The official OpenWRT router thread

What routers do you use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Running OpenWRT on a Cudy x6 V2 and its been running like a dream for the last year, was a bit of a mission to get going even with the firmware they supply, eventually had to get an updated file from them, but pretty happy with it so far.

The Default Cudy router had so little features and such a clunky interface i couldn't bear it

I've put OpenWRT on x86 but its not always cheap.
I saw this and it looks OK. 4 ports under R2K. Anyone ever tried this brand. Never heard of it before.

Id give it another year or two to see if someone can figure out the hardware as it doesn't seem to have any open source support anywhere and Rockchip isn't exactly known for documentation and assisting the open source community.

They're looking to have their own official router.

They're looking to have their own official router.
Is this a special Banana Pi?

I'm going to try it with one of these beauties: Intel Celeron J4125 CPU @ 2.00GHz, 2596 MHz, 4096 KB cache, 4 cores, AES, RAM DDR3L 2596MHz 4GB, 4 x Intel 82583V GbE LAN, mSATA, 2 x external USB, 2 x internal USB, VGA, RJ45 Console, 12V DC 60W, CPU and system fan, M.2 supports 5G PCIe supports 4G/Wi-Fi modules, Internal SIM slot,
Should chug along nicely!

IMG_20240111_160555_HDR.jpg

I'm going to try it with one of these beauties: Intel Celeron J4125 CPU @ 2.00GHz, 2596 MHz, 4096 KB cache, 4 cores, AES, RAM DDR3L 2596MHz 4GB, 4 x Intel 82583V GbE LAN, mSATA, 2 x external USB, 2 x internal USB, VGA, RJ45 Console, 12V DC 60W, CPU and system fan, M.2 supports 5G PCIe supports 4G/Wi-Fi modules, Internal SIM slot,
Should chug along nicely!

View attachment 1644489
This runs decent - would be the best gaming router available - I loaded fq_codel / CAKE

Nothing on 2 of the cores and 28% and 21% on the other 2. I have 200mbs.
I really want to try out a NanoPi or Banana Pi at some point, the top of the range NanoPi only uses 3w at idle, 5w at 2.5Gbps and it does SQM at 1400Mbps.

Installed wireguard via luci-proto-wireguard.

Took a while to figure it out but now its up and running. Neat.

I set up a Wireguard config for Cloudflare Warp probably a year ago for when the sharks attack again.

I have wireguard as VPN server but also use warp for testing. Warp connects without DNS.

Running OpenWRT on a Cudy x6 V2 and its been running like a dream for the last year, was a bit of a mission to get going even with the firmware they supply, eventually had to get an updated file from them, but pretty happy with it so far.

The Default Cudy router had so little features and such a clunky interface i couldn't bear it
Have you contacted them via support?

I received the AP1300 outdoor unit yesterday, but there is no image yet to disable the signature protection.

The device seems to be a good alternative to the Unifi Mesh or TP-Link EAP255

Have you contacted them via support?

I received the AP1300 outdoor unit yesterday, but there is no image yet to disable the signature protection.

The device seems to be a good alternative to the Unifi Mesh or TP-Link EAP255

Yes I contacted them via support and they were very helpful with the firmware and quite willing to help, so that solved all the issues I've been having. Not had a single issue since loading OpenWRT on the device

Yes I contacted them via support and they were very helpful with the firmware and quite willing to help, so that solved all the issues I've been having. Not had a single issue since loading OpenWRT on the device
I also received a reply to my email, which was quite a surprise. Unfortunately, my request was probably a bit premature as they have not yet officially endorsed OpenWrt as an alternative for the outdoor AP1300.

I replaced my Xiaomi 4A mesh node with an X6 v2 this week and the performance is better according to the family (I think the Xiaomi had one too many drop tests :laugh:). I see that the X6 can be mounted which is another plus... unlike the Xiaomi.

Back