The official Ubiquiti Devices Q&A Thread

ItherNiT

I'm still seeing my usage under insights and if I select a client history. Running version 6.1.71.0, old UI.

1620890299234.png
1620890358779.png

medicnick83

Paramedic
Yeah, under the new ui, it vanishes.
insights only shows "WIFI Scanner" for me.
and client usage vanishes and becomes 'duration' (not data usage)

ItherNiT

Looks like unifi is finally going to be offering cheap 10gbps switches. :D

yogidabear

From the app you just click clients and see the usage?

Attachments

• IMG_8AB3ADD23FDC-1.jpeg
    IMG_8AB3ADD23FDC-1.jpeg
    631.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_EEEB0DEF1746-1.jpeg
    IMG_EEEB0DEF1746-1.jpeg
    473.1 KB · Views: 19

fruitbat

Expert Member
Is there a max length one can run for PoE cables to a access point, before you need to use the PoE injector?

TedLasso

Expert Member
Is there a max length one can run for PoE cables to a access point, before you need to use the PoE injector?
I would assume it's tied to the specs/standards so if they say 100m cable run , you should be good for 100m . Also assume if you have interconnects , e.g. from switch to patch panel to AP, it may get slightly affected. But to the standard.

We just installed 8 pros this week in our building use 6A cable and never thought about lengths. Some of them must be around 50-60m mark but they powered up fine receiving juice from an HP POE switch.

TedLasso

Expert Member
Ubiquiti hot spots

We want to use the ubiquiti hot spot feature to allow guests to easily get WiFi access for a short period of time.

I know that what I would do is definitely put them on a seperate VLAN, enable wireless isolation and also set a bandwidth profile so that they get say 10mbps up/down.

Two use cases for 'guests'
1.Employees personal devices
2.External people.

FYI, Corporate devices are automatically provisioned to use WiFi through intune settings.

What I would I would like is that employees who connect can use their guest access for 30 days at a time , so they have to sign in once a month. (alternative is a dedicated SSID with wpa2 password which we give them but poses another risk with password being shared)

For an external, they should use it for 10 hours before being prompted to sign in again. And of course , we need to log this .

As we are in a dense area, there is a concern that people outside the building will see the open WiFi SSD and use it so trying to understand the best way to do it while also being safe.

Can the ubiquiti hotspot feature do this and if you did this, would appreciate any pointers?

PS. At home, I just have a dedicated SSID for guests (domestic helpers, family, friends) on it own VLAN, which has a bandwidth profile allowing them to use 25Mbps of bandwidth. They indirectly get access to ad free searching and definitely no access to anything else such as iOT devices, audio systems, TVs which are all on WiFi )

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Ubiquiti hot spots

We want to use the ubiquiti hot spot feature to allow guests to easily get WiFi access for a short period of time.

I know that what I would do is definitely put them on a seperate VLAN, enable wireless isolation and also set a bandwidth profile so that they get say 10mbps up/down.

Two use cases for 'guests'
1.Employees personal devices
2.External people.

FYI, Corporate devices are automatically provisioned to use WiFi through intune settings.

What I would I would like is that employees who connect can use their guest access for 30 days at a time , so they have to sign in once a month. (alternative is a dedicated SSID with wpa2 password which we give them but poses another risk with password being shared)

For an external, they should use it for 10 hours before being prompted to sign in again. And of course , we need to log this .

As we are in a dense area, there is a concern that people outside the building will see the open WiFi SSD and use it so trying to understand the best way to do it while also being safe.

Can the ubiquiti hotspot feature do this and if you did this, would appreciate any pointers?

PS. At home, I just have a dedicated SSID for guests (domestic helpers, family, friends) on it own VLAN, which has a bandwidth profile allowing them to use 25Mbps of bandwidth. They indirectly get access to ad free searching and definitely no access to anything else such as iOT devices, audio systems, TVs which are all on WiFi )
I think the Hotspot, along with the Captive Portal feature, will be able to do what you would want.

Your thinking with a separate VLAN and SSID is sound, and you can also have pre- and post-authentication networks so you could allow access to the Controller which is hosting the captive portal to allow people to sign in.

AFAIK you can also have people sign up using Google or Facebook, but I have never tested that feature myself. You can also set 'vouchers' and have expiry dates for users. I don't have our captive portal turned on at the moment but I do recall seeing these settings when poking around.

What you could also do is either limit the SSID broadcast power to keep it more or less to cover the building(s) that you want to cover if you want to keep outsiders from using it. OR, you can set a minimum RSSI per AP so that if someone is inside the building, they can associate with said AP but when the link strength goes below a certain dB (when standing outside the building, for example), it disconnects the client.

The other option which we do at home is to have a QR code that people can scan which allows them access. This is of course not good for people with laptops, but handy for phones and tablets. Some sites can generate them for free: https://www.qr-code-generator.com/solutions/wifi-qr-code/

Messugga

Honorary Master
Looks like unifi is finally going to be offering cheap 10gbps switches. :D

Bit or a weird product in that the
PoE port is only gigabit. So do you run two cables to your main network, 1 for power and 1 for 10gbps?

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Bit or a weird product in that the
PoE port is only gigabit. So do you run two cables to your main network, 1 for power and 1 for 10gbps?
I thought that as well.

I'd imagine the gigabit input is for your ONT/Router/USG for your uplink from your ISP.

Ideal for SOHO or home power users but I can't see it making any sense in a commercial environment.

Messugga

Honorary Master
I thought that as well.

I'd imagine the gigabit input is for your ONT/Router/USG for your uplink from your ISP.

Ideal for SOHO or home power users but I can't see it making any sense in a commercial environment.
What ONT has PoE out though? Anyway, maybe a sign of things to come at least.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
What ONT has PoE out though? Anyway, maybe a sign of things to come at least.
It seems to have a USB-C power socket so you can probably power it through a conventional power adapter, or maybe an Ubiquiti PoE injector will be bundled along with it?

It is quite a niche product overall. I think places like r/homelab, r/homenetworking and r/homeserver will be all over it upon release.

EDIT: From the product specification page:

1621084799635.png

ItherNiT

Most likely for POE to power it from switch and then use that 10gbps for interconnecting internal high speed devices NAS to NAS etc.

TedLasso

Expert Member
I think the Hotspot, along with the Captive Portal feature, will be able to do what you would want.

Your thinking with a separate VLAN and SSID is sound, and you can also have pre- and post-authentication networks so you could allow access to the Controller which is hosting the captive portal to allow people to sign in.

AFAIK you can also have people sign up using Google or Facebook, but I have never tested that feature myself. You can also set 'vouchers' and have expiry dates for users. I don't have our captive portal turned on at the moment but I do recall seeing these settings when poking around.

What you could also do is either limit the SSID broadcast power to keep it more or less to cover the building(s) that you want to cover if you want to keep outsiders from using it. OR, you can set a minimum RSSI per AP so that if someone is inside the building, they can associate with said AP but when the link strength goes below a certain dB (when standing outside the building, for example), it disconnects the client.

The other option which we do at home is to have a QR code that people can scan which allows them access. This is of course not good for people with laptops, but handy for phones and tablets. Some sites can generate them for free: https://www.qr-code-generator.com/solutions/wifi-qr-code/
Thanks for the insights. Will check it out.

scoobydoo101sa

Do you guys have any contact for Unifi ? im looking for a technician to spend a day at my client to check the system and optimize where possible, They have been having issues for a while now and i need someone who knows the system in and out to advise us. Please DM me if you are interested with your cost.

powermzii

Expert Member
I see scoop (and hype) now have the U6-LR AP models in stock for anyone interested

1625473131684.png

1625473147884.png

ubercal

Expert Member
Do you guys have any contact for Unifi ? im looking for a technician to spend a day at my client to check the system and optimize where possible, They have been having issues for a while now and i need someone who knows the system in and out to advise us. Please DM me if you are interested with your cost.
unifi dont have any official support channels (thats one of the reasons they are much cheaper then the other big wifi boys like ruckus etc).Your only means of support is to download the user manuals and visit the unifi forums.

cobussc

Try Uniterm Direct. The Cape Town office

Contact Info:​

Phone:
021 000 2233
021 552 6701
Email: sales@dbg.co.za

is extremely knowledgable and helpful from my own experience. Head office in Jhb, so all may be able to point you in the right direction. They offer a good discount to MBB members.

cobussc

Try Uniterm Direct. The Cape Town office

Contact Info:​

Phone:
021 000 2233
021 552 6701
Email: sales@dbg.co.za

is extremely knowledgable and helpful from my own experience. Head office in Jhb, so all may be able to point you in the right direction. They offer a good discount to MBB members.
replied to scoobydoo101sa