The New Golf (2017 - Mk 7.5)

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Volkswagen Golf GTI hot hatch handed a whopping 296 kW upgrade

American tuner APR has revealed its latest performance upgrades for the seventh-generation Volkswagen Golf GTI, handing the German hot hatch a substantial increase in power and a soundtrack to match.

Churning out 169 kW and 350 N.m of torque as standard, 2,0-litre turbocharged four-banger has been tweaked to send a whopping 296 kW and 546 N.m to the front axle via its six-speed dual-clutch transmission. That's 83 kW and 176 N.m more than the Golf GTI TCR (which has been confirmed for local shores) and 68 kW and 146 N.m more than the four-wheel-drive Golf R, which we tested earlier in 2019.

The aforementioned package does, however, require the use of 104 octane fuel. Fortunately, a 295 kW and 522 N.m version is also on offer, which is perfectly happy running on 93 unleaded.

APR Golf GTI.jpg

Neuk_

Expert Member
The 296kw package requires 104 while the 295kw requires 93? That must be a typo?

Neuk_

Expert Member
No, the difference is the torque. More boost.

But by '93 unleaded', they mean 95 RON.
It's a whole 24nm for the cost of 104 unleaded? And yes, that 93 is American so I assume the 104 is 06 then?

Neuk_

Expert Member
Incremental upgrades cost the higher you go and the closer you get to the limit..
Fully agreed, but the incremental change for an 11 octane jump allowing you to run more boost, more timing, etc, etc. seems very low to me.

asshat99

Fully agreed, but the incremental change for an 11 octane jump allowing you to run more boost, more timing, etc, etc. seems very low to me.
sure, but maybe the gap between this and the engine popping is now exhausted anyway. Or they are leaving home for more pricey upgrades.

Neuk_

Expert Member
sure, but maybe the gap between this and the engine popping is now exhausted anyway. Or they are leaving home for more pricey upgrades.
I am sure they are leaving room for more pricy upgrades, if they are at the limit then I don't see why there was effort put in to make the 104 map as it offers little over the 93 map.

asshat99

I am sure they are leaving room for more pricy upgrades, if they are at the limit then I don't see why there was effort put in to make the 104 map as it offers little over the 93 map.
Some people are willing to pay more to get the very best. Braai bragging rights maybe. That is definitely far over the value curve for most people.

Last edited:

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Volkswagen Golf GTI TCR hot hatch upgraded to a whopping 331 kW!

A German tuner has released details of its upgrade packages for the Volkswagen Golf GTI TCR, with the most extreme kit pushing the front-driven hot hatch to a whopping 331 kW.

The folks over at B&B Automobiltechnik, a tuning company based in the German city of Siegen, have created four packages for the Golf GTI TCR, which boasts 213 kW and 370 N.m in standard guise.

The Stage 1 kit, which seemingly comprises little more than an ECU remap, pushes the peak outputs to 250 kW and 450 N.m, similar to ABT Sportsline's efforts. Stage 2 (adding a stainless steel exhaust system and “optimised” air intakes) sees those figures rise to 265 kW/470 N.m, while Stage 3 results in 294 kW (yes, just like the all-paw Audi RS3 Sportback) and 520 N.m.

Stage 4, however, is the big one, adding items like a turbocharger upgrade and high-performance intercooler, plus changes to the transmission. The result is 331 kW and 580 N.m, which facilitates a sprint from zero to 100 km/h in a claimed 4,5 seconds (that’s a full 1,1 seconds quicker than standard) and a top speed somewhere in the region of 280 km/h.

65597499_1.jpg65597499_2.jpg