The official Ubiquiti Devices Q&A Thread

ubercal

Expert Member
or you can just contact any IT support company and get them to have a look.Most IT companies install unifi equipment.

powermzii

Expert Member
I see Ubiquiti have just announced the UDM Pro SE - 8POE ports, 2.5Gbps WAN and an internal SSD

darklordpook

Hey. Sorry if this is a dumb question. I have a Asus ROG GT-AXE11000 WIFI 6E router and a Ubiquity 48 port pro switch.

Is this a good combination or should I get a UDM Pro to control the network as well.

Thanks

Also, anybody know any decent installers in the Garden Route please?

powermzii

Expert Member
Hey. Sorry if this is a dumb question. I have a Asus ROG GT-AXE11000 WIFI 6E router and a Ubiquity 48 port pro switch.

Is this a good combination or should I get a UDM Pro to control the network as well.

Thanks

You don't NEED a UDM / UMD Pro to manage the network - it makes it somewhat easier if you also have Unifi APs etc but definitely not necessary (Also stock seems to be short at the moment)

what do you want to do, i.e. what are you trying to achieve by putting in a UDM that the Asus / unifi app isn't letting you

lkswan747

Expert Member

Thanks

What do you want to control?

darklordpook

I want to put in Unify AP's (U6 Lites) as well as a few cameras and a video doorbell. Considering the price of the UDM Pro, I must say I'm very tempted... although that leaves me with a very expensive and very redundant router.

powermzii

Expert Member
I want to put in Unify AP's (U6 Lites) as well as a few cameras and a video doorbell. Considering the price of the UDM Pro, I must say I'm very tempted... although that leaves me with a very expensive and very redundant router.
Sell one to finance the other :)
You COULD still manage the APs without a UDM (Pro) the app is great

SAguy

Executive Member
Spoke too soon about crimping cables on another thread.

I've got 2 x cat 6 cables going to 2 Unifi In Wall HDs, both about 20m long. I've crimped both ends myself, both test fine with the little tester.

Both devices power on, but one shows 100FDX and the other goes to wireless uplink. When I switch wireless uplink off then the device is no longer reachable, but stays powered on.

Even though my crimps seem good could it still be crimps or the cable itself?

Both coming from my USW-24-POE

powermzii

Expert Member
I'm assuming you've checked the port settings in tend of auto negotiation ab d poe?

skyw4lk3r

Spoke too soon about crimping cables on another thread.

I've got 2 x cat 6 cables going to 2 Unifi In Wall HDs, both about 20m long. I've crimped both ends myself, both test fine with the little tester.

Both devices power on, but one shows 100FDX and the other goes to wireless uplink. When I switch wireless uplink off then the device is no longer reachable, but stays powered on.

Even though my crimps seem good could it still be crimps or the cable itself?

Both coming from my USW-24-POE
Had this type of problem on an AC-LR due to a bad crimp.
Can be the cable also. Devices getting power but perhaps other wires inside are damaged. Try with a short reliable cable to confirm devices work fine.

SAguy

Executive Member
Had this type of problem on an AC-LR due to a bad crimp.
Can be the cable also. Devices getting power but perhaps other wires inside are damaged. Try with a short reliable cable to confirm devices work fine.
Checked with a shorter cable, both working fine.

Starting to regret pulling in cat6 - I could crimp cat5 no problems, but this is going to be a pain if I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong with the crimps.

deesef

Expert Member
Checked with a shorter cable, both working fine.

Starting to regret pulling in cat6 - I could crimp cat5 no problems, but this is going to be a pain if I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong with the crimps.
Are you using CCA or copper cable? If you are CCA over 20 metres, then there is your issue.

PS, if you need copper cable at a reasonable price, contact https://redstrut.co.za/. I have always had good service from them.

TedLasso

Expert Member
I notice Ubiquiti APs are rarer to find then hen's teeth nowadays. Is there really such a huge shortage in the market?

Been waiting for some LR APs for a month now, but supplier can't find any. Says earliest ETA is October ?

PhireSide

Honorary Master
I notice Ubiquiti APs are rarer to find then hen's teeth nowadays. Is there really such a huge shortage in the market?

Been waiting for some LR APs for a month now, but supplier can't find any. Says earliest ETA is October ?
I see places like Takealot have stock, at least of the previous gen Wifi5 ones. But the prices are very much inflated. My AC LR cost me around R1600 two years ago. That same model is R2600 at the moment

TedLasso

Expert Member
I see places like Takealot have stock, at least of the previous gen Wifi5 ones. But the prices are very much inflated. My AC LR cost me around R1600 two years ago. That same model is R2600 at the moment
As it's for work, can't use Takealot :(

Scoop also showing nothing. Perhaps Ubiquiti are stuffed by the chip shortage.

Maybe will have to ask upper management if they will allow an exception to purchase from Takealot