The official supersonic R999 Uncapped feedback!

Fjorko

Expert Member
...so the superstar I spoke to at supersonic this afternoon told me that if the towers in my area goes down, people fail over to the tower i'm on, and that's why the speeds/latency tanks....(congestion)

I guess that excuse makes sense, but man it's sooooooo annoying.

I told the oke - you lot better get battery backups on your towers pronto, even though I know it will probably never happen.

Reactions: Yuu

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
...so the superstar I spoke to at supersonic this afternoon told me that if the towers in my area goes down, people fail over to the tower i'm on, and that's why the speeds/latency tanks....(congestion)

I guess that excuse makes sense, but man it's sooooooo annoying.

I told the oke - you lot better get battery backups on your towers pronto, even though I know it will probably never happen.

Will help if the worthless twats would stop stealing the batteries to power their stolen TV's, and other miscelanious items.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Tonight, Supersonic Fixed-LTE-A, on a B618, is buffering real bad, on the Arsenal / Liverpool game. On my R218H, with a Telkom pre-paid SIM in, it is streaming perfectly.

B-127

Cancellation submitted for 31 Dec 2021.

Until then the sim will sit on the shelf and await its fate. Goodbye SuperSonic.
giphy.gif

• Sad

cavedog

Honorary Master
I think the issues are actually MTN and not SS although they are the same company. They love to send traffic via JHB > DUR > Marseille > Amsterdam for all their international traffic.

Here I compared MTN Fixed LTE vs Afrihost Fixed LTE on MTN. Same router (Huawei B618s-65d) same tower same MTN network same signal stats very different results. MTn direct has some loss causing very slow international speeds. Local is fine. Afrihost has better routing with international traffic via WACS.

MTN Direct:

Capture_MTN_direct.jpg

Afrihost:

Capture_AfrihostFLTE.jpg

Yuu

Executive Member
Cancellation submitted for 31 Dec 2021.

Until then the sim will sit on the shelf and await its fate. Goodbye SuperSonic.
giphy.gif
Why not ask if someone wants to test their area and do a location move and they pay you in private.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
I think the issues are actually MTN and not SS although they are the same company. They love to send traffic via JHB > DUR > Marseille > Amsterdam for all their international traffic.

Here I compared MTN Fixed LTE vs Afrihost Fixed LTE on MTN. Same router (Huawei B618s-65d) same tower same MTN network same signal stats very different results. MTn direct has some loss causing very slow international speeds. Local is fine. Afrihost has better routing with international traffic via WACS.

MTN Direct:

View attachment 1198054

Afrihost:

View attachment 1198056
Whatever the reason, the result is awefully bad

B-127

Why not ask if someone wants to test their area and do a location move and they pay you in private.
I'm not sure I would want to recommend or charge anyone for this service. Good idea though... I'll see if anyone is up for a bit of torture. Maybe a rain 4g user looking for slightly greener pastures. :D

Forum Reader

Can't even use it for work this morning. It just gets worse and worse. Microsoft Teams and Outlook doesn't even start up because the connection is so bad. Switch to Vodacom and everything is fine. Got to pay R999 next month as well for something I can't use.

It used to be ok when I signed up in January. Between 10Mbps and 20Mbps and no disconnects/downtime. In the last few months the speeds/latency have got worse with 0Mbps fairly often.

B-127

Can't even use it for work this morning. It just gets worse and worse. Microsoft Teams and Outlook doesn't even start up because the connection is so bad. Switch to Vodacom and everything is fine. Got to pay R999 next month as well for something I can't use.

It used to be ok when I signed up in January. Between 10Mbps and 20Mbps and no disconnects/downtime. In the last few months the speeds/latency have got worse with 0Mbps fairly often.
Similar experience. Latency aside, it was dependable - which is clearly no longer the case. A friend of mine who uses Cell C (MTN tower) has been experiencing similar outages/low throughput. MTN vs SS who knows... probably both.

I'll stick with Telkom + Vodacom for now as they are working really well.

bef0k

I warn everyone not to deal with Supersonic when given half an opportunity. Good Karma will come my way!

Been on their case for a month with no luck. Customer support quick to respond and log a call, but no further action. No engineer in sight with case open for weeks.

LOCAL traffic: No packet loss or latency and I get full speed.
INTERNATIONAL TRAFFIC where i am trying to game at night: Significant packet loss. High latency.

The first hops to lose packets on my trace are their own. This is a primarily a problem in their own network's international segment.
It is also very likely that their upstream peering is congested. But that is their responsibility too. (Would of course not blame then for problems past that point.)

bef0k

Will move to another ISP early next year. My choices are slim as I am on MTN FNO. But clearly Supersonic cannot sort out their own house.

bef0k

My current workaround recommended on MyBB forums is to run Cloudflare Warp VPN. It means I get locally routed to CF (at Teraco I guess) and then routed internationally via their network. NO PACKET LOSS and a tiny bit lower latency. (Not more as with some other VPNs!!!)

Capture20211130_US_OVER_CFVPN.PNG

Dretastic06

I warn everyone not to deal with Supersonic when given half an opportunity. Good Karma will come my way!

Been on their case for a month with no luck. Customer support quick to respond and log a call, but no further action. No engineer in sight with case open for weeks.

LOCAL traffic: No packet loss or latency and I get full speed.
INTERNATIONAL TRAFFIC where i am trying to game at night: Significant packet loss. High latency.

The first hops to lose packets on my trace are their own. This is a primarily a problem in their own network's international segment.
It is also very likely that their upstream peering is congested. But that is their responsibility too. (Would of course not blame then for problems past that point.)
Why dont you try Afrihost LTE 5GB package? I am using them now for my gaming and latency is way lower than when i tested a buddy supersonic.

bef0k

Why dont you try Afrihost LTE 5GB package? I am using them now for my gaming and latency is way lower than when i tested a buddy supersonic.

This is an MTN LTE package, which worries me. Is the MTN LTE backbone completely different from the (MTN) Supersonic backbone?

Do you mind sharing a trace to eu.battle.net and us.battle.net from your Afrihost LTE?

Crumbl0x

This is an MTN LTE package, which worries me. Is the MTN LTE backbone completely different from the (MTN) Supersonic backbone?

Do you mind sharing a trace to eu.battle.net and us.battle.net from your Afrihost LTE?
cavedog showed on a similar thread that MTN does have some issues overall with international traffic, but a direct comparison showed that Afrihost's APN uses a much better route than Süpersonic's weird triple hop to the Netherlands, causing far less packet drops and slightly better ping.

It will probably be only marginally better though and depends on the various server locations + where you're located.

bef0k

That is why I would really like to see a tracert. To see what path it takes.
Either Afrihost is simply reselling the MTN SIM and using the MTN upstream Internet, or they are using it as a local bearer only and taking the traffic onto their own network backbone.

cavedog

Honorary Master
That is why I would really like to see a tracert. To see what path it takes.
Either Afrihost is simply reselling the MTN SIM and using the MTN upstream Internet, or they are using it as a local bearer only and taking the traffic onto their own network backbone.