardb

Expert Member
@howardb that case, man I had one of those it was a beast of note. Wonder if the guy who took it from me knows what a case he got.
That it is! I kept on adding drives and it never seemed to run out of space! A great case, lots of room and runs cool when the fans are all fitted as needed. I loved the additional SATA drive bay tray on the top, for when you needed to quickly attach a HDD to check the contents...

Lupus

Honorary Master
That it is! I kept on adding drives and it never seemed to run out of space! A great case, lots of room and runs cool when the fans are all fitted as needed. I loved the additional SATA drive bay tray on the top, for when you needed to quickly attach a HDD to check the contents...
Yup it has some nice features, on that case I also added an additional icey dock drive bay :)

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Sinclair Timex 2040 Printer - for the ZX Spectrum 48K
Still in box and styrene - bought in the UK in 1987 - original paper roll, used once or twice.
Original power supply included and manual also included - no SA plug (bare wires - fit your own ;) ) have not powered up to test it...

Collection only (JHB - Randburg/Florida North)
Would rather not courier...I have no box that it would fit into...

View attachment 640510
View attachment 640512
If still available, very keen. As in VERY keen :)

I've got the matching Timex 1000 (the US brand of the ZX81) but no accessories.