The official Ubiquiti Devices Q&A Thread

georgelza

... I'm looking/thinking about a Ubiquiti switch/Managed, like 24 ports, but not all needs to be PoE... maybe 4 or 8 ports.

would be nice to have 10Gb front end SFP+ ports

suggestions.

G

gbyleveldt

Hmmm, if you want SFP+ you're kinda stuck with the Pro range of switches. I also wanted SFP+ and a few PoE ports, ended up grabbing the USW-Pro-24-PoE. What's nice with this one is that 16 ports are PoE+ and 8 are PoE++. Waaaay more switch than I need but now I'm hopefully future proof, especially seeing as the new AP LR's are going to need PoE+

georgelza

hmmmm, was going to ask that you share a link, but think I found it... R15k... ye not...

Need something cheaper, at that price I'll rather do a UDM Pro Se when it becomes avail (which is 2.5GbE + 8xPoE ports and then keep using my unmanaged switch for now, of do a Unify managed switch without PoE).

actually trying to reduce the cost, see my other thread re Current/Future1/Future2.

G

georgelza

Hmmm, if you want SFP+ you're kinda stuck with the Pro range of switches. I also wanted SFP+ and a few PoE ports, ended up grabbing the USW-Pro-24-PoE. What's nice with this one is that 16 ports are PoE+ and 8 are PoE++. Waaaay more switch than I need but now I'm hopefully future proof, especially seeing as the new AP LR's are going to need PoE+
... is this the one you were referring to:

G

gbyleveldt

hmmmm, was going to ask that you share a link, but think I found it... R15k... ye not...

Need something cheaper, at that price I'll rather do a UDM Pro Se when it becomes avail (which is 2.5GbE + 8xPoE ports and then keep using my unmanaged switch for now, of do a Unify managed switch without PoE).

actually trying to reduce the cost, see my other thread re Current/Future1/Future2.

G
I paid R12k for mine last Thursday; I see they out of stock now.

Just remember that the UDMPro-SE will have PoE ports (not PoE+ which is required by the Wifi6 AC-LR AP versions), but it only has the 1 SFP+ port for LAN. The other SFP+ port is for WAN. Also, remember that the backplane on both the UDMPro and UDMPro SE is only 1Gb. I was holding out for the UDMPro-SE, but when I saw it still has the 1Gb backplane limit, I just went and grabbed the current UDMPro. Lastly, I suspect the price for the SE version is going to be north of R11k based on the US$ difference between the UDMPro and SE version

gbyleveldt

G
Nope, that one is only SFP uplink, not SFP+

This is the one I have
https://hype.co.za/products/usw-pro-24-poe-unifi-switch-24-port-poe-sfp-gbe-ubiquiti

Oh, and FirstShop can feck right off. I used to be a big supporter of them but they killed all goodwill on my last order (making me wait almost 2 months for stuff and then expecting me to wait for another month, while other resellers had the stuff in stock). I would avoid them as they show stock on their website, but when placing (and paying for) the order they only then confirm items out of stock. This happened twice actually

alqassam

Expert Member

G
Usw pro 24 Poe all 24 ports have Poe and 8 Poe++

The one you mentioned have a limited number of Poe ports

alqassam

Expert Member
My us 48 500 pro died 2 weeks ago psu issue. The only decent thing to replace with was this but only has half the ports. Will need another in a year or so for camera expansion.

No Unifi stock in the country. Good luck getting your hands on anything for the next month or so

georgelza

I see that switch have PoE+ available, which is 25Watt/port, move than enough for a AP, and for a RPi4b as planned.

Not sure I need to go Pro then.

Input (WAN) is 1Gb Copper of Fiber, which should last me long enough, if I'm honest...
Thinking I'm going plug this into the LAN port of a pfSense device, now to decide what I manage where.
Thinking FW and VPN on the pfSense and network/vLan's/DHCP etc on the Switch

G

georgelza

Usw pro 24 Poe all 24 ports have Poe and 8 Poe++

The one you mentioned have a limited number of Poe ports

If I'm thinking bout it... 16 ports should be more than good for now...
I have 2 x AP's that might become 3... that leaves 13 ports for RPi4B's with PoE hats.

G

gbyleveldt

I see that switch have PoE+ available, which is 25Watt/port, move than enough for a AP, and for a RPi4b as planned.

Not sure I need to go Pro then.

Input (WAN) is 1Gb Copper of Fiber, which should last me long enough, if I'm honest...
Thinking I'm going plug this into the LAN port of a pfSense device, now to decide what I manage where.
Thinking FW and VPN on the pfSense and network/vLan's/DHCP etc on the Switch

G
You referring to the UDM Pro? If so, it's pointless going pfSense. If you determined to run pfSense then I wouldn't get a UDM Pro, I'd just get a Cloud Key to run the Unifi devices and leave WAN stuff to pfSense

alqassam

Expert Member
If I'm thinking bout it... 16 ports should be more than good for now...
I have 2 x AP's that might become 3... that leaves 13 ports for RPi4B's with PoE hats.

G
I think the Poe++ are for other devices like lights access control etc that run off poe

georgelza

You referring to the UDM Pro? If so, it's pointless going pfSense. If you determined to run pfSense then I wouldn't get a UDM Pro, I'd just get a Cloud Key to run the Unifi devices and leave WAN stuff to pfSense

Ye, was originally thinking pfSense with a UDM Pro SE behind it and then the unmanaged switch (where my hard wired devices and AP are patched atm).

if you see my other thread under networking I changed mind, use pfSense on the edge (as edge device going into the Infrastructure providers OTN or into the edge router of the ISP), + border FW it can also do incoming and outgoing VPN for me, and then have that run into a managed switch (the above 24 port/16 PoE), where all my hard wired devices are patched into as well as my 2 (to be 3) Unifi AP', I already run my controller on my TrueNAS.
G

georgelza

hi hi all

looking for someone that I can bounce some ubiquity network design off, busy looking at update/refrshing my home network, have a design that I think matches my want and the best options considering cost/budget.

anyone around that knows networks more than me and the Unifi switches thats willing to take this off line.

G

georgelza

Can do here... also. Just need to relook at what information is on my diagrams currently... we never know who else is watching this thread ;)

G

georgelza

... Ordered the Ionn from CME last night as infrastructure to host the pfSense on.

Next up is the switch, but before I do that want to confirm my thinking and then some how think about how i go from current to new.

G

yogidabear

No idea to be honest. Thats why I wanted to upgrade so I could see what difference it made. Especially for IoT devices and longer ranges.
Perhaps amongst other things it adjusts the DTIM from 3 down to 1 which can decrease battery life as your device is "more awake" This was an issue with Apple years ago so thats probably why we currently have a default on Unifi of 3. If you have IoT issues for sure try it. My house has so many apples it could be an orchard so will not enable for myself.

Edit - updated to 6.5.42 and have this enabled with no issues. It is only 2.4GHz that gets the DTIM knocked down to 1 and honestly not sure if Apple even has an issue any more so seems fine to use.

Last edited:

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Five Unifi AP's (3 x AC-Lites and 2x AC-LR) + Cloudkey - all wired.

When I add a 2nd WiFi network (fir my IoT devices) the entire network becomes unstable and clients lose signal.

Anyone encountered similar behaviour?