The Nissan GT-R Thread

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Nissan celebrates Godzilla with GT-R 50th Anniversary Edition

What's it like to drive?

Admittedly my first time driving this special edition of the GT-R wasn't long enough to form a proper opinion. I tried a few launch control starts and what struck me is how brutal and mechanical they felt. By switching the engine, suspension settings to full 'R' mode.

Compared to newer high-performance cars, the GT-R doesn't feel that quick behind the wheel and the claimed sub 3-second 0-100km/h time feels as fake as a loan-shark's smile. Perhaps at the coast it would feel a lot faster.

But what the GT-R can do is incredibly well is corner at high speed. It defies physics with its ability to tackle a corner with supreme grip and unfailing confidence, but be warned... it takes commitment from the driver to know what this car is capable of around bends.

The steering initially felt subdued but weights up nicely once the revs climb and the speed increases.

So, while I didn't have as much time as I would've liked in the latest version of the GT-R, it shows how far modern performance cars have caught up and surpassed Godzilla.

I'd love some more time with it, if and when we get it on test. But the one take away from the launch and my first time driving a GT-R is how it carries speed through corners. I'm hoping it's not my last time driving this piece of automotive history.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
DRIVEN: Nissan GT-R 50th Anniversary Edition

Nissan South Africa expects to have access to around 36 units of the limited-edition 50th Anniversary Edition GT-R, all of which will need to be ordered before the end of 2019. While I think it’s admirable the R35 GT-R keeps defying the odds by taking the fight to its (often more glamorously badged) rivals, new and old, one can’t help but feel that, especially finished in its special blue paint, this is as good as it gets for the aging Nissan. With no (standard) additional power offered, and, specifically, no new Nordschleife lap record to mark the occasion, the GT-R is now relying extremely heavily on reputation to justify its modern-day price point – especially once you consider what else is currently offered for this kind of money.

FAST FACTS

Model: Nissan GT-R 50th Anniversary Edition
Price: R2 415 000 (for Bayside Blue)
Engine: 3,8-litre, V6, twin-turbocharged
Power: 408 kW @ 6 400 r/min
Torque: 632 N.m @ 3 200 - 5 800 r/min
0-100 km/h: 2,9 seconds
Top Speed: 315 km/h
Fuel Consumption: 11,7 L/100 km
CO2: 275 g/km
Transmission: Six-speed dual clutch
Service Plan: Three-year/50 000 km

GTR2.jpg895531579_1.jpgGTR4.jpgGTR3.jpg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Nissan GT-R 50th Anniversary Edition (2019) Launch Review

Final thoughts

The GT-R’s rich heritage is something Nissan is extremely proud of – and so it should be. However, there’s no denying that the GT-R is now old-school and heavy compared with more modern supercars. As it stands, Nissan has yet to decide the engineering direction for the next-generation GT-R. Electric and hybrid supercars are de rigueur so there's a chance that future iterations of the iconic supercar will be very different to this one.

With a price tag of comfortably over R2 million, value for money is a somewhat moot point. There are several supercars that cost much more than the GT-R, but, as time ticks by, it becomes harder to justify that 2-bar-plus outlay against the backdrop of a rapidly changing supercar landscape. Having said all that, I remain confident that each and every 1 of the 36 units allocated for our market will find wholly satisfied owners.

We can’t wait to see what the future of the GT-R holds…

FiestaST

Honorary Master
2020 Nissan GT-R driven: King of the Monsters returns for battle

It’s astounding how quickly you get up to speed while keeping an eye on the rev counter pointing straight at your face. Noticeable too is how quiet the cockpit is relative to the speed over various tarred surfaces.

Launch control is done simply by planting your left foot on the brake, flooring the accelerator till it hits 4000rpm and letting go. Just as you begin to wonder whether you’ve done something wrong, a slight tyre squeal snaps your head back and the GT-R does what it’s famous for, careering down the tarmac in a howl of exhaust note and the auto box changing just in time before it redlines. Heading in to a bend at speed you get to appreciate how well balanced the car is with its gearbox behind you and the V6 upfront combining for almost perfect weight distribution.

Even at speeds that your head says shouldn’t be possible it stays true without a hint of things getting out of hand. Heading back to Pretoria at the speed limit, it’s almost an insult to the engine to be idling along behind the mundane.

This GT-R cries out to be thrashed to the limit and is everything that a GT-R should be.

powermzii

Expert Member
Yes this car is old
Yes its not the most refined
Yes it looks dated

But i still get goosebumps when i see on on the streets... Long Live Godzilla!!

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Nissan celebrates 50 years of the GT-R

Nissan's iconic GT-R nameplate turned 50 years old recently and to celebrate, Nissan South Africa brought together most of the current car's predecessors. And, of course, there's that special 50th anniversary edition we recently drove, too!
We can perhaps thank Sony and its smash-hit Gran Turismo series of console games for the worldwide fame that the GT-R continues to enjoy. Of course, appearances in cult films such as those of the Fast 'n Furious franchise have helped too, but above all the GT-R's iconic status was born on the racetracks of Japan.

The GT-R arrived in 1968, when the so-called PGC10 version made its first debut at the Tokyo Motor Show, originally as a 4-door sedan. The more famous KPGC10 (2-door coupe), followed in March 1971. It is the latter that featured in Episode 3 of our SentiMETAL video series, with Freek de Kock from Bothaville being the proud owner.

GT-R_50-4015.jpgGT-R_50-4022.jpgGroup Shot 3.jpgGroup Shot 4.jpg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
2020 Nissan GT-R 50th Anniversary Edition vs R34 Skyline GT-R V-Spec - TheStraightPipes