The mystery of South Africa's Amazon Prime Day

Daniel Puchert

Journalist
Staff member
Big Amazon South Africa Prime Day mystery

Amazon is keeping dead quiet on availability of its Prime subscription service in South Africa, while its annual Prime Day sale is just around the corner.

Amazon Prime is a hugely popular subscription plan in the US and several other countries where Amazon has marketplaces.

So Amazon and Takealot will be competing on birthday deals?

Amazon South Africa has been a bit of a letdown so far.
Agree. Most products I wanted and were waiting for Amazon SA to launch, is still 50% cheaper to buy on Amazon US, transport , import in SA and deliver to my door. Why would I use Amazon SA, it seems SA companies selling on Amazon SA have unreasonable profits loaded on top of what it really cost and most of them don't even have brick and motor shop, so that cost can't be the excuse for hight markups.

Agree. Most products I wanted and were waiting for Amazon SA to launch, is still 50% cheaper to buy on Amazon US, transport , import in SA and deliver to my door. Why would I use Amazon SA, it seems SA companies selling on Amazon SA have unreasonable profits loaded on top of what it really cost and most of them don't even have brick and motor shop, so that cost can't be the excuse for hight markups.
It's a worldly thing. Everywhere Amazon launches it matches the local market so I don't know why people thought SA would get access to the US catalogue. If you look at the UK catalogue it's virtually the same stuff at the same price but in Pounds instead of Dollars so they also pay more.

Back