The MyBB pay it forward thread

Should we add a name and shame list to the OP

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Thanks to eBucks I finally upgraded to a new cordless drill driver.

So putting my old tried and tested kit up for grabs to a DIY-ish home.

1 x Hitachi 12v Cordless Drill Driver.
1 x Hitachi Spotlight torch thingy.
2 x batteries
1 x charger

Apart from batteries not holding charge when they are stored and battery power draining way quicker than years ago.

The drill is still in perfect working order.

We used the torch attachment probably 5 times. Does an Okayish job.

It will work nice for small odd jobs. Might be frustrating to try on bigger projects because you'll run out of battery power a few times before completing everything.

Anyway. The kit is available in Pretoria East if anybody wants to try a few drilling and screwing jobs.

Dusty AF but I'll wipe them down.

View attachment 647368
Whoever takes this, you can get the batteries repacked :)

https://www.batteryexperts.co.za/product-category/drill-batteries-repacked/

Nice PIF...

airborne

Executive Member
Those prices are very good, granted at those rates you have to do the fitment yourself, which is easy enough. Last I checked to repack a 12v battery pack was R650 incl labour.

But as Zuner mentioned best to convert it to Li-ion but there is a caveat, you can't use 18650 cells from laptop batteries in power tools because they aren't high drain cells and can't supply sufficient current. I have tried and the cordless tool will work but when you load the tool heavily, like drilling a bigger hole it will cut out/stop prematurely. High drain cells are expensive, typically around R100 a cell and you need about 6-8 cells for a decent battery pack and then you need a li-ion charger and probably a Bms.

Zuner

Expert Member
Those prices are very good, granted at those rates you have to do the fitment yourself, which is easy enough. Last I checked to repack a 12v battery pack was R650 incl labour.

But as Zuner mentioned best to convert it to Li-ion but there is a caveat, you can't use 18650 cells from laptop batteries in power tools because they aren't high drain cells and can't supply sufficient current. I have tried and the cordless tool will work but when you load the tool heavily, like drilling a bigger hole it will cut out/stop prematurely. High drain cells are expensive, typically around R100 a cell and you need about 6-8 cells for a decent battery pack and then you need a li-ion charger and probably a Bms.
Good point didn't think about the C ratings of laptop cells.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Pc, Hdd, External enclosure. (Both HDD ok) Think the power supply of the pc is stuffed.
HP Laptop in Dell bag - For spares. Location: Rustenburg.

View attachment 642128

View attachment 642130

View attachment 642132

View attachment 642134

View attachment 642136
Thanks @HunterNW, collected the stuff earlier this week from your friend living a halfway. I do regret we didn't meet together.

Both 750GB and 80GB hard drives do work as you mentioned, also an external USB enclosure is working, it is not easy to find a dual mode IDE/SATA. I found in the original packaging box an ATA cable, I will put a large IDE drive there, otherwise IDE hard drive would be wasted.

As for the PC box, it looked as a PSU problem indeed. It started booting on a spare PSU, but only on the original Nvidia 7600GT, not an internal graphics. After a while it started booting on a PCI card. So I connected back the original PSU and now is booting on the internal graphics too. A mystery things. It was pehaps some data corruption in NV-RAM configuration. Did it stopped booting after a lightning? Now it is a complete E6320 Core 2 Duo PC with a hard drive and Nvidia GPU, expensive at that time. I see a gardener smile on my back. :)

A Dell laptop bag looks like a new one, thank you very much. Not going to give to anyone...

HP laptop is well maintained, charger is OK but not booting. A battery is locked up due to being discharged by a laptop over a long time. I will try to repair electronics later, but now I picked up a keyboard for my laptop as planned.

And now is a story of my keyboard. My laptop came with number of missing keycaps and scissor mechanisms. I bought a spare keyboard for R200 on MyBB, but a fellow forumnie has bastarised a keyboard trying to disassemby by force. A one fastening bolt was ruptured of a keyboard in a stupid move.

I was hoping for plan B - moving keycaps to an original keyboard, but it didn't work, as there are 3 different manufacturers of this keyboard and scissor mechanisms did not match my keyboard. So I was using a failing/abused keyboard for a long time.

Now I take your keyboard which look identical to mine, but mine is 15.6" laptop and a connector is on the wrong side! Fortunately your keyboard is a quality one from a Chicony the same as mine, so plan B is working. Now typing on a quality Chicony keyboard with keycaps from your keyboard. :)

Happy Easter to you, family and also other members!

TheJman

Expert Member

Myrrdin

Expert Member
I am not sure what to do here.

PIF was offered.

Am travelling in Zim, will post a few items when I'm back. I have an old dusty wheel similar to this:

View attachment 643850

In EL. It has USB interface to the PC, but not sure what drivers are available after XP. May be fun for the little one to play with even if you don't get it set up on PC. I think I recall getting it working on Windows 7 at one point. Logitech: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1118407
PIF was accepted.

I'd like to dibs on that for my son please. Thanks. Will pay for delivery.
Sent a pm to confirm acceptance.
Got a pm confirmation that user will let me know dimensions to arrange shipping.
Two weeks have passed since with no response. As there has been several issues on the thread I don't want to add to that. I don't want to harass Daruk either, not my intention but how long is a reasonable time before I write if off as not going to happen?

Daruk

Honorary Master
I am not sure what to do here.

PIF was offered.

PIF was accepted.

Sent a pm to confirm acceptance.
Got a pm confirmation that user will let me know dimensions to arrange shipping.
Two weeks have passed since with no response. As there has been several issues on the thread I don't want to add to that. I don't want to harass Daruk either, not my intention but how long is a reasonable time before I write if off as not going to happen?
I'm here, back from Zim - just been chaotic. Off to Uganda next week but I've found the box and will pack it and have it ready for collection this weekend. Sorry for the delay. My wife will be home to hand it over.

Myrrdin

Expert Member
I'm here, back from Zim - just been chaotic. Off to Uganda next week but I've found the box and will pack it and have it ready for collection this weekend. Sorry for the delay. My wife will be home to hand it over.
Thanks. You are in EL and I am on the Jhb so we have to make a plan to have it shipped to me. Send me the dimensions thanks and the address.

abudabi

Expert Member
Tenda wireless ADSL D301 going begging since I've switched over to fibre. Hardly been used.
1556603462960.png

Can meetup in Fourways/Randburg/Sandton areas.