The official supersonic R999 Uncapped feedback!

lowriderza

Expert Member
I'm absolutely desperate here guys. I'm sitting with a huge issue.

When load shedding hits where the tower is that i connect to ( even when I'm not down ), I cannot do anything. I cannot even make a phone call - this in itself is a huge risk for me, because if I ever had an emergency during load shedding ( at east in the areas that serve the towers i connect to ) I cannot contact anyone !

Does MTN not have battery backups on their towers ?????????????

Any ideas what my options are here. I have no access to fibre unfortunately

I managed to write this post hotspotting my wife's phone on Vodacom after moving her phone outdoors.
I have the same issue but with Telkom. Not much one can do except find a Service Provider that works for you in your area.

My experience with supersonic is limited to client's installations and all of them have issues.

William1102

try changing your band to 41, hope it helps , im getting 160mbps+ , but only 5 up on this band

Didn’t even know Mtn has spectrum in band 41

No see I already do get 120-150mbps before the issues don’t think it’s a band thing

Think it’s on band 3 when I did try band 41 did get red light but was a while ago

But I will try , installing fibre next week anyways

• Love
Reactions: Yuu

Fjorko

Expert Member
My worry is not so much the internet - I can get past that for 2 hours if i have to. My concern is that i cannot even make phone calls. If I have a heart attack or someone in my household needs emergency care, I am COMPLETELY without any means of making phone calls.

Now this means I have to carry a separate SIM or something just in case, but it should not be like this... In an emergency situation, you don't have time to swop sims etc etc.....

Bottom line is - MTN does NOT provide battery backups on some or many of their towers, and that needs to change. They indirectly ( or directly ) risk people's lives who has no access to any alternative.

Telephony/Internet access has become an essential service these days - you cannot go without it.

pkid

Expert Member
Put in my cancellation this week. Not paying for a connection I can’t use for work. Using Telkom for now, but I am hoping Rain 5G rolls out to Durban soon.

Faux_Grey

I'm absolutely desperate here guys. I'm sitting with a huge issue.

When load shedding hits where the tower is that i connect to ( even when I'm not down ), I cannot do anything. I cannot even make a phone call - this in itself is a huge risk for me, because if I ever had an emergency during load shedding ( at east in the areas that serve the towers i connect to ) I cannot contact anyone !

Does MTN not have battery backups on their towers ?????????????

Any ideas what my options are here. I have no access to fibre unfortunately

I managed to write this post hotspotting my wife's phone on Vodacom after moving her phone outdoors.
Glad to see I'm not the only chump with this problem.

I've managed to put up an antenna on one of my LTE routers, so during load shedding it gets a bar of signal from a tower what I presume to be several KM away, so at least I can wifi & whatsapp call.
This assumes that you have your own UPS to keep your stuff running, while MTN just lets their towers turn off.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member

I've managed to put up an antenna on one of my LTE routers, so during load shedding it gets a bar of signal from a tower what I presume to be several KM away, so at least I can wifi & whatsapp call.
This assumes that you have your own UPS to keep your stuff running, while MTN just lets their towers turn off.

Don't forget the types, who refresh their solar electricity batteries for free.

William1102

Try Telkom my phone always has 4G during Loadshedding, MTN dies or switches to a tower faraway

Elax

No man - get off !!! - we don't have enough bandwidth as it is ! ;)

Well it didn't last long. Constant buffering when streaming, click a link in my browser and nothing happens for a couple of seconds, ssh/git connections aborted etc.

I've cancelled online, and uncancelled my Telkom 1TB, which was supposed to switch off end of this month.

Forum Reader

Supersonic LTE has been really bad the last week or so. Paying R999 a month and can't even watch Twitch on 480p in the evenings. What's weird is that it still stays bad late into the night after 11pm so it doesn't seem like a congestion thing.

Speedtest says I'm at 15Mbps download and 2.5Mbps upload which should be fine for watching a 480p livestream. So they must be throttling Twitch which constantly buffers at 480p and now mostly doesn't even load after buffering.

Last edited:

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Touches wood: mine has been decent the last 2 weeks, upload still higher than download. Whatever the streams come down as, my Shield is at least able to present it decently. Trying to stick to HD streams, tho.

Yuu

Executive Member
Are you guys still getting the 100 mbs
In the mornings, it can reach higher . Around 2am I can get 16MB/s downloads, around 140Mbps +- though haven't seen my 200Mbps+ speeds again as reported earlier this year. Will mess about today o_O .

Fjorko

Expert Member
I get just over 60 at the moment, depending on server, but I also drop right down to sub 10 from about 8pm till after 11pm.

Also starting to think they are throttling the connections during peak time.

Unfortunately I don't have any alternative, so I'm stuck till something like Starlink lands in SA..

William1102

I get just over 60 at the moment, depending on server, but I also drop right down to sub 10 from about 8pm till after 11pm.

Also starting to think they are throttling the connections during peak time.

Unfortunately I don't have any alternative, so I'm stuck till something like Starlink lands in SA..

I usually get 120mb down and randomly drops to 1mb not sure what’s happening as I live like 300m away from the tower

Swingblade

I used to get up to 150 down. These last few months i get 70 to 80 max. Pretty sure they are throttling us but its the only service availalbe here.