The New Golf (2017 - Mk 7.5)

Mistro

You guys really don't like the golf :ROFL: Try a Clubsport/S, you'll sing a different tune.
In any case there aren't many hot hatches available to our market and with the current trend most future hot hatches will be the 'same' and on 'par', look at all the power figures being realised, e.g. A35, M135i, ST, and probably the Golf 8R and S3 will continue with the same formula.

nazmo

reason i ignore most of them gti and r drivers.Half of them are brain dead.You cant take them seriously , they end of having the car for a few years and getting rip of it.Its more of a "phase" type of car.These owners dont treat these cars as colletables.Once they bored of a GTI or R , they then try upgrade to a Audi :sleep::sleep::sleep:
Thats hilarious! He told me "i want an RS3 next, something FWD and even faster"

Meanwhile im content, want to keep my current car as long as I can and get an M2 rather :p

Either way. dont get me wrong, Gti/Golf R are amazing machines! just the cape town croud corrupts it

nazmo

You guys really don't like the golf :ROFL: Try a Clubsport/S, you'll sing a different tune.
In any case there aren't many hot hatches available to our market and with the current trend most future hot hatches will be the 'same' and on 'par', look at all the power figures being realised, e.g. A35, M135i, ST, and probably the Golf 8R and S3 will continue with the same formula.

I would love a clubsport! super expensive. but as I said before, the stigma man. and once you tasted chassis, you cant go back to safe balance.

ubercal

Expert Member
Thats hilarious! He told me "i want an RS3 next, something FWD and even faster"

Meanwhile im content, want to keep my current car as long as I can and get an M2 rather :p

Either way. dont get me wrong, Gti/Golf R are amazing machines! just the cape town croud corrupts it
Thinking about it , its mainly the owners that put me off these cars rather then the car itself.

Mistro

I would love a clubsport! super expensive. but as I said before, the stigma man. and once you tasted chassis, you cant go back to safe balance.
I get you! Speaking of which, have you tried the new Megane RS? Very mixed feelings about it, considering how the previous gen was.

nazmo

I get you! Speaking of which, have you tried the new Megane RS? Very mixed feelings about it, considering how the previous gen was.
Waiting for the trophy before i testdrive one hey. i tend to buy when i testdrive

Neuk_

Expert Member
reason i ignore most of them gti and r drivers.Half of them are brain dead.You cant take them seriously , they end of having the car for a few years and getting rip of it.Its more of a "phase" type of car.These owners dont treat these cars as colletables.Once they bored of a GTI or R , they then try upgrade to a Audi :sleep::sleep::sleep:
Hau! I know what you mean though but would like to think I am not one of them.

Neuk_

Expert Member
chatted to an oke for over an hr about cars other night. drives a 7.5 with sw/dp and the usual, that black spoiler and such... typical CPT build.... all they hop on about is power, kw, torque, mods. and straight line dragging ability... More i tried to explain too much power corrupts chassis balance, and i have no interest in more power... just didnt sink in lol.
I really don't understand why you need any more power from a 7R or 7.5R? There is more than enough to get in to real trouble on a public road and there is not a **** I am tracking the car so I can only presume illegal racing?

kripstoe

Expert Member
Most? How do you quantify that? That's like saying all Subaru drivers are lesbian. From the people I know driving GTI/R, not a single one is modified.

What's wrong upgrading to an Audi. Most people who can afford a GTI/R, tend to have growing families that require a bigger car. Sounds more like you're sour/jealous... which explains the constant comments in this thread. ;)

nazmo

I really don't understand why you need any more power from a 7R or 7.5R? There is more than enough to get in to real trouble on a public road and there is not a **** I am tracking the car so I can only presume illegal racing?
Most? How do you quantify that? That's like saying all Subaru drivers are lesbian. From the people I know driving GTI/R, not a single one is modified.

What's wrong upgrading to an Audi. Most people who can afford a GTI/R, tend to have growing families that require a bigger car. Sounds more like you're sour/jealous... which explains the constant comments in this thread. ;)

Maybe its a cape town thing, or the people I know. But they ALL modified, Software at least, but mostly SW/DP. then usually a drop and that horrible spoiler has become quite common.

Nothing wrong with mods/upgrading. pretty much every car I owned i have, or at least wanted to upgrade something... I just think there is a very specific stigma at the moment about VAG. And that does mean kudos to VAG for making strong, modifiable vehicles as well.

kripstoe

Expert Member
Maybe its a cape town thing, or the people I know. But they ALL modified, Software at least, but mostly SW/DP. then usually a drop and that horrible spoiler has become quite common.

Nothing wrong with mods/upgrading. pretty much every car I owned i have, or at least wanted to upgrade something... I just think there is a very specific stigma at the moment about VAG. And that does mean kudos to VAG for making strong, modifiable vehicles as well.
BS. I live in Cape Town. And nobody I know who had/has a GTI modified them. Maybe it's the crowd you hang with.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Here's why the Volkswagen Golf GTD was pulled from South Africa

CARmag.co.za recently broke the news Volkswagen South Africa had discontinued the Golf GTD. And now we’ve received information from the local arm of the German brand on the reasons behind the decision.

“Customer uptake of the GTD has been slow. The model has been phased out in order to rationalise the Golf range and focus on our best sellers, GTI and R,” VW SA told us.

Interestingly, although we know the German brand is gearing up to start building the upcoming Golf 8, VW SA added the “end of the production of the current Golf is in 2020”.

As we pointed out in our original story, the Golf GTD was recently removed from the Wolfsburg-based firm’s local website.

It had slotted into VW SA’s range below the Golf GTI, with its 2,0-litre, four-cylinder turbodiesel engine offering 130 kW and 350 N.m to the front axle via a six-speed dual-clutch transmission. The automaker claimed a combined fuel economy of 5,9 L/100 km, a 0-100 km/h time of 7,4 seconds and a top speed of 230 km/h.

https://www.carmag.co.za/news/industry-news/heres-why-the-volkswagen-golf-gtd-was-pulled-from-south-africa/

Neuk_

Expert Member
Agreed. Just about every car I have owned I have done something to it, even the R but larger paddle shifters isn't really modifying. It is the first car I haven't really had any urge to play around with.

ubercal

Expert Member
Hau! I know what you mean though but would like to think I am not one of them.
Not all of them owners are douchebags , but a few number are.It could be that they are practical and relativity affordable which means there is a large market for these cars.I know a few people that own these cars , and are not your stereotype GTI owner.Mind you they also own other cars so they more clued up then your typical boy racer kid.

Last edited:

FiestaST

Honorary Master
No opinions about the GTD removed from the local lineup, poor uptake?

Nice in theory.

Neuk_

Expert Member

Nice in theory.
I am not surprised, with GTi's and R's making up the bulk of Golf sales from at least the MkV, the GTD was going to struggle as it simply doesn't come close in terms of performance. I would have been keen on a GTD but I had already bought my R and was never going to swop it for a GTD.

kripstoe

Expert Member

Nice in theory.
I completely understand the poor uptake.

If you want to buy a Golf and paying R500k+ you're not really going to worry too much about fuel. So then a GTI would do the trick. As a cruiser the GTD might make sense, but then again the cheaper 2.0 TDI also checks all the boxes. So it was stuck between two perfectly suited cars, of the same brand and model.