The official Mikrotik router thread

LandyMan

Honorary Master
I tried SFQ, but unfortunately it caused a lot of bufferbloat on my upload. After doing a bit more research, it looks like Cake should handle this use case, while still minimising bufferbloat. But from my personal experience using it, fq_codel easily outperforms cake by 30-50ms.

I might be configuring it incorrectly - I know the queue speed has to be set on the queue type and not the simple queue config.
Also setup up SFQ, but as soon as a download is kicked off, I am seeing ping spikes and packet drops on other devices in the network. So that one download is still hogging all the bandwidth :(

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Also setup up SFQ, but as soon as a download is kicked off, I am seeing ping spikes and packet drops on other devices in the network. So that one download is still hogging all the bandwidth :(
If you set the Mbps limit lower, does that have any effect?

nad_isa

Hi guys. I have been trying to solve my loadshedding back up issue by trying to power my unifi APs (1 x AC-LR and 1 x nano-hd).

I read up and see that the RB4011 I have has POE out on eth10. Theoretically I should be able to power the AC-LR which is 24 volt via eth10 with the standard power adapter? How do I go about doing this?

If I then power the rb4011 with a mini ups then I should be good to go.?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Hi guys. I have been trying to solve my loadshedding back up issue by trying to power my unifi APs (1 x AC-LR and 1 x nano-hd).

I read up and see that the RB4011 I have has POE out on eth10. Theoretically I should be able to power the AC-LR which is 24 volt via eth10 with the standard power adapter? How do I go about doing this?

Easy answer…plug it in and see.

PsyWulf

Honorary Master

Just doublecheck the PoE output from the RB in this config is enough,I tried the same with a AC-LR on a 3011 and it kept bootlooping till I moved the AP to POE from the UPS directly

LandyMan

Honorary Master
I am back ladies/gents/fighter jets :)

Currently using the Mikrotik RB750 (old gen) which is only 100Mbps. Please recommend a replacement that is 1Gbps (I am looking at the MikroTik hAP ac2 Dual Band 5 Port Gigabit WiFi Router | RBD52G-5HacD2HnD-TC). Alternative suggestions are welcome.

Also, will I be able to export config from the existing one, and import into the new one (don't want to get the ISP involved to reconfigure the setup).

Thanks!

yogidabear

Currently using the Mikrotik RB750 (old gen) which is only 100Mbps. Please recommend a replacement that is 1Gbps (I am looking at the MikroTik hAP ac2 Dual Band 5 Port Gigabit WiFi Router | RBD52G-5HacD2HnD-TC). Alternative suggestions are welcome.

Also, will I be able to export config from the existing one, and import into the new one (don't want to get the ISP involved to reconfigure the setup).
Do you need the wireless, and if not just buy the new hex as its a direct Gigabit replacement.

Type "export compact" in to a terminal and it should be what you want. It names the Ethernet interface, then applies the settings. If you have a really old setup, which it sounds you do. It might set the interface to 100meg so just remove that

LandyMan

Honorary Master
I need the 2.4Ghz network for home automation (currently using a hAp lite for that feature)

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
@SauRoNZA @PsyWulf

Thanks both - got this working. Unifi AC LR now powered via port 10 of RB4011. now to simplify my loadshedding setup im looking for a mini ups that powers 24v DC (for the RB4011) and 48v POE (for my unifi NanoHD. will scour the interwebs..

These aren’t pretty but do the job.

Gizzu 60W DC 65Wh Mini UPS - Black available to buy online at @TAKEALOT We offer fast, reliable delivery to your door.

nad_isa

Hi Guys. Mikrotik noob level here. So i have a basic setup on my mikrotik. only firewall NAT rule i currently have is to allow internet traffic for my 2 subnet and a filter rule to drop traffic from one subnet to the other..

1653837645332.png

are their any links to articles/videos on good firewall rules to setup on a mikrotik router?

its been a learning curve and a half thus far but so far i have:

1. setup pppoe client for fibre connection
2. setup 2 bridges (bridge 1 = main - all ports excl WAN & eth9 , bridge 2 = secondary - eth9 (for 2nd subnet)
3. setup addresses, pools & DHCP servers for 2 subnets
4. setup NAT rules to allow internet access for 2 subnets
5. setup filter rule to drop traffic from 2nd subnet to main 1st subnet (2nd subnet is for tenant connection)
6. setup simple queue on 2nd subnet to limit download and upload speed
7. added AP to port 10 and activated POE

Anything else i need to consider?

nad_isa

These aren’t pretty but do the job.

Gizzu 60W DC 65Wh Mini UPS - Black available to buy online at @TAKEALOT We offer fast, reliable delivery to your door.
thanks. i saw this = but my understanding is that this unit you have to select 24v/48v for POE and cant power simultaneous 24v dc and 48v POE? which is what im ideally looking for.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
thanks. i saw this = but my understanding is that this unit you have to select 24v/48v for POE and cant power simultaneous 24v dc and 48v POE? which is what im ideally looking for.

Oh right I’m with you now.

Unlikely to find a single unit that does both.

Maybe need to buy two to cover both areas. 48V ones are quite rare to start with.

Peon

Expert Member
Hi Guys. Mikrotik noob level here. So i have a basic setup on my mikrotik. only firewall NAT rule i currently have is to allow internet traffic for my 2 subnet and a filter rule to drop traffic from one subnet to the other..

View attachment 1317364

are their any links to articles/videos on good firewall rules to setup on a mikrotik router?

its been a learning curve and a half thus far but so far i have:

1. setup pppoe client for fibre connection
2. setup 2 bridges (bridge 1 = main - all ports excl WAN & eth9 , bridge 2 = secondary - eth9 (for 2nd subnet)
3. setup addresses, pools & DHCP servers for 2 subnets
4. setup NAT rules to allow internet access for 2 subnets
5. setup filter rule to drop traffic from 2nd subnet to main 1st subnet (2nd subnet is for tenant connection)
6. setup simple queue on 2nd subnet to limit download and upload speed
7. added AP to port 10 and activated POE

Anything else i need to consider?
How does your filter rules tab look?