The official Ubiquiti Devices Q&A Thread

powermzii

Expert Member
Sorry I got it confused with the nanoHD. Packaging says it has the same form factor and mounting hardware as the nanoHD but it doesn't say anything about the AC Lite

5e00e47a883dd9c71ff54699a689a1d5.jpg
23887f4019df7eaf81585bf95df13ef3.jpg

PhireSide

Honorary Master
I forgot about the set-inform command, I had to do it as well a while back when I changed controller IP's without removing the AP from the client. Luckily it's an easy fix with SSH and you remember the login creds

powermzii

Expert Member
The APs try to discover also by looking up UNIFI in the DNS,so if you have a custom DNS you can add a entry for it

I'm running mine in docker so if it's being icky you ssh in with ubnt:ubnt if its not adopted,then
set-inform http://ip-of-controller:8080/inform
Do this 2 or 3 times it should appear and be adoptable
Thanks so much man - this worked :) device is now adopted.. yippeeeee

Afrikali

Hi
I would like to upgrade our networking equipment to

Ubiquiti​

at home. Can anyone advise a reputable company in Johannesburg to do this for us please?

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
Hi

Ubiquiti​

at home. Can anyone advise a reputable company in Johannesburg to do this for us please?
I would say it depends on what you want out of your home network. Otherwise it’s a lot that can be done via DIY... especially if you can source things at a better price .

KevOfGoodHope

Hi

Ubiquiti​

I would say it depends on what you want out of your home network. Otherwise it’s a lot that can be done via DIY... especially if you can source things at a better price .
Ubiquiti is definitely a very good choice for home network, if you are tech savvy, or is willing to learn about networking with A LOT of Googlefu :ROFL:

Otherwise, I would actually recommend something like Google WiFi or Google Nest Wifi, depending on budget. Although they are not WiFi6, but should still be plenty for most home uses. Configuration is really easy with Google Home app and it sure is a lot more easier than fiddling around with UNMS/Unifi Controller.

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
Ubiquiti is definitely a very good choice for home network, if you are tech savvy, or is willing to learn about networking with A LOT of Googlefu :ROFL:

Otherwise, I would actually recommend something like Google WiFi or Google Nest Wifi, depending on budget. Although they are not WiFi6, but should still be plenty for most home uses. Configuration is really easy with Google Home app and it sure is a lot more easier than fiddling around with UNMS/Unifi Controller.
A few access points on its own is super easy to set up via the app. My daughter can do it at 14 yrs old

KevOfGoodHope

A few access points on its own is super easy to set up via the app. My daughter can do it at 14 yrs old
I agree that if it's just the AP it should be pretty straightforward, but for people who goes the Ubiquiti route, it's usually to enter the ecosystem. Setting up router/USG/switch does require quite a bit of network knowhow, otherwise it's really not for the average joe.

That's why something like Google (Nest) Wifi is an easier product/solution to recommend if the people using it is not tech savvy at all.

Just my 2c :cool:

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
I agree that if it's just the AP it should be pretty straightforward, but for people who goes the Ubiquiti route, it's usually to enter the ecosystem. Setting up router/USG/switch does require quite a bit of network knowhow, otherwise it's really not for the average joe.

That's why something like Google (Nest) Wifi is an easier product/solution to recommend if the people using it is not tech savvy at all.

Just my 2c :cool:
Hence my question, what is expected from the home network. If it’s anything that requires the “know how “ to use Unifi products then I’m also willing to bet that the google setup won’t be as useful and probably not what you need.

WiFi coverage is as simple as plug in your AP (or multiple units) and set them up on the app... plug and play stuff. Existing router will be fine. Any other wireless setup won’t compare.

let me admit though, I am biased... even though a lot might agree with me.

KevOfGoodHope

Hence my question, what is expected from the home network. If it’s anything that requires the “know how “ to use Unifi products then I’m also willing to bet that the google setup won’t be as useful and probably not what you need.

WiFi coverage is as simple as plug in your AP (or multiple units) and set them up on the app... plug and play stuff. Existing router will be fine. Any other wireless setup won’t compare.

let me admit though, I am biased... even though a lot might agree with me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm equally biased towards Ubiquiti as I am also heavily invested into Ubiquiti equipments myself, as you would have known by now from my past posts.

There was a need for my in-laws to upgrade their WiFi/network as they complained a lot about losing WiFi signals. They had a mix setup similar to many people, different brands of WiFi routers/AP, Power-line, WiFi Extender. The setup was really messy and unstable. They have 25Mbps fibre connection, but they could not enjoy it to the most.

I contemplated between the ideas of Unifi vs Google, but I really can't imagine my brother-in-law, who is not tech savvy at all, entering 192.168.0.1 in browser and configuring the network. We decided to give Google Nest WiFi a shot, 1 WiFi Router and 2 Access Point. The entire WiFi Mesh setup process was guided by the Google Home app step-by-step. It was pretty straightforward and user friendly. The setup covered the entire house, inside and outside, I was amazed by the coverage and how good the WiFi Mesh signal is.

I must give credit to Google on this one, I can whole heartedly recommend Google WiFi, given the personal experience. I still love my Ubiquiti, it is just that for people who can't handle tech, something like Google WiFi would be a very good alternative :)

ebendl

Expert Member
Don't get me wrong, I'm equally biased towards Ubiquiti as I am also heavily invested into Ubiquiti equipments myself, as you would have known by now from my past posts.

There was a need for my in-laws to upgrade their WiFi/network as they complained a lot about losing WiFi signals. They had a mix setup similar to many people, different brands of WiFi routers/AP, Power-line, WiFi Extender. The setup was really messy and unstable. They have 25Mbps fibre connection, but they could not enjoy it to the most.

I contemplated between the ideas of Unifi vs Google, but I really can't imagine my brother-in-law, who is not tech savvy at all, entering 192.168.0.1 in browser and configuring the network. We decided to give Google Nest WiFi a shot, 1 WiFi Router and 2 Access Point. The entire WiFi Mesh setup process was guided by the Google Home app step-by-step. It was pretty straightforward and user friendly. The setup covered the entire house, inside and outside, I was amazed by the coverage and how good the WiFi Mesh signal is.

I must give credit to Google on this one, I can whole heartedly recommend Google WiFi, given the personal experience. I still love my Ubiquiti, it is just that for people who can't handle tech, something like Google WiFi would be a very good alternative :)

I can honestly say the same about the TP-LINK deco e4.

For anybody who is tech savvy it a sounds like a waste since the lan port is only 100mbps.

But for anybody with up to 100mbps Fibre and little wired devices it is perfect. And it is cheap. And it is easy to setup. And quite reliable.

I've set up 4 networks with between 2 - 4 Access points and not one of those family members have complained about their wifi since.

Genisys

Honorary Master
This thread has been rather quiet the past while. Anyone moving away from Ubnt equipment with the latest shenanigans regarding their security incident from earlier this year?

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
This thread has been rather quiet the past while. Anyone moving away from Ubnt equipment with the latest shenanigans regarding their security incident from earlier this year?
Quite because everyone’s Ubiquiti setups are running so flawlessly lol

alqassam

Expert Member
Upgraded to the latest controller and now I keep getting messages saying some aps have trouble connecting.

It seems to be a commoj bug

PhireSide

Honorary Master
There really isn't any viable prosumer brands available to us in SA at a good price point as what Ubiquiti can offer.

I dislike the way that the whole debacle was handled but their hardware is good. I guess if you're really worried you could flash them with OpenWRT and have them work as a standalone AP.

I looked at our options in SA and there really isn't much out there. Aruba is pretty expensive and Mikrotik AP's have substandard range when compared to Unifi's products.

Cisco AP's need hardware controllers and I'm not sure if we get Ruckus products in SA. The other options are more focused on Mesh Wireless (Tenda, TP-Link, Google, etc.)

powermzii

Expert Member
I have just migratrd my home devices to Unifi APs and honestly loving them. Still figuring out one or two things though. Looking to get some type of USG at the end of the month so that i have the end to end functionality