The official Ubiquiti Devices Q&A Thread

Crumbl0x

There really isn't any viable prosumer brands available to us in SA at a good price point as what Ubiquiti can offer.

I dislike the way that the whole debacle was handled but their hardware is good. I guess if you're really worried you could flash them with OpenWRT and have them work as a standalone AP.

I looked at our options in SA and there really isn't much out there. Aruba is pretty expensive and Mikrotik AP's have substandard range when compared to Unifi's products.

Cisco AP's need hardware controllers and I'm not sure if we get Ruckus products in SA. The other options are more focused on Mesh Wireless (Tenda, TP-Link, Google, etc.)
Yep 100% true, it really sucks.

I much prefer Linksys on principal alone (especially with such rampant support for FOSS and oWRT setups) and for actually being competent in keeping their commercial software properly updated and without troubling violations, but my goodness the imported prices are just absurd. That had to force me to look for alternative mesh and AP systems that are at least compromisable for the regular pricing.

powermzii

Expert Member
Was having issues with certain devices not connecting to one of my SSIDs - it is broadcasting 2.4 and 5ghz and have another one just for IOT devices thats broadcasting 2.4 only. Devices would error out "Denied access to network" when connecting to the non IOT SSID but would connect with no issues to the IOT SSID. I havent implemented any VLANS etc.

Anyways - managed to resolve it by setting Band Steering to 'Prefer 5G' as opposed to balanced and now my devices can connect to the other SSID on 5Ghz...

Edit: Am wondering if i need to go for that Ubiquiti course...lol

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
Was having issues with certain devices not connecting to one of my SSIDs - it is broadcasting 2.4 and 5ghz and have another one just for IOT devices thats broadcasting 2.4 only. Devices would error out "Denied access to network" when connecting to the non IOT SSID but would connect with no issues to the IOT SSID. I havent implemented any VLANS etc.

Anyways - managed to resolve it by setting Band Steering to 'Prefer 5G' as opposed to balanced and now my devices can connect to the other SSID on 5Ghz...
I’m going to assume that you are happy with your purchase and had a fun Easter weekend of installing lol

powermzii

Expert Member
I’m going to assume that you are happy with your purchase and had a fun Easter weekend of installing lol
Hahaha... you assume correct :)

Very happy with it - now considering next purchase, i.e. do i get the 5port POE switch for my garage (AP in there is connected via my POE camera switch which is 100Mbps) or do i get the UDM / USG? Oh and i also need to get an outdoor AP .... eish

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member

Very happy with it - now considering next purchase, i.e. do i get the 5port POE switch for my garage (AP in there is connected via my POE camera switch which is 100Mbps) or do i get the UDM / USG? Oh and i also need to get an outdoor AP .... eish
One of the guys on carbonite had the USG and cloud key setup. He eventually went UDM and says it was the best decision he made. Personally I route via Mikrotik so can’t give my personal experience.
If planning to go all out unifi I’d say saving up for the UDM is probably a smart move... plus we’ll work on a better price than the one I already quoted you.
The same guy from carb is also changing his 8 port switches and going with a 16port unifi poe switch. Having less equipment all over the place makes it easier for him and he has now fitted his rack in his garage... probably helps that he was also doing renovations so all his cabling is chased and hidden.

maybe before the next purchase check what your end goal is for the future and then decide based on that?
If no plans for a rack in future then I think your current plans are on the right track with only the UDM/USG being your difficult choice.

as for the outdoor... should have told me sooner. Just let go of another one at a good price! I personally love the AC mesh units, they’ve been amazing. Would even use them indoors haha

powermzii

Expert Member
One of the guys on carbonite had the USG and cloud key setup. He eventually went UDM and says it was the best decision he made. Personally I route via Mikrotik so can’t give my personal experience.
If planning to go all out unifi I’d say saving up for the UDM is probably a smart move... plus we’ll work on a better price than the one I already quoted you.
The same guy from carb is also changing his 8 port switches and going with a 16port unifi poe switch. Having less equipment all over the place makes it easier for him and he has now fitted his rack in his garage... probably helps that he was also doing renovations so all his cabling is chased and hidden.

maybe before the next purchase check what your end goal is for the future and then decide based on that?
If no plans for a rack in future then I think your current plans are on the right track with only the UDM/USG being your difficult choice.

as for the outdoor... should have told me sooner. Just let go of another one at a good price! I personally love the AC mesh units, they’ve been amazing. Would even use them indoors haha
For outdoor - i thought i'd be covered but only found out this weekend that there are corners that are not... so only started considering it this weekend.

Yeah definitely need to figure out whether UDM or USG then move from there - UDM would give me more headroom to upgrade later - could keep my Mikrotik going for another few months until I get the budget sorted

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
Yeah the mikrotik wouldn’t be an issue at all.
I remember Yusree mentioning that the cost of the USG and cloud key was so much that you might as well go UDM. Ask around and read more about the pros and cons before deciding. Would be a big waste if you decide to go one route now and then change your mind a few months or even a year later.

lkswan747

Expert Member
This thread has been rather quiet the past while. Anyone moving away from Ubnt equipment with the latest shenanigans regarding their security incident from earlier this year?
With all the security breaches at various companies worldwide, we would be back in the dark ages if we moved away from them! :D

powermzii

Expert Member
Let me see how to setup and use VLANS between Mikrotik and Unifi - VLANS in Mikrotik have always confused me so much

lkswan747

Expert Member
I have just migratrd my home devices to Unifi APs and honestly loving them. Still figuring out one or two things though. Looking to get some type of USG at the end of the month so that i have the end to end functionality
Stop procrastinating and get a USG, in my opinion, it is worth the money and effort. ;)
Had it not been for Escum and their loadshedding, my Ubiquiti network would have been up and running for over 18 months without a reboot. This obviously excludes reboots for essential security updates.
USG 3P
2 X 8 Port POE Switches
2 X Unifi AP-AC-LR
1 X Unifi AP-AC-Lite
Unifi Cloud Key
3 networks, namely:
Home Network
IOT

Crowley

Executive Member
I sold my USG, AP-LR and one of my 8 port POE switches last week and got myself a Dream Machine which costs pretty much the same as those three combined but looks a lot cooler. Pretty pissed that I can't control the Aircube from the Dream machine but I guess I should have done my reasearch before buying it. Selling the Aircube as soon as I can figure out how to extend a POE cable that powers the nanobeam that links my townhouse and my brothers townhouse.

Any suggestions?

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
How did you previously control the air cube? They look kind of nice and I’ve been toying with the idea of aircubes, but I heard they’re don’t mesh too well?

as for the poe cable, why not just run a new cable? Or get one of those surface mount boxes to join another cable?

KevOfGoodHope

I would recommend to go with USG/UDM for the "fun factor", you will be able to do all sort of interesting things like VLAN, Firewall, WiFi config, etc. With the switch there are really very limited things you can do apart from configuring VLAN or Link Aggregation Group (LAG).

Unless you need POE for IP cameras, then this is a different requirement.

powermzii

Expert Member
I would recommend to go with USG/UDM for the "fun factor", you will be able to do all sort of interesting things like VLAN, Firewall, WiFi config, etc. With the switch there are really very limited things you can do apart from configuring VLAN or Link Aggregation Group (LAG).

Unless you need POE for IP cameras, then this is a different requirement.
I'm currently running POE for my IP cameras off dumb switches so that's covered - not looking to change that anytime soon. The dumb switches do connect back to my USW-8 Lite . Its more the routing side that's peaking my interest now hence the UDM / USG ;-) but i know that my current Mikrotik is doing a good job routing... choices choices

KevOfGoodHope

I'm currently running POE for my IP cameras off dumb switches so that's covered - not looking to change that anytime soon. The dumb switches do connect back to my USW-8 Lite . Its more the routing side that's peaking my interest now hence the UDM / USG ;-) but i know that my current Mikrotik is doing a good job routing... choices choices
Not sure what your Mikrotik router does currently, but fiddling around with VLAN and Firewall is definitely fun, not mentioning other things you can also do, such as DNS and VPN.

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
Currently I’m using a hap ac2 and it’s working well. I’ve toyed with the idea of a RB4011 since I was able to get it for next to nothing, but it’s overkill for me and then of course the size and look just doesn’t fit into the home environment... unless of course I decide to go with a rack then it wouldn’t be an issue.

the thought of a UDM has also crossed my mind, but it’s not really a necessity and once again the pro would be out of place unless in a rack. The UdM with the built in AP however does look more suited to home use, but again not really a necessity and would purely be for convenience of controlling everything from one environment (which would be nice). I don’t however make plenty of changes... in fact I don’t touch anything at all and it’s just working so well right now that any change would be unnecessary.

powermzii

Expert Member
Not sure what your Mikrotik router does currently, but fiddling around with VLAN and Firewall is definitely fun, not mentioning other things you can also do, such as DNS and VPN.
oh definitely - the 'Tik learning curve is hella tough and ive messed things up many times. Now it just runs with no issues tho

Genisys

Honorary Master
Currently I’m using a hap ac2 and it’s working well. I’ve toyed with the idea of a RB4011 since I was able to get it for next to nothing, but it’s overkill for me and then of course the size and look just doesn’t fit into the home environment... unless of course I decide to go with a rack then it wouldn’t be an issue.

the thought of a UDM has also crossed my mind, but it’s not really a necessity and once again the pro would be out of place unless in a rack. The UdM with the built in AP however does look more suited to home use, but again not really a necessity and would purely be for convenience of controlling everything from one environment (which would be nice). I don’t however make plenty of changes... in fact I don’t touch anything at all and it’s just working so well right now that any change would be unnecessary.
Please stay away from the RB4011. I'm not saying it because I'm a "hater", I'm saying it because my RB4011 is not exactly the best router out there from Mikrotik. At the price point its good, but if you don't need a single 10Gb port (there is only one) you are better off with just a Hex S or RB750Gr3. If you really need 10Gb and you have a 10Gb switch you are better off with a CCR1036 (Can't remember if the CCR1016 has a variant with two sfp+ ports)

skyw4lk3r

I just sold my UDM Pro , unfortunately it couldn't do bandwidth limits for wired clients, nor per vlan. So with a voip setup needing guaranteed bandwidth it wasn't up to the task. Still using unifi APs and switches with a cloud key, the switching and APs are great , but the routing doesn't have the features needed for business.

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
Please stay away from the RB4011. I'm not saying it because I'm a "hater", I'm saying it because my RB4011 is not exactly the best router out there from Mikrotik. At the price point its good, but if you don't need a single 10Gb port (there is only one) you are better off with just a Hex S or RB750Gr3. If you really need 10Gb and you have a 10Gb switch you are better off with a CCR1036 (Can't remember if the CCR1016 has a variant with two sfp+ ports)
Appreciate the feedback. Like I said it’s overkill for my needs so wouldn’t need anything more than the hap ac2.
I’ve also looked at the Rb750Gr3 as it was also available to me at a super price, but again there was really no need for me to change anything. Maybe when my home speed goes beyond the 1gig line then I’ll need a change.