The new way TV shows are being pirated in South Africa

Hanno Labuschagne

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator
The new way TV shows are being pirated in South Africa

Piracy surged during the COVID-19 pandemic, according to Internet piracy authority Muso and South African ISPs.

The manner in which illegal content is consumed and accessed has evolved, however, with a major move towards streaming instead of downloads.

Muso data showed that there were significant increases in film and TV piracy once the global lockdown first began, with global film piracy increasing by over 33% when comparing the last 7 days of March to the last 7 days of April.

Binary Bark

Forging
The thing that these anti poachers does not understand is: I want to watch what I want, when I want on whatever device I want to. I don't think paying for stuff is the issue but rather the making available of movies and TV series.
^^Yes

If it is not available in SA for some stupid reason I will get a copy that "fell off the back of a truck"

Cius

Executive Member
I pay for two streaming services (1 is shared, and about to share a 3rd) to try get stuff. While it kind of covers my series needs (not really though) I find the likes of showmax and neflix terrible for movies. So that would be the main area I find myself frustrated in. That being said pirating is not as easy as it used to be. Sounds like websites go down all the time or change address and then fakes pop up with malware. Takes a surprising amount of effort to keep track of your favourite torrenting site's. I kinda gave up on that a while back.

B-1

The thing that these anti poachers does not under stand is: I want to watch what I want, when I want on whatever devise I want to. I don't think paying for stuff is not the issue but rather the making available of movies and tv series.
Just give me everything I want to watch on legal streaming services.. I would happily pay for and use multiple streaming services if I can watch all movies and series I want to watch..

Its the content producers and distributors that make all these rules. If you want to distribute content from the big boys you get a long list of conditions on how and where you can allow clients to use that content. Its the same path PC games took. At one point people would buy a game and then download the pirate copy cause its less hassle just to get playing.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Our downloaded content is minimal. We pay for Netflix and Hulu/Disney+/ESPN, plus a smart dns service which also gives us access to UK streaming.

We've got access to DSTV/Showmax through the in-laws but rarely use it because they don't have a Roku app.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Our downloaded content is minimal. We pay for Netflix and Hulu/Disney+/ESPN, plus a smart dns service which also gives us access to UK streaming.

We've got access to DSTV/Showmax through the in-laws but rarely use it because they don't have a Roku app.
The lack of Roku app was what forced me to give up on DSTV many years ago. Sadly it seems as awesome as the Roku is, it would never be considered for development by a smaller company like Multichoice.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
The lack of Roku app was what forced me to give up on DSTV many years ago. Sadly it seems as awesome as the Roku is, it would never be considered for development by a smaller company like Multichoice.
I don't really mind. There's little on DStV/Showmax to interest me - if there is I still have a Chromecast and a LIT box (somewhere).

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I pay for two streaming services (1 is shared, and about to share a 3rd) to try get stuff. While it kind of covers my series needs (not really though) I find the likes of showmax and neflix terrible for movies. So that would be the main area I find myself frustrated in. That being said pirating is not as easy as it used to be. Sounds like websites go down all the time or change address and then fakes pop up with malware. Takes a surprising amount of effort to keep track of your favourite torrenting site's. I kinda gave up on that a while back.
I also tried really hard to get the content in the most legal and convenient way.
It gets really frustrating though when you subscribe to 4 streaming services and everything you want to watch is either region locked or just not easily available.

After abandoning all my old pirating ways I wanted to find a few movies for my daughter and couldn't get them anywhere as they were on Disney Plus which is not available in SA. I looked at the DVD shops and they were also scarce or way overpriced.
I asked around and found a good torrent site which had everything for free at blueray quality... and pretty much everything else I had been looking for that was unavailable on the streaming platforms.

*sigh*

WAslayer

Executive Member
Its the content producers and distributors that make all these rules. If you want to distribute content from the big boys you get a long list of conditions on how and where you can allow clients to use that content. Its the same path PC games took. At one point people would buy a game and then download the pirate copy cause its less hassle just to get playing.
I am aware they are the issue.. maybe some day they will change their old ways..

konfab

Honorary Master

So rather than being a pirate you are a smuggler.

WAslayer

Executive Member
Yeah - maybe they'll stop liking money.
No, they won't.. but maybe they will realise there would be less piracy and more money their pockets by being less restrictive and allowing streaming services to show their content in more regions..

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
No, they won't.. but maybe they will realise there would be less piracy and more money their pockets by being less restrictive and allowing streaming services to show their content in more regions..
They make more money by selling the exclusive rights to companies like DSTV.

konfab

Honorary Master
This comic sums up my entire stance on piracy.

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones