The official Ubiquiti Devices Q&A Thread

Ares1000101

It won't, forget it. Such thread must be started by a professional who knows the product very well.
I suppose it also doesn't help having people like you derailing the thread. "came here by mistake" yet you still find the need to post a useless comment.

I don't own any of their products but I am very keen to use them in the future, this thread could help!

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
So I had a productive night yesterday. Threw out my mikrotik router/wifi/firewall and replaced with with a Unibiqti USG and 1 AP (as a test). Installed the controller on my Windows PC , and after 10 minutes of troubleshooting, realised that the Firewall on my PC was blocking communication to the USG and AP to allow me to adopt. But in that period, I setup the Wi-Fi credentials (Home, iOT, Guest) and other bits and bobs. It was really easy.

Disclaimer: I have a background in networks/security so perhaps that skews my perception

PPPoE setup to connect to my ISP was dead simple. I can't believe it ! It just worked
Configuring Port forwards for stuff was easy too.
Updating Firmware is a cinch.

The stats are amazing!

So far very happy with what I have achieved. Tonight, I install the second AP and the switch to activate the WiFi VLANs, etc. I expect most of it work and then I start the process to move iOT devices, etc into the LANS - this weekends job!

I dont have a USG, but Ive read you should keep an eye on the stats. Theyre not always 100% accurate, and occasionally they release updates to improve it.

Happy tinkering!

sajunky

Honorary Master
So I had a productive night yesterday. Threw out my mikrotik router/wifi/firewall and replaced with with a Unibiqti USG and 1 AP (as a test). Installed the controller on my Windows PC , and after 10 minutes of troubleshooting, realised that the Firewall on my PC was blocking communication to the USG and AP to allow me to adopt. But in that period, I setup the Wi-Fi credentials (Home, iOT, Guest) and other bits and bobs. It was really easy.

Disclaimer: I have a background in networks/security so perhaps that skews my perception

PPPoE setup to connect to my ISP was dead simple. I can't believe it ! It just worked
Configuring Port forwards for stuff was easy too.
Updating Firmware is a cinch.

The stats are amazing!

So far very happy with what I have achieved. Tonight, I install the second AP and the switch to activate the WiFi VLANs, etc. I expect most of it work and then I start the process to move iOT devices, etc into the LANS - this weekends job!
I do not understand why you couldn't pair AP's. Windows firewall is not blocking outgoing traffic. I suspect it was not an original Windows installation. I had no problem with pairing running controller on Windows.

USG is fine, but terrible expensive comparing to Mikrotik or even Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X. For now you are happy as long your setup is very simple and supported by GUI. Once you must go CLI, you will find it is much easier on Mikrotik or ER-X CLI to do the same job.

I know you will ignore what I said, but this one might be helpful. You can run Controller as a Windows service, it is what I do. Follow guidelines on Website. When you do, disable automatic software update, as it will not update service part and Controller will not open anymore. You must repeat installation instruction after each update.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
1 <3 my USG. I actually wish I'd bought the 4P rather than the 3, as the 3 is a little underpowered.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
1 <3 my USG. I actually wish I'd bought the 4P rather than the 3, as the 3 is a little underpowered.
Have heard that if you turn on all the bells anf whistles then max throughput is something like 85Mb/s.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Expensive comparing what can be achieved on alternative solution like Mikrotik or Ubiquity own ER-X.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Expensive comparing what can be achieved on alternative solution like Mikrotik or Ubiquity own ER-X.
You're paying for more than what's possible. The slick interface and awesome ecosystem, for a start.

cobussc

Need advice please. Also want to try the USG, got hold of a secondhand one.. From what I understand, I need a router in bridge mode to connect to the USG. Is that the only way? If I can find a modem only (haven't seen any advertised, unless I'm blind) is that possible? The controller is set up on my pc and working fine with the APs.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Need advice please. Also want to try the USG, got hold of a secondhand one.. From what I understand, I need a router in bridge mode to connect to the USG. Is that the only way? If I can find a modem only (haven't seen any advertised, unless I'm blind) is that possible? The controller is set up on my pc and working fine with the APs.
If you want the USG to do the PPPoE then you need a router that supports bridge mode. Modem only - as long as it does ethernet, it should be fine. I haven't seen anything like this though.
If your router doesn't support bridge mode then you should still be ok - set the USG to DHCP mode on the wan interface, and set a different network to your home network on your router's dhcp setup. Then connect ONLY the USG to your router's ethernet port. You'll have double nat, which will be a PITA if you're exposing stuff on the net (port forwarding) but should work ok for normal browsing etc.

cobussc

Thanks. Seems a pity to do this to my Asus DSL-AC68U though. Will any (cheapish) router do the job?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Thanks. Seems a pity to do this to my Asus DSL-AC68U though. Will any (cheapish) router do the job?
I used to use a real cheap billion adsl2+ router, it supported bridge. Was like 300 bucks a pop.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
If you want the USG to do the PPPoE then you need a router that supports bridge mode. Modem only - as long as it does ethernet, it should be fine. I haven't seen anything like this though.
If your router doesn't support bridge mode then you should still be ok - set the USG to DHCP mode on the wan interface, and set a different network to your home network on your router's dhcp setup. Then connect ONLY the USG to your router's ethernet port. You'll have double nat, which will be a PITA if you're exposing stuff on the net (port forwarding) but should work ok for normal browsing etc.
When I setup my USG this week, I threw out the old Mikrotik router provided from my openserve fibre and put in the USG in its place. From the WAN port - I connected directly to the ONT and provide PPPoE details for my ISP and it connected and I haven't looked back since. Everything working wonderfully. Glad that I am not using DSL anymore.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
I do not understand why you couldn't pair AP's. Windows firewall is not blocking outgoing traffic. I suspect it was not an original Windows installation. I had no problem with pairing running controller on Windows.

USG is fine, but terrible expensive comparing to Mikrotik or even Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X. For now you are happy as long your setup is very simple and supported by GUI. Once you must go CLI, you will find it is much easier on Mikrotik or ER-X CLI to do the same job.

I know you will ignore what I said, but this one might be helpful. You can run Controller as a Windows service, it is what I do. Follow guidelines on Website. When you do, disable automatic software update, as it will not update service part and Controller will not open anymore. You must repeat installation instruction after each update.
I don't know really. Mines is a default Windows Install. Insider build. Maybe a bit more security than normal because I do care. I had the firewall activated for my private network (as defined in Windows). I just turned it off and problem solved. Anyway, it will be a short term issue. Have decided to repurpose a Raspberry Pi which was used for Kodi to become my new Unifi controller + PiHole. That way the problem is permanently solved. Will be giving that a go tonight using these instructions

First - use an old 1TB external drive as storage for the Pi so as to not kill the SD card : https://thepi.io/how-to-boot-your-raspberry-pi-from-a-usb-mass-storage-device/

Then install PiHole: https://thepi.io/how-to-use-your-raspberry-pi-as-a-network-wide-ad-blocker/

Then lastly this:- https://unifipi.com/

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I'm using a cloud key - but if it ever "retires" I'll set a controller up on a VM on the monster server I've just procured :D

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
Have to say it was even easier then I thought. Thanks to this post ... the entire Unify controller + Pihole setup was a cinch (25 mins) max!

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/Step-By-Step-Tutorial-Guide-Raspberry-Pi-with-UniFi-controller/td-p/2470231

What was even cooler was that I backed up my Controller config on my Windows Instance, and then restored it on the Pi instance. I was expecting loads of ****, due to the IPs being different - but nothing - it just fixed itself - and the APs, Switch and USG just reassociated/adopted to the new controller. If this is what SDN is - consider me sold. I hope I never have to see CLI again! As a very old network guy (that hasn't done this type of stuff in his day to day job for 8 years now) ... it's been a revelation.

MiffMeister

Have to say it was even easier then I thought. Thanks to this post ... the entire Unify controller + Pihole setup was a cinch (25 mins) max!

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/Step-By-Step-Tutorial-Guide-Raspberry-Pi-with-UniFi-controller/td-p/2470231

What was even cooler was that I backed up my Controller config on my Windows Instance, and then restored it on the Pi instance. I was expecting loads of ****, due to the IPs being different - but nothing - it just fixed itself - and the APs, Switch and USG just reassociated/adopted to the new controller. If this is what SDN is - consider me sold. I hope I never have to see CLI again! As a very old network guy (that hasn't done this type of stuff in his day to day job for 8 years now) ... it's been a revelation.
Cli gets old quickly. Even the Mikrotik interface looks very old and dated.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
So finally installed the APs on the ceiling and with cat5e cables to the switch.

After all that hard work inside the roof, the furthest AP, connected with a store bought 30m cable, connects at 100Mbps FDX and not gigabit.

AAAAARRRGH! This is a lesson, test the cables before you use them. In my case, will borrow a tester to see which pair is faulty , hoping all I need to do is just re crimp new jack's to get back to gigabit.

So far everything works like a dream . Also cool that the AP light gives off enough light so that at night you have a blue night light.

For the experts, is there a way to boost the power output of the AP? Sadly, after mounting the AP , the one that was supposed to provide coverage to my outside gate motor is barely receiving it . I had tested everything while on floor , but had to move AP when mounting about 7m away due to ceiling issues