The official Ubiquiti Devices Q&A Thread

sajunky

Honorary Master
After all that hard work inside the roof, the furthest AP, connected with a store bought 30m cable, connects at 100Mbps FDX and not gigabit.

AAAAARRRGH! This is a lesson, test the cables before you use them. In my case, will borrow a tester to see which pair is faulty , hoping all I need to do is just re crimp new jack's to get back to gigabit.
Cable tester is typcally two-part: handset and a dongle on the end of the cable. It will tell you whether you made a mistake in wiring, a distance where a wire is broken, so you know whether you need to replace the entire cable or just a single plug. Without tester finding a fault is a matter of try and error, but plugs are cheap, hope you bought it in excess. :)

If the cablee is layed improperly, speed will also downgrade. Observe 10cm radius, no sharp corners or an unneccessary tension.

Coverage? Do you really connect this AP by Ethernet cable or a wireless (mesh type)? The later would explain your question.

marlin178

Expert Member
So finally installed the APs on the ceiling and with cat5e cables to the switch.

After all that hard work inside the roof, the furthest AP, connected with a store bought 30m cable, connects at 100Mbps FDX and not gigabit.

AAAAARRRGH! This is a lesson, test the cables before you use them. In my case, will borrow a tester to see which pair is faulty , hoping all I need to do is just re crimp new jack's to get back to gigabit.

So far everything works like a dream . Also cool that the AP light gives off enough light so that at night you have a blue night light.

For the experts, is there a way to boost the power output of the AP? Sadly, after mounting the AP , the one that was supposed to provide coverage to my outside gate motor is barely receiving it . I had tested everything while on floor , but had to move AP when mounting about 7m away due to ceiling issues
So may seem like a daft question but are you sure your switch/router is a gigabit unit?

In terms of power, if you login to the controller, click on on devices and then on the AP in question. On the left side, click on config and you’ll see a drop down for radios- you can change the channel and power here. I would first suggest doing an RF Scan and then adjusting the channels and power.

Remember that upping the power is not always the right solution as you may land up with clients hanging onto that AP even if there are others closer by... but this is a discussion for non public holidays or days when my brain is in work mode :D

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
So may seem like a daft question but are you sure your switch/router is a gigabit unit?

In terms of power, if you login to the controller, click on on devices and then on the AP in question. On the left side, click on config and you’ll see a drop down for radios- you can change the channel and power here. I would first suggest doing an RF Scan and then adjusting the channels and power.

Remember that upping the power is not always the right solution as you may land up with clients hanging onto that AP even if there are others closer by... but this is a discussion for non public holidays or days when my brain is in work mode :D
Yes, its a gigabit switch. I have two of them. When I was testing the APs initially, I was using short network leads and all was fine. It's that 30m length thats faulty . Hope I don't need to replace the whole cable. Will check the power stuff out . Thx

marlin178

Expert Member
Yes, its a gigabit switch. I have two of them. When I was testing the APs initially, I was using short network leads and all was fine. It's that 30m length thats faulty . Hope I don't need to replace the whole cable. Will check the power stuff out . Thx
Prob is the cable but you never know... could also be a faulty PoE injector but try with the cable tester first.

deesef

I don't know much about networking but i have an ac lite mounted to the ceiling and an edgerouter x connected to the fibre cpe.

I started with the ac lite and the unifi controller has always given me problems with logins or the controller not "seeing" the ac lite. I will probably need to reset it again to change settings on the ac lite.

I have 2 ssids, main and guest, guest has speed limits and also can't see other devices on the network.
Give the AC-LITE a fixed ip address from the edgerouter x. That solves my similar problems
I want to look into getting one. Where is the best place to get one?
There are many places that sell Ubiquiti but I have found Scoop to be the cheapest thus far for the items I required.
When I last bought (July? ), COMX was the cheapest supplier. You order on-line and force have it delivered, or pick up in Centurion the next day, is their supplier has stock.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
Prob is the cable but you never know... could also be a faulty PoE injector but try with the cable tester first.
No, I tried everything. Only thing is the cable. I am not even using injector now, since I have poe switch and I tried swapping ports too

MiffMeister

Give the AC-LITE a fixed ip address from the edgerouter x. That solves my similar problemsWhen I last bought (July? ), COMX was the cheapest supplier. You order on-line and force have it delivered, or pick up in Centurion the next day, is their supplier has stock.
I would say uniterm has the best pricing. You also get some discount being a mybroadband member. It's where I buy most of my networking gear

ActivateD

Expert Member
I got myself the following kit from miro:
1 x USG, 1 x Cloudkey, 1 x 16 port switch, 2 x AP AC LR, PiHole for ad-blocking

I am loving the setup everything works very well and my house is fully covered with strong wifi and I have cat 6 cables in all the rooms as well for future proofing. Next on my list is to get some UniFi G3 cameras and a big harddrive to store all the recordings.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
I got myself the following kit from miro:
1 x USG, 1 x Cloudkey, 1 x 16 port switch, 2 x AP AC LR, PiHole for ad-blocking

I am loving the setup everything works very well and my house is fully covered with strong wifi and I have cat 6 cables in all the rooms as well for future proofing. Next on my list is to get some UniFi G3 cameras and a big harddrive to store all the recordings.
If you just bought, look at the new cloud controller 2 which has a 1tb hard drive built in for recording the video feeds. Maybe you have time to return the cloud key to get the updated one which does cost a bit more , but will solve your future problems

ActivateD

Expert Member
If you just bought, look at the new cloud controller 2 which has a 1tb hard drive built in for recording the video feeds. Maybe you have time to return the cloud key to get the updated one which does cost a bit more , but will solve your future problems
I got the cloudkey a few months ago so I doubt I will be able to return it. I will get the gen2 as that will most definitely cover my needs thank you for that.

NorthPole

Has anyone had a USG not hand out IPs? For some reason my network crashed, couldn't connect any device. Reset the USG. After a few days of toying I connected it to the standard TP-Link WR840n, and O was able to connect to it within seconds (the TP link was the DHCP server set to 192.168.1.2). If I remove the TP after setting it up, the USG runs for a while then dies again, Internet is useless, connect the TP link and bang everything except the USG works. No amounts of resets work...

Any ideas? I am running the latest firmware, the unit is only 8 months now...

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
Has anyone had a USG not hand out IPs? For some reason my network crashed, couldn't connect any device. Reset the USG. After a few days of toying I connected it to the standard TP-Link WR840n, and O was able to connect to it within seconds (the TP link was the DHCP server set to 192.168.1.2). If I remove the TP after setting it up, the USG runs for a while then dies again, Internet is useless, connect the TP link and bang everything except the USG works. No amounts of resets work...

Any ideas? I am running the latest firmware, the unit is only 8 months now...
Not being an expert , but you could have an IP conflict of some sorts.

Have you gone through these steps

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/236281367-UniFi-How-to-Adopt-a-USG-into-an-Existing-Network

NorthPole

Had to restart it a few times to get an IP just on a dumb switch and the USG. Amended it as need be. connected it to the network with nothing but a Cloud Key and a AP lite. No IP given from the AP... restarted the network and left it, and still nothing. Don't know whats happening that it stopped working now. Wonder if a power trip somehow damaged it... Run bloods hot when i managed to get it working a week ago

MiffMeister

Had to restart it a few times to get an IP just on a dumb switch and the USG. Amended it as need be. connected it to the network with nothing but a Cloud Key and a AP lite. No IP given from the AP... restarted the network and left it, and still nothing. Don't know whats happening that it stopped working now. Wonder if a power trip somehow damaged it... Run bloods hot when i managed to get it working a week ago
They do run quite warm. Have you checked that the DHCP service is running ?

NorthPole

Made sure it was running on the USG right after I reset it. Wonder if having my Controller set up with the DHCP server option,which requires the USG, is causing the issue perhaps?

MiffMeister

In the controller is where you set the DHCP option, Which will only work if you have a USG. The controller itself doesn't do DHCP