The official Ubiquiti Devices Q&A Thread

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Sounds like they’ve basically installed them as gloried access points and using the wireless bridges to connect them.

So you’d need the USG behind all three and you can’t remove the Air Router as it’s the thing that connects the other two nanos to the gateway.

It’s definitely possible to do, but a bit hard to advise without every configuration.

Wisp is being dumb though not simply putting the PPPoE details onto the CPE and letting it pass it’s WAN address to the next device in line.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Need some help designing a home network for a friend. He's got constant issues with WiFi in his house, so I'm giving him 2x UBIQUITI AC LR APs.

I'm thinking of doing this setup but I have a few questions.
1.1) Do I need the TP-LINK router? It's currently configured to establish the PPPoE connection and runs as an AP which has been very unstable since it locks up regularly - all on the latest firmware. It's just a POS! :mad:
OR
1.2) Should I remove the TP-LINK router and just plug everything into the HUAWEI ONT. I'm not sure on model but I'm guessing it can do PPPoE and it has at least 4 ethernet ports from what I could see.
2.) What device should I configure as my DHCP server?
3.) Should I use the same subnet for all devices?
4.) The UPS is downstairs. How do I power the Ubiquiti AP upstairs during loadshedding? Can I do POE over the ethernet over powerline adaptors - so connect another POE injector to the UPS and powerline adaptor?
5.) Do I need to create any static default routes?
6.) Am I missing anything?

1611830347778.png

MattRoy

Need some help designing a home network for a friend. He's got constant issues with WiFi in his house, so I'm giving him 2x UBIQUITI AC LR APs.

I'm thinking of doing this setup but I have a few questions.
1.1) Do I need the TP-LINK router? It's currently configured to establish the PPPoE connection and runs as an AP which has been very unstable since it locks up regularly - all on the latest firmware. It's just a POS! :mad:
OR
1.2) Should I remove the TP-LINK router and just plug everything into the HUAWEI ONT. I'm not sure on model but I'm guessing it can do PPPoE and it has at least 4 ethernet ports from what I could see.
2.) What device should I configure as my DHCP server?
3.) Should I use the same subnet for all devices?
4.) The UPS is downstairs. How do I power the Ubiquiti AP upstairs during loadshedding? Can I do POE over the ethernet over powerline adaptors - so connect another POE injector to the UPS and powerline adaptor?
5.) Do I need to create any static default routes?
6.) Am I missing anything?

View attachment 1002160

1) I think that yes, you will need the TP-Link router. Afaik the ONT devices are typically setup in bridge mode and the end-user also shouldn't have access to manage the device (unless you can guess that password?).
2) Well that depends what is used in 1 above? Are you intending on running a Unifi Controller somewhere to manage the AC LRs?
3) I would suggest setting up a Unifi Controller instance to manage to devices.
4) I don't see how the powerline adapters would work during load shedding as they rely on the cables in your wall being energized. You best bet would be to use PoE injection via Ethernet cable and run said cable to the AP upstairs.
5) I don't think so - again if you running Ubiquiti kit then you may as well use the Controller to manage them.
6) Unifi Controller :)

Napalm2880

Expert Member
1) I think that yes, you will need the TP-Link router. Afaik the ONT devices are typically setup in bridge mode and the end-user also shouldn't have access to manage the device (unless you can guess that password?).
2) Well that depends what is used in 1 above? Are you intending on running a Unifi Controller somewhere to manage the AC LRs?
3) I would suggest setting up a Unifi Controller instance to manage to devices.
4) I don't see how the powerline adapters would work during load shedding as they rely on the cables in your wall being energized. You best bet would be to use PoE injection via Ethernet cable and run said cable to the AP upstairs.
5) I don't think so - again if you running Ubiquiti kit then you may as well use the Controller to manage them.
6) Unifi Controller :)
Thanks that makes sense, especially 4. Doh!

I was planning to set up everything with the Unifi controller on my raspberry pi and then take it away since this is a friends setup and not my own and he has no intention of fiddling with it.

Will I be able to get away with that, and if so, then I guess I'd run a DHCP server on the TP-LINK, right?

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Thanks that makes sense, especially 4. Doh!

I was planning to set up everything with the Unifi controller on my raspberry pi and then take it away since this is a friends setup and not my own and he has no intention of fiddling with it.

Will I be able to get away with that, and if so, then I guess I'd run a DHCP server on the TP-LINK, right?

Yes, the TP Link will hand out the IPs.

Don't forget to disable the WiFi function on the TP Link. That will reduce the load on that device and prevent confusion.

Also, I suggest setting up the controller on your buddy's PC rather than your RPI just in case he needs to access them.

MattRoy

Yes, the TP Link will hand out the IPs.

Don't forget to disable the WiFi function on the TP Link. That will reduce the load on that device and prevent confusion.

Also, I suggest setting up the controller on your buddy's PC rather than your RPI just in case he needs to access them.
Agree with this. Having their own controller would make it easy to make changes in future.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
How do you create a PPPoE connection from the Unifi Controller? Do you need a USG?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
No need to have the controller running.

Use the App on your mate’s phone to set up the AP’s.

Give your own Ubiquiti account access so you can help him manage it if need be.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Hey guys what are you using for backup power for your ubiquiti home networks in the event of load-shedding?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Hey guys what are you using for backup power for your ubiquiti home networks in the event of load-shedding?

I have an Eaton 5E powering my Dream Machine and PoE Switch and a Pi for the more important stuff like Home Assistant and Adguard DNS so that everything keeps working when the power goes out.

My HP Microserver with UnRAID shuts down when the battery hits 95%.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Depends on the device generations+source voltages,their setup in your network
Haven't built it yet but I'm planning to power the following comfortably for 4 hours:

Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway
2x Ubiquiti UniFi AP, AC Long Range
Ubiquiti UniFi Switch, 8-Port, 60W
Raspberry Pi4
Huawei ONT

All of the above will be in the same location, except the APs which will be POE

Any suggestions?

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
Haven't built it yet but I'm planning to power the following comfortably for 4 hours:

Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway
2x Ubiquiti UniFi AP, AC Long Range
Ubiquiti UniFi Switch, 8-Port, 60W
Raspberry Pi4
Huawei ONT

All of the above will be in the same location, except the APs which will be POE

Any suggestions?

List your powering options for the above devices and their power consumptions,then go from there

Napalm2880

Expert Member
List your powering options for the above devices and their power consumptions,then go from there
I want to know what others have implemented at home and what is working for them. I can do power consumption calculations but that doesn't advise me on which brand of UPS to buy or which battery dies after 4 months of usage.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
I have an Eaton 5E powering my Dream Machine and PoE Switch and a Pi for the more important stuff like Home Assistant and Adguard DNS so that everything keeps working when the power goes out.

My HP Microserver with UnRAID shuts down when the battery hits 95%.
1000/1500/2000VA?

How long does this last for with the Microserver, and other devices powered on?