The official Ubiquiti Devices Q&A Thread

PhireSide

Honorary Master
As it's for work, can't use Takealot :(

Scoop also showing nothing. Perhaps Ubiquiti are stuffed by the chip shortage.

Maybe will have to ask upper management if they will allow an exception to purchase from Takealot
1. Buy shelf company
2. Apply for supplier status at your company
3. Buy and resell AP's from Takealot
4. ????
5. Profit

SAguy

Executive Member
Checked with a shorter cable, both working fine.

Starting to regret pulling in cat6 - I could crimp cat5 no problems, but this is going to be a pain if I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong with the crimps.
I'm using this: https://scoop.co.za/linkbasic-305m-box-cat6-solid-utp-cable.html

I pulled 6 cables over 20m, all of them light up when using the cable tester. I've plugged the AP into 4 of them so far, none work. Surely I can't be getting it so wrong.

I'm going to get a different rj45 jack, and maybe a different crimper.

SAguy

Executive Member
I'm using this: https://scoop.co.za/linkbasic-305m-box-cat6-solid-utp-cable.html

I pulled 6 cables over 20m, all of them light up when using the cable tester. I've plugged the AP into 4 of them so far, none work. Surely I can't be getting it so wrong.

I'm going to get a different rj45 jack, and maybe a different crimper.
I'm using this rj45 - it's shielded, but I realise now my cable is unshielded.

Possible that this is the problem?

SAguy

Executive Member
Recrimp
Also make sure ports are set at 1Gbps
Ports are on autonegotiate, when I use the same port with a different cable I get 1Gbps.
Must be my crimps.

Man, I could crimp Cat5e without any issues ever. Going to try a different rj45 and see if that makes a difference.

IceQB

Expert Member
Use these for cat6, it makes sure u get them right thru
79994d8f8c900d6225597faa6badd4c8.jpg

skyw4lk3r

I'm using this rj45 - it's shielded, but I realise now my cable is unshielded.

Possible that this is the problem?
sometimes the connector isn't making proper contact, try normal connectors

TedLasso

Expert Member
1. Buy shelf company
2. Apply for supplier status at your company
3. Buy and resell AP's from Takealot
4. ????
5. Profit
- you need to see our procurement and compliance processes. Good luck to anyone trying something dodge. The government should hire some of our compliance guys to build their systems.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Bought new equip brand crimper and rj45s and it's working fine now.
I knew it wasn't me.
My old boss always said, 'a poor workman blames his tools' but in this case I can understand. Sometimes the teeth of the crimpers just wear out and don't squeeze down so lekker anymore.

Glad you got it sorted. You must have some arm pump from all the crimping you've done :laugh:

SAguy

Executive Member
My old boss always said, 'a poor workman blames his tools' but in this case I can understand. Sometimes the teeth of the crimpers just wear out and don't squeeze down so lekker anymore.

Glad you got it sorted. You must have some arm pump from all the crimping you've done :laugh:
It's possible that maybe my original crimper and jacks were just less tolerant to my crappy crimping... :X3:

IMG_20210826_193435.jpg

gbyleveldt

I notice Ubiquiti APs are rarer to find then hen's teeth nowadays. Is there really such a huge shortage in the market?

Been waiting for some LR APs for a month now, but supplier can't find any. Says earliest ETA is October ?
There’s not even stock on Amazon (I was desperate). On some items it did show expected stock in October

powermzii

Expert Member
What is the link to that Unifi site where you can setup a point to point link and it shows you elevation etc and you can choose different point to point devices?

Edit: NVM - found it >> https://link.ui.com/#

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Looks like there is an update afoot for the Unifi Network Application

Anyone updated? Looks to be some good fixes and improvements there. Seems to be a RC at the moment and only manually update able
I must check what version I'm running (as a container with Watchtower so it's always updated to the latest version available) but I have this annoying thing where every couple of days I cannot see the AP in the dashboard, then I need to run a set-inform on the AP to get it to show again. Mildly annoying.

EDIT: Just checked, it's V 6.2.26

powermzii

Expert Member
New Unifi Network appliance announced - Unifi Dream Router

Wifi6 (4x4); 2 POE ports (AF); 128GB SSD built-in; Runs Network, Protect, Access, Connect (?) and Talk; Expandable SD card

gbyleveldt

Looks like there is an update afoot for the Unifi Network Application

Anyone updated? Looks to be some good fixes and improvements there. Seems to be a RC at the moment and only manually update able
Did my UDMPro last night, so far so good. I guess we will see during this week. Main reason I took the jump was for the IoT optimisation; let’s see how that works out.