The official Ubiquiti Devices Q&A Thread

powermzii

Expert Member
T
guys

Whats the difference between:

Ubiquiti UniFi Flex Mini USW-FLEX-MINI 5-port Gigabit 1 PoE Input Managed Switch​

and

Ubiquiti 5 Port Gigabit Managed 1 PoE Input UniFi Flex Switch USW-Flex-Mini 5-port USW-5FLEXMINI​

Getting idea these are exactly the same switches.

G
They are the same switch... not sure if its a product listing issue. Its a decent little switch, compact and good throughput. It has no POE out though

alqassam

Expert Member
guys

Whats the difference between:

Ubiquiti UniFi Flex Mini USW-FLEX-MINI 5-port Gigabit 1 PoE Input Managed Switch​

and

Ubiquiti 5 Port Gigabit Managed 1 PoE Input UniFi Flex Switch USW-Flex-Mini 5-port USW-5FLEXMINI​

Getting idea these are exactly the same switches.

G
Flex mini doesn't pass through Poe.

Flex usw does

georgelza

happy with the no power out, at the location i have a dumb hub at the moment, looking at going switch with lan capabilities and this works, all devices at the location already have power supplies, including the hub,

Thanks.

G

skyw4lk3r

Flex mini doesn't pass through Poe.

Flex usw does
Both those are thr flex Mini. Same item.

Probably different suppliers with different pricing.

The USW-Flex outdoor rated with PoE is 3 or so times the price

alqassam

Expert Member
Both those are thr flex Mini. Same item.

Probably different suppliers with different pricing.

The USW-Flex outdoor rated with PoE is 3 or so times the price
I didn't look at the links just the text in the link.

But yea those are the same.

I need a USW for behind the TV I have 1 cable and it leads to an AP but need more cables for TV, AVR TV box and PS

powermzii

Expert Member
I didn't look at the links just the text in the link.

But yea those are the same.

I need a USW for behind the TV I have 1 cable and it leads to an AP but need more cables for TV, AVR TV box and PS
I have a spare USW Flex Mini sitting in my cupboard if you'd like. Lightly used

3Gee

Expert Member
I have a AMPLIFI HD and AMPLIFI INSTANT hardwired at my home

The INSTANT acts as a Mesh Point , would using Bridge Mode be the better settings option than the Mesh Point ?

Mzezman

New Unifi controller software available - 6.5.53

Some reported bugs:
GeoIP Filtering is not available because hardware offload is disabled
Traffic stats are borked
Issues updating on a CK Gen 1

Some highlights:
Ability to lock a device to a specific AP
1637653668040.png

Traffic inspector

1637653727798.png

PhireSide

Honorary Master
So I have an interesting situation afoot. As some of you know, Frogfoot in PE is rubbish, so I went and got a rain SIM with one of their loaner CPE's to use as a failover connected to my Edgerouter X.

All seems to be working fine and dandy with load balancing setup and working nicely, but @Leno mentioned something that I didn't take into account - Rain throttles streaming content, so ideally, I'd like to push that out over the FTTH connection, and route it back to the 5G connection if when the FTTH goes down.

I've looked into Policy-based routing, but I don't think this would work well as it needs a source MAC or IP as a condition, so unless we exclusively use a subset of devices for streaming, this might not be the best option.

My other thought was to write two scripts that can execute:

a) when FTTH goes down to route streaming traffic over eth1 where my rain CPE is connected to and
b) to reroute streaming traffic to eth0 where the FTTH connection is once the connection is restored.

VyattaOS seems to be able to handle this, as I can specify a script to run when these conditions are met.

Am I overcomplicating things, or would this idea work? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

yogidabear

Am I overcomplicating things, or would this idea work? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Maybe not helpful as I do it with Mikrotik for something else. I route an IP range over WAN1 and when WAN1 goes down the route is invalid and obviously goes over WAN2. You dont need very specific IP's as you are not concerned about usage and can do a hit and miss. So if you need netflix and they are 196.45&37&25 etc just do a blanket 196.0.0.0/8

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Maybe not helpful as I do it with Mikrotik for something else. I route an IP range over WAN1 and when WAN1 goes down the route is invalid and obviously goes over WAN2. You dont need very specific IP's as you are not concerned about usage and can do a hit and miss. So if you need netflix and they are 196.45&37&25 etc just do a blanket 196.0.0.0/8
Thanks, this will put me on the right path - I managed to route Netflix and Youtube via FTTH, will test tomorrow when the house is quiet to see what happens when I pull the proverbial plug on Frogfoot

EDIT: I also put a firewall rule in place to force ICMP packets from my Smokeping server to use the FTTH connection, as tracking two inputs on one graph is a bit pointless. I'm still playing around with the different configs WRT the load-balancing setup, but so far I am happy with how it works. There is virtually no downtime and besides an initial problem where it wouldn't fail back to the primary connection, it seems to be running smooth.

Last edited:

Leno

Expert Member
Thanks, this will put me on the right path - I managed to route Netflix and Youtube via FTTH, will test tomorrow when the house is quiet to see what happens when I pull the proverbial plug on Frogfoot

EDIT: I also put a firewall rule in place to force ICMP packets from my Smokeping server to use the FTTH connection, as tracking two inputs on one graph is a bit pointless. I'm still playing around with the different configs WRT the load-balancing setup, but so far I am happy with how it works. There is virtually no downtime and besides an initial problem where it wouldn't fail back to the primary connection, it seems to be running smooth.
Glad you came right

Any idea what type of load balancing it is using? (based on src ip, src port, dst ip, dst port etc or just 50/50)
I know FNB is quite fussy on only accessing from one ip

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Glad you came right

Any idea what type of load balancing it is using? (based on src ip, src port, dst ip, dst port etc or just 50/50)
I know FNB is quite fussy on only accessing from one ip
Thanks.

Not a clue, to be completely honest with you. The config is pretty poorly documented so I had to do a lot of testing and trying to work around some of the settings. This is the guide I used: https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/205145990-EdgeRouter-WAN-Load-Balancing

This is probably what you would look at:

Weight
Defines the percentage of traffic that is forwarded out of each interface. The default weight ratio is 50/50.

Code:
set load-balance group G interface eth0 weight 70
set load-balance group G interface eth1 weight 30

I imagine that this could be handy with asymmetric connections, say a 50/50 FTTH link and a 25/25 5G link.

The 'Sticky' option is something I want to explore as this could come in handy for issues with FNB for example

This option will keep traffic sessions on the same WAN interface until they are timed out