The official Ubiquiti Devices Q&A Thread

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Yes, my UDM pro auto-updated yesterday and no problems so far. Digging the new features, being able to lock a client to a specific AP is pretty cool.
It's super handy for IOT devices. I only have one AP but if I needed two, being able to link them to specific AP's would help a great deal for static devices such as media boxes or smart switches

deweyzeph

Executive Member
It's super handy for IOT devices. I only have one AP but if I needed two, being able to link them to specific AP's would help a great deal for static devices such as media boxes or smart switches

I've got 3 Unifi AP's around my house, and I often see my IOT devices connecting to access points that are not necessarily the closest or best one. So this is definitely an awesome development.

yogidabear

Very seldom I see a device connecting to the wrong AP, but it does happen. Anyway I tested the lock to AP functionality and it obviously works. Then I upgraded the firmware of the unit I was locked to and the device did not roam so its a hard lock, opposed to "lock only if the AP is alive". Pity but you can decide if its worth it.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Very seldom I see a device connecting to the wrong AP, but it does happen. Anyway I tested the lock to AP functionality and it obviously works. Then I upgraded the firmware of the unit I was locked to and the device did not roam so its a hard lock, opposed to "lock only if the AP is alive". Pity but you can decide if its worth it.

I find it's mostly a problem when I'm restarting the AP's or restarting the entire system. The devices will generally tend to connect to the first AP that comes online and then remain pretty sticky on that AP even when an AP that is closer comes back online.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
So it's more a "disallow" rule than anything else which disallows all AP's except the one specified. Interesting:unsure:

yogidabear

I find it's mostly a problem when I'm restarting the AP's or restarting the entire system. The devices will generally tend to connect to the first AP that comes online and then remain pretty sticky on that AP even when an AP that is closer comes back online.
I always upgrade firmware manually, one by one, and this is not my experience. The AP comes back on and very quickly you see the devices jump back. All I have enabled is fast roaming, and do not use Minimum RSSI

TedLasso

Expert Member
Same issues. I normally try to update firmware at same time (I have 2 APs) so the IoT devices connect to their closest one.

This new feature is interesting but it should have been, lock if AP is available to allow for redundancy. Will still test with one or two iOT devices.

TedLasso

Expert Member
Updating to 6.5.53 now but making sure I have backup first in case it goes pear shaped LOL as it can do when running on Pi.

yogidabear

Same issues. I normally try to update firmware at same time (I have 2 APs) so the IoT devices connect to their closest one.
So not IoT related but I do not ever upgrade all AP's together. My experience the devices cant find the SSID so give up and you have to reselect the SSID or restart the wifi to wake up as they sometimes dont rejoin after hunting for a while. On mobile it sucks as they default to mobile data. Its not an Ubiquiti issue but rather a device issue.

Big fan of your show ;)

Mzezman

So not IoT related but I do not ever upgrade all AP's together. My experience the devices cant find the SSID so give up and you have to reselect the SSID or restart the wifi to wake up as they sometimes dont rejoin after hunting for a while. On mobile it sucks as they default to mobile data. Its not an Ubiquiti issue but rather a device issue.

Big fan of your show ;)
Yeah i also do 1 AP / Switch at a time as often then need to reprovision

PhireSide

Honorary Master
How is the performance on a Pi?
Not the person you replied to but when I had mine running on a Pi 3B it was just fine. It is quite a big heavy on memory though, 400 - 500MB if I recall correctly. A Pi4 with 2GB of RAM would be the bare minimum if you are running it alongside other services.

I moved mine to a Docker instance on my NAS, although it seems to gobble up the allocated memory space that I give it:

CONTAINER IDNAMECPU %MEM USAGE / LIMITMEM %
69bfb8614113 unifi2.68%624.3MiB / 680MiB91.81%

Mzezman

Not the person you replied to but when I had mine running on a Pi 3B it was just fine. It is quite a big heavy on memory though, 400 - 500MB if I recall correctly. A Pi4 with 2GB of RAM would be the bare minimum if you are running it alongside other services.

I moved mine to a Docker instance on my NAS, although it seems to gobble up the allocated memory space that I give it:

CONTAINER IDNAMECPU %MEM USAGE / LIMITMEM %
69bfb8614113 unifi2.68%624.3MiB / 680MiB91.81%
I have a Pi4b here that currently only running Home Assistant - and it seems to be doing that with no sweat at all. So thinking about what else i can load onto it. My current controller is on an old HP desktop that is also running Plex + Sonarr + Radarr as well as Blue Iris

PhireSide

Honorary Master
I have a Pi4b here that currently only running Home Assistant - and it seems to be doing that with no sweat at all. So thinking about what else i can load onto it. My current controller is on an old HP desktop that is also running Plex + Sonarr + Radarr as well as Blue Iris
My Pi4 can run about 10 smallish containers comfortably. I'm talking stuff like Plex (sans transcoding), Sonarr, Radarr, Lidarr, Jacket, Heimdall, Unifi, Smokeping and things like that. With just HA running, it should be just fine with running Unifi along with it.

TedLasso

Expert Member
Do you run it bare metal or hosted in Docker?
Bare metal
How is the performance on a Pi?
Perfectly fine. Utterly reliable and running of SD card, been running for years with PiHole too. I use Adguard on my Home assistant (Oracle VM) as primary DNS for internal and the PiHole as secondary DNS. Ensures things work even if the Hass VM runs into trouble which it does sometimes.

Big fan of your show ;)
I actually have my APs, switches,USG auto update at 3am on a Saturday night if updates are available. Never had issues once - touch wood.

My issue is that sometimes iOT device connect to the further AP as it came up first but is not optimal. The new switch to lock to AP is useful, but I think I will only use it when they next add the option, lock to AP if available.

Sometimes if I see IoT device connected to wrong AP, I just force a reconnect from UBNT console and it sorts itself out. Thankfully, regardless of this, I have never had devices fall off the network.

Love the show and the man. Trying to be more like him.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
So far so good with locking my IoT devices to specific APs.

It's been one of the more irritating things about loadshedding - having to trawl through the list to ensure that devices have connected to the closest AP

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
New Unifi controller software available - 6.5.53

Some reported bugs:
GeoIP Filtering is not available because hardware offload is disabled
Traffic stats are borked
Issues updating on a CK Gen 1

Some highlights:
Ability to lock a device to a specific AP
View attachment 1199184

Traffic inspector

View attachment 1199188

Local accounts have been killed off making my Home Assistant integration very dead.

Why the **** isn’t there an API.