The MyBroadband 2015 Rugby World Cup Competition

MickeyD

RIP
MyBroadband has agreed to sponsor some great prizes for our RWC competition. To spice things up we have decided on a different format to that of simply predicting a winner.

Competition Format:

1. Each entrant picks 5 teams. 1 from Tier 1, 1 from Tier 2 and 3 from Tier 3.
2. Picks must be made by midnight on Thursday, 17 September 2015.
3. Entrants are awarded points according to their teams' performances:
- every try is 6 points
- every penalty or dropped goal is 2 points
- every conversion is 1 point
- no points are awarded for win, draw, etc.
4. The winner is the entrant with the most points after the Final on 31 October 2015.

Rankings:

Tier 1:
New Zealand
South Africa
Australia
France

Tier 2:
England
Ireland
Samoa
Argentina

Tier 3:
Canada
Fiji
Georgia
Italy
Japan
Namibia
Romania
Scotland
Tonga
Uruguay
USA
Wales

Standard MyBB Competition Rules will apply including the following:
1. No clones.
2. Entrants must make a minimum of 50 constructive posts in the MyBB/MyGaming RWC threads during the RWC (from the Opening Ceremony until the final whistle).
3. If there is a tie, then most points for tries scored will be used to determine the winner. Still tied? Penalties, then Dropped Goals, then Conversions. If still tied then the team with the least number of red cards, then yellow cards, then via a lucky draw.

I will maintain the list of entrants, their choices and the points on a spreadsheet that can be easily audited and I will publish the updated points situation daily (after the last game of the day).

Although I will enter I am not allowed to win any of the prizes on offer.

To maintain the secrecy of your selections, you can PM me your picks. I will publish them in post #2 after the closing date.

Awesome! Nicely done MickeyD! I will make my picks closer to the cutoff date.

MickeyD, I've been thinking. Surely many of us will be choosing the same teams. Do we pick once and then end up with the same amount of points in the end?

MickeyD, I've been thinking. Surely many of us will be choosing the same teams. Do we pick once and then end up with the same amount of points in the end?
Likelihood was investigated and found to be very slim.

PS. Folks, you are welcome to PM me your picks if you want to keep it private.

How were those tiers decided? Like why is Wales in Tier 3, but Samoa and Argentina are in Tier 2? :confused:

Yeah, also a bit concerned about this.

How were those tiers decided? Like why is Wales in Tier 3, but Samoa and Argentina are in Tier 2? :confused:

Yeah, also a bit concerned about this.
Those were the RWC rankings when the RWC pools were decided by the IRB.

Tier 1: New Zealand
Tier 2: England
Tier 3:Italy, Scotland, Wales

PM sent, I see a lot of comparisons already... and I am not that different from the picks above also.

Just a hint here...

You need to look at the fixtures when making your choice. It's easy to look at the 3 tiers and pick the "best" teams there, but... how far will those teams get before being knocked out?

1. New Zealand
2. Ireland
3. Wales, USA, Italy

Awesome idea for the RWC :)

Back