The next Galaxy Fold will fold twice - Report

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator

Korean website The Bell has published a leak claiming that Samsung is working on two new foldable smartphone designs which will be able to fold twice.

According to the leak, the two new designs are called the G-type and the S-type, both of which are rumoured to be larger than the current 7.3-inch Galaxy Fold when completely unfolded.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
So the first one failed horribly before launch and now they want to launch more....

Sl8er

Executive Member
Unless someone tries and fails, technology will become stagnant and go nowhere.
We need these types of failures in order to progress and improve AND figure out what works and what doesn't.

So: Well done samsung!
Keep at it...and fail miserably, if you must, but keep at it.

Swa

Honorary Master
Unless someone tries and fails, technology will become stagnant and go nowhere.
We need these types of failures in order to progress and improve AND figure out what works and what doesn't.

So: Well done samsung!
Keep at it...and fail miserably, if you must, but keep at it.
Usually failures happen in the lab and you don't release them to the public. Where was Samsung's quality control?

Sl8er

Executive Member
Usually failures happen in the lab and you don't release them to the public. Where was Samsung's quality control?
Heck, some phones can't even be made properly in this day and age on existing tech.
(Bending chassis, antenna issues, exploding batteries, etc, etc.)

This fold-thing is new, so there will naturally be problems -no matter how "ready" they think they are.
The point is, there can't be a 2nd, 3rd or 4th generation if there is no 1st.
And of course this isn't something everyone is going to go out and get right now, but if the tech turns out to be practical, who knows
what it'll look like in a few years.

Looney

Expert Member
Heck, some phones can't even be made properly in this day and age on existing tech.
(Bending chassis, antenna issues, exploding batteries, etc, etc.)

This fold-thing is new, so there will naturally be problems -no matter how "ready" they think they are.
The point is, there can't be a 2nd, 3rd or 4th generation if there is no 1st.
And of course this isn't something everyone is going to go out and get right now, but if the tech turns out to be practical, who knows
what it'll look like in a few years.
So consumers should then just accept spending a crapload of money on a phone that will break within 2 days because it’s a 1st gen product?

Nah I don’t agree hey, at least make sure the product works as advertised.

Swa

Honorary Master
So consumers should then just accept spending a crapload of money on a phone that will break within 2 days because it’s a 1st gen product?

Exactly. The 1st generation doesn't have to be the one sold to the public.

Looney

Expert Member
Exactly. The 1st generation doesn't have to be the one sold to the public.
Or how about the 1st generation just work as advertised? Don’t know what’s so difficult about that. How can you release a product that doesn’t do what it’s advertised to do, 1st gen or not.

Sl8er

Executive Member

...And of course this isn't something everyone is going to go out and get right now, but...
Your "normal" consumer isn't going to spend $2000 on "cutting edge" new tech -or most new tech, for that matter.
Right now, this is geared for tech heads, I reckon. (Y'know, the guys who always have to have the latest and greatest, no matter what.)
Give it a few generations, we'll probably see some major improvements and reductions in price (assuming the tech actually becomes a thing).

Now, does this excuse what seems like a monumental failure right now? Of course not...but I'd rather see a company
try new stuff -tangibly "new", not a slightly faster processor or slightly better screen- than try and sue the pants off of their competition *cough*, all the time.

I keep downplaying the $2000 cost, because this is not something I'm going to go out and spend my money on, but I'm thankful
to those who might. (insert thumbsuck percentage here) now, know full well what they're going to get. There's only so much lab-testing one can do, the best is when it's out in real world.
Is that a bit dodgy and cringe (real world guinea pigs), probably, but I'm more focused on the advent of the introduction of the tech.
Who doesn't want a phone that doubles as a tablet, at a reasonable price in the near future? :)

EDIT: As an side, I don't disagree with your post. I just want to see the tech develop...but it has to start somewhere -as crappy as this start is.

Last edited:

ekske1

Executive Member

Korean website The Bell has published a leak claiming that Samsung is working on two new foldable smartphone designs which will be able to fold twice.

According to the leak, the two new designs are called the G-type and the S-type, both of which are rumoured to be larger than the current 7.3-inch Galaxy Fold when completely unfolded.
Oh wow. Magic, but next one after that will fold thrice?