The Notebook Company alters ads at Dell’s demand

LeonP

Over the years we've bought and rented quite a few notebooks from the Notebook Company, and the service is always excellent. We bought 2 Dells (not from them) and had issues with both, now it is company policy NOT to buy Dell

Fader4

Expert Member
Over the years we've bought and rented quite a few notebooks from the Notebook Company, and the service is always excellent. We bought 2 Dells (not from them) and had issues with both, now it is company policy NOT to buy Dell
Good policy :D

Beri

Expert Member
I have a dell and if something goes wrong you phone the support number you end up speaking to Paddy from irland and you cannot understand a word he is saying.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Sounds like they need to start selling a different brand of laptop. I suggest HP.

Glide

HP really?

Not sure if HP would be the best suggestion due to the recent HP news

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904787404576535211589514334.html
http://slashdot.org/index2.pl?fhfilter=HP
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14584428

If you read the above links, this does not sound like a company that knows what to do any more IMHO.
I've had about 8 HP's for our company and ALL gave us hell. The worst part. Almost each laptop needed to be serviced at a different location due to one being a Compaq HP this and the other being a HP that. One laptop they sent to JHB and kept it for 4 months. They told us to extend the warranty or they would not fix it. We had 2 months left on the warranty and hence I felt that they had taken to long to repair.
In the mean time we got Dell's, we have had a couple of problems with Dell but the best part, you call them, speak to a Indian lady or gent or Irish person and usually if its really a problem they send out a part (and if your still under warranty - which i always am due to purchasing 3 years or more each time), they also get a local tech to install it at your home or work. I mean why would I want to run back to Rectron, Frontosa, Pinnacle, Computer Mania, Incredible C or some random repair people that HP/Acer have chosen for a certain model / range (things might have changed since I last owned HP).
I've even been told by HP and Acer to go to place X and then get there and get told ... no no we don't do the range Y any more ... you need to go to Z.
Anyway I definitely know that Dell are not perfect. Infact lately I feel them distancing themselves from customers. They seem to have one of the worst call centres IMHO, telephone menu's are not always clear or working. Replacing a server raid card can be a pain, but usually the job gets done if your serious enough (although it should be easier that it is).

Oh well. Each to our own I guess.

I'm picking dell for laptops/notebooks and servers, but I'm certainly not picking them for desktops, monitors, phones/tablets or other.

Last edited:

saffakanera

Expert Member
Never had any issues with HP Servers, we have about 40 380 G7s and HP SLA has always been 4 hours.

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
Never had any issues with HP Servers, we have about 40 380 G7s and HP SLA has always been 4 hours.
Ja, the SLA might have something to do with that.

I've only ever had **** service from HP. The only reason I still buy their printers is because they never break. If one needed a service I'd go to a third party even if it was still under guarantee. And I'm not talking about consumer grade Incredible Connection desktops, I mean corporate grade laptops and desktops.

I'll never buy HP again. Lenovo all the way.

I won't touch Dell either. Too difficult to find their stuff at a competitive price.

Last edited:

Glide

Good points above, but servers are a different kettle of fish; IMHO.

I'm pretty sure each brand takes them more seriously than desktops, laptops and printers (at least, I hope they do). Server stability / durability is pretty critical for those of us that spend that sort of money, never mind the brand trust created between them and the admins. I've never used anything other than custom built gigabyte desktops for small internal server usage and medium to massive dell servers. They are probably over-priced but, I like them so far.

Regarding custom build gigabyte boxes with software/hardware raid: Even though they don't come with fancy stuff like "server management software", redundant power suppliers etc. they can run for years if setup and backed up correctly. Can be a big cost saving if you don't need much more. For small to medium company they are a serious consideration. Especially with the power of cpu's nowdays, XEN (virtualization), RAM size and price, SATA drives. Always find it sick when small companies are told. "Your going to need a R50 000 [insert brand here] monster server for your email and proxy server." Not to mention the usual Windows server costs the come with it, when the linux stuff is free.....

Guess I've heard some good things about each and every server brand so far. SLA's might have something to do with it as you mentioned above. Or just that few server admins stick with brands they don't like for long. Plus linux server just work when installed correctly....

Other things to consider for laptops that get me annoyed.

How much bloatware does it come with. Lenovo (last I checked) came with tons. Another point: does the laptop come with a restore CD/DVD (sucky) or a proper Windows 7 install CD/DVD (home, business, pro / ultimate). If your a ubuntu / OSx person then this will never be a issue for you.
Dell is no saint here either, but they usually give you the proper Windows 7 CD/DVD and hence if you know how to install a fresh Windows 7 (how can one not with the simplicity of Windows 7's installer) then your bloatware is gone (unless its at a OS level like Internet Explorer :) ). The last Lenovo laptop I got had a restore CD/DVD (which I had to burn myself); same for HP. If you forget to burn that CD/DVD set then you need to call them and pay for your OS/bloated thing to be shipped to you. They can take ages to restore, can be confusing to newbies (how does this DVD work / boot etc), get lost more easily in a collection of blank discs. Are prone to error on creation (that if the user ever actually creates them, I can just imagine how many times people have tried to reinstall that laptops and then discovered they were meant to burn restore CD'S/DVD's before hand).

My biggest annoyance with dell lately is the call centre menu and that annoying menu voice, the lack of driver updates for a gaming graphics card on notebooks (they never seem to keep up with Nvidia driver releases for the laptops I purchase from what I can tell). I could be wrong and its possible that Nvidia releases are sometimes mainly for desktop cards and hence dell don't repackage a notebook drivers as it has no beneficial features for that notebook.... not sure.
Dell DVD drives also suck (in my experience), especially those ones without the trays. I've had so many CD's and DVD's get stuck in those (Restart the laptop and press eject seems to fix it for some nutty reason).
All that said: when I've had a problem (which has been a small/negligible percent of overall Dell purchases) I just call them while under 3-4 year warranty and someone comes the next day and replaces the mobo,gfx card, display panel, DVD drive or whatever.... no quibble.

Don't get me started on printers. Especially MFP: are there any out there that actually work 100% properly? Don't have ink/toner replacement costs that make you squirm inside? Actually scan without some 3rd party software to help them over a network? Come with drivers that don't bloatup and take control of your OS? etc etc.

Sigh.

Glide

oh that was longer than I expected.... :( sorry....

This article was meant to be about dell + "The notebook company". Lost track somewhere.

Regarding the forum topic: "Dell logos replaced with “Dell PartnerDirect Registered” images to comply with legal demands"

Petty move from Dell, IMHO. Then again I've never understood their master plan RE partners and such.

Electron1

Expert Member
It does seem petty from Dell, why can a retailer not use a plain Dell logo, along with the logos of other brands they stock?

As far as quality and support of Dell products, the call centre can be annoying - they first verify ownership for corporate equipment registered on their database (good thing to keep theft down) and then will stick to a script to narrow down the problem - irritating if you have already determined the problem, however they do their best to resolve an issue. Can't say the same for HP support.

In 10 years at a corporate that standardised on Dell and HP laptops,desktops and servers, and then working with some small businesses that have Dell kit, their failure rate has been quite low and their build quality is good. Support has always been consistent and reliable too.

devilfp

Good points above. Notebooks & desktops are different from servers and despite HP & Dell as one of the biggest suppliers of such, their after services still sucks!

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Buy a Dell, burn in hell. Marry Adelle and you life is.... oh wait, if my wife reads this I'm dead :p

DellLaptop.co.za vs Laptop.co.za/Dell

What was omitted in the article too was that the notebook company had to stop using www.DellLaptop.co.za to promote Dell Laptops - But could continue to use www.Laptop.co.za/Dell

A customer of The Notebook Company also made a good point that the Dell Partner Logo now showing on the site - is in the wrong context.
:erm: