'The need is massive,' say donors as 3km Centurion food queue shocks SA

Supersoaker

Expert Member
https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...donors-as-3km-centurion-food-queue-shocks-sa/

“The need for food is massive. More than 80% of this community are foreigners and they have not received any help from government. We are happy we made a small difference,”

"Via Pro -Active Security: a birds eye view of the queues in Mooiplaas Centurion today. 8000 food hampers were distributed.

Video footage of the queue caught the attention of Peter Hain, a British politician and former anti-apartheid activist, who raised the need for humanitarian aid.

“It shows this thing hasn’t even started, because if that video is outside the richest city in the richest country in Africa, just imagine what could be even now creeping up on the rest of the continent. And where is UK, EU, US aid? Nowhere!” he tweeted.

From friend outside Johannesburg “scene where we delivered emergency food parcels today to Mainly non SA citizens who government not assisting much if at all We got in 5000 parcels” ⁦@ACTSA_UK⁩ ⁦@lisanandy⁩ ⁦@NigelCaseyHC⁩ ⁦@DFID_UK@OfficeGSBrown

There are about 10 000 informal dwellings in this township @PeterHain. 50% of residents are Zimbabwean, 30% South Africa, 10% from Mozambique and the rest from Malawi, Cameroon, Mali etc."

1588363628384.png
1588363664084.png

And here I thought my situation is bad, my heart goes out to these people.

B-1

Expert Member
I've had a number of people from there helping out with weekend jobs and when dropping them off at home its usually pretty dire. The other squatter camps have improved vastly over the last few years but mooiplaas is still really rough.

IndigoIdentity

Expert Member
My apologies, I did search for this beforehand but it seems I wasn't thorough enough. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

No worries but just pointing that out ;-)

That said... This situation is pretty damn nuts... I honestly have a heart for people like this as many of them have come here to better their situation and it seems that things might have become a lot worse.

Supersoaker

Expert Member
Mods please lock or delete this thread. I've moved into the above mentioned thread.