The Official 3G Iphone Thread

Dovi

Expert Member
Spoke to an owner at one of the Vodashops today and he said that September's been confirmed by management as the month but an exact date hasn't been announced nor has price or plans. He reckons it'll be towards the end of September as opposed to the beginning though because Vodacom normally gives the shops a few weeks warning before delivering handsets.

masticore

wow surprised that it's still not out.

I'm not. The 3G iphone is experiencing serious connectivity problems in the US & Europe.

Considering the amount of flack that Apple is taking, I'd wait until all the problems have been ironed out. I suspect Vodacom may be waiting for Apple to sort its sh*t out before launching the iPhone here.

Ref:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/21/iphone_class_action/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/20/iphone_new_version/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/13/iphone_not_very_3g/

SkyMatix

Aaaaaaargh! The waiting is killing me. Rendier, your offerings are starting to look more and more attractive with each day that goes by.

Bl00dy Vodacom. Pull your finger and let's have it already. I'd much rather have a crappy iPhone 3G so I can complain about its lack of features and many bugs, than sit here and complain about not having one! :)

gnomez

ok, so im thinking of getting an Apple iphone 16gb. i currently have a nokia n95 8gb.
worth selling the n95 and getting the iphone ?

SkyMatix

What would you get in the iPhone that you don't already have in the Nokia?

- Touch screen
- 8gb more space
- A sleeker, much prettier phone

BUT, you'll also be getting a dodgy text input system if you believe all the reviews. And the 3G side of things might be pretty slow. Not to mention the fact that you can't get one through Vodacom yet.

Are you unhappy with your N95? If not really, rather hang onto it for the time being, would be my advice.

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Aaaaaaargh! The waiting is killing me. Rendier, your offerings are starting to look more and more attractive with each day that goes by.

Bl00dy Vodacom. Pull your finger and let's have it already. I'd much rather have a crappy iPhone 3G so I can complain about its lack of features and many bugs, than sit here and complain about not having one! :)

I popped into Cellucity in Tygervalley and the said they would have the iPhone by end of September. No word however on contracts and costs.

I popped into Cellucity in Tygervalley and the said they would have the iPhone by end of September. No word however on contracts and costs.

And a Vodacom store at the Waterfront told me "probably October and definately by the end of the year"
Then at Sandton City they said "First week of September"

So I think they are all just guessing and we just have to wait

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
And a Vodacom store at the Waterfront told me "probably October and definately by the end of the year"
Then at Sandton City they said "First week of September"

So I think they are all just guessing and we just have to wait

They have gone as far as advertising it in their latest brochure, but yes until the official date had been announced it's wait and see.

What would you get in the iPhone that you don't already have in the Nokia?

- Touch screen
- 8gb more space
- A sleeker, much prettier phone

BUT, you'll also be getting a dodgy text input system if you believe all the reviews. And the 3G side of things might be pretty slow. Not to mention the fact that you can't get one through Vodacom yet.

Are you unhappy with your N95? If not really, rather hang onto it for the time being, would be my advice.
In most other places Apple has it locked, but they can't do it here. I wonder if that is causing a delay. I'm not impressed at the exclusivity deal that's coming. Why can't MTN or CellC sell it?

jdysolomons

spoke to a guy at a vodacom 2day in pietermaritzburg and he said they going on training monday for 2 weeks to learn the phone it will be out middle september? how much lies must we hear................lol

cyberarmy

Expert Member
In most other places Apple has it locked, but they can't do it here. I wonder if that is causing a delay. I'm not impressed at the exclusivity deal that's coming. Why can't MTN or CellC sell it?

Not locked in AUZ? Seems like 3G Iphone (not locked) from Australia is hitting the HK market with low prices.

Dovi

Expert Member

MTN and Cell C potentially could sell it if they signed a deal with Apple, although Vodacom might have a time period of exclusivity in their contract - who knows? Vodacom was just first to get the deal (thanks to Vodafone of course). In certain countries not only is the handset not network locked, but it is offered by multiple carriers.

Rendier

Expert Member
Hey Guys.

Got new Stock on Friday. Price has dropped due to the iPhone being available all over the US so getting a better deal.

Got 5 iPhone 3G's in stock.

Price is R7500.

Thanks