The official running thread™

AlmightyBender

Executive Member
For me the biggest impact of people using music in a race setting is that they can't hear intentions from faster runners coming up behind them, which causes frustration and even collisions. So if you are gonna use them.. be VINNIG! :ROFL:
Official reason given is so that you can follow instructions from marshals.

wise_guy

Expert Member
Anyone catch the hoo haa being made over the disqualification of the Zim runner at the Durban International?

It's turning into a schit show :ROFL:
Rules are clear but if his pack only had one temp license and they said its fine you can run with it then they assumed he was a runner not qualifying for prize money.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
The rule is applied for all marathons but I always see plenty ipods on display. It's more advice that rule.
Some conceal them under a buff which doubles up nicely as a sweat band.

Go for it.

Just be careful. Runners were being pulled off the road by marshals for wearing earphones at Two Oceans. So while some races may turn a blind eye, others certainly don't. You don't want to run a marathon, only to cross the finish line to find out you've been disqualified.

wise_guy

Expert Member
Just be careful. Runners were being pulled off the road by marshals for wearing earphones at Two Oceans. So while some races may turn a blind eye, others certainly don't. You don't want to run a marathon, only to cross the finish line to find out you've been disqualified.
The adrenaline rush of being chased by a marshall will be make me run faster.

I need that PB.

wise_guy

Expert Member
Would any of you be interested in doing a superbru type thing in opening post.

All active runners can post their 5k pb's and @Steamy Tom can list it. In fact any distance can be done.

Will help keep this thread active.

Everything will depend on Tom of course.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Would any of you be interested in doing a superbru type thing in opening post.

All active runners can post their 5k pb's and @Steamy Tom can list it. In fact any distance can be done.

Will help keep this thread active.

Everything will depend on Tom of course.

Happy to do so. I have been kinda inactive in the thread for a while but still following, I am on a new training plan now and trying to reach my previous PB again. I will clear out all my old logs and start tracking 5k PBs in that post no issue

AlmightyBender

Executive Member
Happy to do so. I have been kinda inactive in the thread for a while but still following, I am on a new training plan now and trying to reach my previous PB again. I will clear out all my old logs and start tracking 5k PBs in that post no issue
Ok cool I'm keen to partake as well :)

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Ok cool I'm keen to partake as well :)

whats your PBs?

@wise_guy any specific sort of format etc you had in mind? Are we only tracking 5k? I think its probably one we can mostly all relate to at least.

I think we should maybe do some basic data fields though at least, like

5km - time - date
10km - time - date
15km - time - date
21km - time - date
42km - time - date
??

Do we want to include progress info, like a view of how long it took to beat your PB with old date and time?

AlmightyBender

Executive Member
whats your PBs?

@wise_guy any specific sort of format etc you had in mind? Are we only tracking 5k? I think its probably one we can mostly all relate to at least.

5km - time - date
10km - time - date
15km - time - date
21km - time - date
42km - time - date
??

Do we want to include progress info, like a view of how long it took to beat your PB with old date and time?
1652430247642.png
Yeah maybe for each PB beaten you can just write another line under their username. Okes like me are gonna have new PB's frequently but some of the more experienced homies are gonna have one line ;)

ab-user

Expert Member
View attachment 1307916
Yeah maybe for each PB beaten you can just write another line under their username. Okes like me are gonna have new PB's frequently but some of the more experienced homies are gonna have one line ;)

No a fair game for us “old toppies”.
Think PBs should be per 5 year age category, so we can track the slide to the walker with ease

wise_guy

Expert Member
whats your PBs?

5km - time - date
10km - time - date
15km - time - date
21km - time - date
42km - time - date
??

For now let's keep it super simple and just do 5k and the time.
Once everyone is on board we can tweak/expand data as required.

Can even do 3k for beginners to latch on to something attainable.

PB for 5k - 29 Jan 2022 IMG_20220513_111550.jpg

Last edited:

wise_guy

Expert Member
No a fair game for us “old toppies”.
Think PBs should be per 5 year age category, so we can track the slide to the walker with ease
I'm also old and slow. This would be for personal motivation/goals. We want to avoid competing and comparing with the young uns.

If you walk the 5k in 45min thats a major accomplishment because you've walked 5km.

AlmightyBender

Executive Member
I'm also old and slow. This would be for personal motivation/goals. We want to avoid competing and comparing with the young uns.

If you walk the 5k in 45min thats a major accomplishment because you've walked 5km.
This, we all in this together and I've only ever seen positivity and support from this thread. I think it would be rewarding for anyone

Jehosefat

Expert Member
All time 5k PB 22:26
This year 5k PB 25:57

Haven't done any 5km time trials in the last 12 months hence this years PB being well slower than my all time best. Think my current fitness would probably only get me to a 24:30 - 25:00 5k though.

ab-user

Expert Member

All true, however the mind is still 18, although the body carries quite a few additional decades.
Luckily I'm still far away from walking, but I do not have notion to compete with my younger / faster / fitter self.

So, my PBs are written in the past, and I am fine with that. What would a PB at 18 or 28 be worth if you can beat it ~30 years later on.

Do I want to compete (against my *current* self)? YES - hence the the reference to age categories. So, maybe make the PB over distance "brag" more a case of your bests time over a distance in the past few year (5?)

Because then my PBs for
1/2 marathon goes from sub 1:45 to not applicable, and my;
10km from 47ish to only just sub 60, and my;
5km from 22:34 to barely sub 25

No point in referring to 2.4km, 5km and 8km PBs attained in the army or at school, when those times will be hardly attainable 2 or 4 decades later

The older I get the faster I was

wise_guy

Expert Member
All time 5k PB 22:26
This year 5k PB 25:57

Haven't done any 5km time trials in the last 12 months hence this years PB being well slower than my all time best. Think my current fitness would probably only get me to a 24:30 - 25:00 5k though.
Good point you raised.

Someone who scored a sub 20min ten years ago will most likely never achieve it again, so we should focus from only 2022.

Everyone should go out tomorrow and do a 3km and post it here. Will be a starting point at least.

Use this app to map out an easy course and use phone stopwatch.

wise_guy

Expert Member
All true, however the mind is still 18, although the body carries quite a few additional decades.
Luckily I'm still far away from walking, but I do not have notion to compete with my younger / faster / fitter self.

So, my PBs are written in the past, and I am fine with that. What would a PB at 18 or 28 be worth if you can beat it ~30 years later on.

Do I want to compete (against my *current* self)? YES - hence the the reference to age categories. So, maybe make the PB over distance "brag" more a case of your bests time over a distance in the past few year (5?)

Because then my PBs for
1/2 marathon goes from sub 1:45 to not applicable, and my;
10km from 47ish to only just sub 60, and my;
5km from 22:34 to barely sub 25

No point in referring to 2.4km, 5km and 8km PBs attained in the army or at school, when those times will be hardly attainable 2 or 4 decades later

The older I get the faster I was
Lets look at 2022 times and take it from there or even current.
So your run today is your is your PB.

Last edited:

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
I have edited the 1st post to start tracking the initial data, we can adjust as we agree format and start ranking it etc