The new iOS and macOS features coming next month

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
The new iOS and macOS features coming next month

Apple Inc. is planning to unleash a slew of new apps, features and development tools at its annual software conference next month.

To improve its devices and strengthen its connection to customers, the consumer technology giant will continue to walk a fine line between wooing outside app makers while also competing against them.

[Bloomberg]

Gudnews

I laugh because I probably will never own an Apple product, it's just not in my budget range and yet it's the reality for hundreds of millions of people. These Macs and iPhones and whatnot sound great.

Thor

Honorary Master
That second bit sounds like a surveillance tactic in disguise. #HotMic
There will be a section for “hearing health,” like how loud you play music on your headphones or the loudness of the external environment.

Thor

Honorary Master
What is required server side to make this work? (rephrased what effect will this have on the server (IMAP)
The built-in Mail app will be updated with the ability to mute individual threads, block incoming email from certain contacts, and will have simpler folder management.

Thor

Honorary Master
I think for me the biggest hurdle preventing me from switching to iOS is that I cannot seem to find a way to attach an image as a document in Whatsapp like you do on Android to prevent WhatsApp from sending a compressed version.

hungrymamba

Expert Member
I laugh because I probably will never own an Apple product, it's just not in my budget range and yet it's the reality for hundreds of millions of people. These Macs and iPhones and whatnot sound great.

Peasants will be peasants.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
What is required server side to make this work? (rephrased what effect will this have on the server (IMAP)
It will probably just do it all client-side, e.g. muting is a client-side action, check an email's address before requesting it or download and then block it, and folder management is client side.
I think for me the biggest hurdle preventing me from switching to iOS is that I cannot seem to find a way to attach an image as a document in Whatsapp like you do on Android to prevent WhatsApp from sending a compressed version.
Telegram. :p

The software, for the second year in a row, will speed up the devices and reduce bugs. There will be user interface tweaks, including a new animation when launching multitasking and closing apps.
What can't they just release this in the incremental updates?
The company is testing a new keyboard option that allows users to swipe across letters on the keyboard in one motion to type out words (Apple could choose to keep this feature internal). This is similar to options on Android handsets and it would compete with third-party iPhone apps such SwiftKey.
That feature only took quite a few years... (Swype was around Android 2 time)
A new feature similar to popular third-party apps Duet Display and Luna Display that will let users use their iPad as a second Mac screen with the ability to draw with an Apple Pencil, expand the viewing area, and get Mac notifications.
This is useful, but if it can't work with a Windows machine, it's useless for a vast majority of iPad users.
A more organized “share sheet” interface for sharing photos and web links. The software will suggest people to send content to based on how frequently you interact with them.
This wasn't an already existing feature?
Apple is bringing the Voice Memos app from the iPhone, iPad, and Mac so users can record voice memos from their wrist.
That's quite useful, but shouldn't you already be able to do this via Siri?

I think the iPad as second monitor feature is probably the coolest feature, besides swype which should have already been implemented years ago. My iPhone friend actually commented about it recently when he saw me use it, I thought he would just have to enable it in settings.